The Film Thread

I like Rich Hall, he did some great programmes for the BBC on American culture and history.

2 Likes

We watched the Kitchen on Friday, Daniel Kaluuya’s directorial debut. The world building was interesting, but the social commentary it so clearly intended itself to be just never seemed to materialize beyond the entirely superficial. Instantly forgettable unfortunately.

2 Likes

Dune Pt2 - March 2024

Zendaya arrives at the world premiere of Dune: Part Two in London. The sands of Arrakis replaced the red carpet in Leicester Square on Thursday evening for the star-studded cast of the sci-fi epic. Anya Taylor-Joy also confirmed rumours she will be part the ensemble as Canadian director Denis Villeneuve takes UK audiences back to the desert planet on 1 March 2024.

2 Likes

I wonder who she’ll play? She already looks rather other-worldly.

1 Like

I don’t know the specifics of the scenario and if it will cover some storylines that come later in the books but I imagine she’d make a great choice for grown up version of Alia Atreides.

1 Like

I just looked it up and it was a (very young) Alicia Witt in the 1980s film so I could see that working.

Anna Taylor - Joy

Tried - but failed to name each actor :0(

2 Likes

Great film…great music…

I heard the animated film ‘Nimona’ is supposed to be fantastic. Wouldn’t mind seeing that.

Watched this last night. Very unsettling and disturbing, but too ambiguous for me. Not sure if it’s deserving of all the good reviews…

2 Likes

Is this similar to buying clicks on YouTube or subscribers on Instagram?

What a joke.

The first one was probably the last movie which I didn’t regret watching in cinema. I’m sure the second one will be good too.

But nowhere near a classic line Shawshank.

2 Likes

There are loads of these things that get quoted, like Rotten Tomatoes ratings or whatever. I’m very skeptical of any of them and I’m pretty sure that newspaper reviews involve a lot of client journalism.

1 Like

I wasnt a huge fan of the first one. I kind of enjoyed it, but it felt like it was an incomplete way to tell a do a first chapter in such a complicated story. I think with projects like this you have to do more to make each film an independently worth watching exercise, even if you know more is coming in the next one. this just felt like 2.5 hours,of incomplete world building that then just stopped at a some stopping point somewhere in the middle. More like the way you choose when to stop reading to your kid at night than a coherent film.

But I kind,of know what’s coming so am very excited about part 2, and I can understand why the industry might be trying to juice this given the difficult they have had the past 4 years and some previous cinema saviors fell a bit flat (MI)

2 Likes

Me too. Thought it was sci-fi crap (funny that).

I watched Ghostbusters: Afterlife last night. It is both enjoyable and disappointing.

There is certainly enough of a core idea to have done justice to it being the third film of the series (ignore the Fieg abomination, this is a straight sequel to Haaland and the pink goo), but it dives way too deep into nostalgic fan service that it creates stupid plot contrivances, maybe even a couple of plot holes, and skates by the last third of the film on just really lazy writing.

As I seem to think with lots of films I watch these days, it looks like it was filmed on a passable first draft of a script, but just no one came back to clean up the dumb shit bits before they started filming. It’s a shame as well, because the issues seemed so easy to clear up and make a somewhat enjoyable but sometimes eyeroll inducing nostalgic trip with fun actors (I’d watch Kerry Coons and Rudd do anything) into a film that could sit comfortably alongside at least the second one, if not ever likely to match the heights of the original.

1 Like

Unfortunately, I think I put more thought into that review than they did the to script revisions

Went to see Dune 2 last night. Disclaimer: I’m something of a Denis Villeneuve fanboy and I’m also a fan of the source material. I absolutely loved every second of it and my only gripe is that film wasn’t an hour longer.

I assume that people who didn’t like Enemy, Arrival or Blade Runner 2049 won’t like it, unfortunately, but I love that this is atmosphere and emotion driven, rather than action driven sci-fi (even though there’s much more action than in the first part of what will hopefully be a trilogy).

6 Likes

My son watched it yesterday. The local cinema did a double bill with the first part. He loved it and said he thought the second film was the stronger of the two.

1 Like

I agree, I absolutely loved the first part but the second one is a class above it. It expands on every aspect seen and heard in the first film, it feels grandiose but grounded at the same time. Again, I’m a biased follower of Villeneuve’s work but I feel that this film will get the recognition and success that the first Dune and Blade Runner 2049 should have got, in my opinion.