The Film Thread

Off to see it tomorrow evening, can’t wait, rewatched the first one last week, as my memory is shite and want to make sure I’ve not forgotten anything :wink:

Watched Oppenheimer. Mrs Toro and I broke it up into two parts.

Great movie

2 Likes

Haha @PeachesEnRegalia

Finally got around to watching Saltburn.

Definitely not worthy of the hype that initially surrounded it. A twist that could be seen a mile off, which may or may not have been the point, who knows. Feel like the director was trying to get a number of themes across but didn’t do a particularly good job with any of them, we’ve seen identical themes executed far better in similar films. The actors all did a fine job, but eh, it should only be remembered for a brining a catchy song back into the mainstream.

Fify

Saw “Madame Web”

A movie that is so bad that people need to see it for the cluster fuck that it is. Thoroughly enjoyed myself.

On the way to see ‘Anatomy of a Fall’.
It’s three hours long. I bloody hope it’s worth it.

We watched Napoleon at the weekend which is now on Apple+.

Overall, I would say that we were rather disappointed. I normally like Ridley Scott films but this felt a bit flat. For someone with a rather dense history it was always going to be difficult to fit everything in around Napoleon but this seemed to waste around two-thirds of it’s running time with him moping about Joséphine. No great insight to his political or military thinking. A few decent cinematic battle scenes as you would expect from Scott but nothing to write home about either.

And it was also over half way through before Joaquin Phoenix managed a second facial expression. I also get the impression that they were playing fast and loose with the historial accuracy for not particularly dramatic purposes.

I can’t help but think that this would have been far better as a miniseries.

2 Likes

I haven’t even bothered adding it to my watchlist…

1 Like

TBH, I rather regret that I did. And I’m usually really into historical dramas.

1 Like

Blasphemy

I wonder why :thinking:

That’s almost exactly what I remember reading about a review about it - basically all Josephine - which makes it an easy swerve. FFS the least interesting bit about him is who he’s married to - it seems like some sort of mistaken ‘feminist’ trope to show the woman behind the power or something.

2 Likes

It’s good. Excellent acting inc the kid. Long, but not overly so.
Interesting dissection of a failed marriage.

Yeah Sydney Sweeney is very very good looking.

Playing fast and loose with historical accuracy for no real reason is one of Scott’s trademarks. Nothing stand out about that being a thing with his Napoleon pic; part and parcel of his historical filmography.

1 Like

Dune is on Netflix.

I’m rather conflicted. I loved the old movie and worried that I wouldn’t like the new one. But I watched the old one ages ago and haven’t watched a good movie recently.

The Old Oak is on Netflix apparently.

The old one is an interesting academic exercise in analysing how so many bad decisions can make their way into a high budget high profile film, but as a film…

1 Like