The Film Thread

As Good As It Gets update:

Utter shite. No wonder I hadn’t watched it in over two decades.

4 Likes

I also revisted something last night, District 9. Seems to be one that gets better with time and the more the world fills with assholes

5 Likes

yeah, District nine was amazing…

‘what are you doing with that prawn?’

blew my mind when i first watched it…

2 Likes

A film with I think a smallish budget but with almost everything, a good story, a social message, humour, and that ending somewhat haunts me.

3 Likes

I’d add good special effects to that as well. It genuinely had a documentary feel about it, even though it had clearly had a lot of post production trickery on it.

2 Likes

I didn’t appreciate it at first. It was on tv, i missed the start and thought it was too gritty and not a polished sci fi. But its grown on me the more times Ive seen it. Little things here and there through it.

I know what you mean but in my mind it reminded me of a Batman story I have. Lots of news snippets, opinion pieces etc. throughout the story.

We need a sequel i think but I’m not sure how much demand there is for it. The messaging is a little too close to home for many nowadays. I can hear screams of woke already.

2 Likes

Madame Web

It’s not awful awful, but it’s awful. They couldn’t even be bothered to sound check the “villain’s” voice to make sure it was in sync with the obvious dubbing. Couldn’t even take pleasure in seeing Sweeney on screen either seeing as they dressed up as some geeky teenager.

1 Like

Apparently, they are making a remake of Barbarella with her. I have a bad feeling that it will be a complete travesty.

It’s a pity, because I think she is actually a good actress.

It is newly added to HBO so I watched it last night. It is spectacular.

3 Likes

Sony struck their deal with Marvel for Spiderman at a time when no one else was really interested in comic book stuff so they managed to work in a provision that they’d retain exclusive film rights to SM and related characters as long as they remained active in releasing films.

Then Marvel studios kicked into production and wanted to reclaim the Spidey rights so Sony found themselves having to make films just for the sake of retaining their rights. That explains the entire Andrew Garfield series of films. Madame Web seems like its a film that comes out of the same situation - if they make a bad Spidey related film they retain the rights to SM and Disney has to pay them, a LOT, to include Spidey in any Marvel studio production.

2 Likes

Looking forward to watching this. Creating quite a storm with the crazed left going after any critic who dares to review it.

Well there appear to be some reviews out there. Apparently they didn’t have any critics screenings, which is usually because a film is shite, although in this case it appears that they want to play into a narrative that the evil lefties are cancelling them.

1 Like

Seen it? Neither have I.

Well, I think that’s the point. No critics have seen it. There are lots of glowing user reviews. A bit like unknown chinese branded white goods on Amazon.

When they don’t do critics screenings they do eventually get reviews. The hope is that word of mouth will outweigh duff reviews. It might genuinely be hilarious. I suspect it is just a marketing gimmick rather than them losing confidence in the product.

1 Like

Any critic that still wants a job will definitely not review this.

Exactly. shills :slight_smile:

1 Like

So one reviewer of note does step up:

Walsh isn’t trying to convince anyone who isn’t already in agreement. He has an audience who will watch this and predictably think it is some brave insight. He doesnt just play to that with the content but, as you have pointed out, the positioning of it with a huge dose “help, I’m being repressed” shtick

3 Likes

Sydney Sweeney

Sony’s stepped up a notch with their animated spiderverse films though.