The Film Thread

Will the sequel to this movie have a happy end?

Ambidextrous. Left hand for wanking and wiping, right hand for everything else.

Reported.

2 Likes

With Marvel having to drop Jonathan Majors the next phase of the MCU has had to pivot away a Kang story line. They revealed last night it will now based around Dr Doom who will be played by Downey. Apparently there is some multiverse storylines in which Tony Stark becomes Doom

:man_shrugging: :see_no_evil:

2 Likes
2 Likes

Just having a lazy Sunday morning watching Die Hard films on Netflix- there’s a warning for tobacco depictions at the start. :joy: So shooting and stabbing people are okay, but having a ciggie isn’t?

Absolutely ridiculous.

3 Likes

I was watching an adaptation of Great Expectations a whole back that had this “smoking” warning on. No tobacco. They were smoking opium.

5 Likes

I watched Alien Romulus last night, I didn’t feel it like it added anything new or interesting to the Alien franchise but was reasonably enjoyable nonetheless.

I can’t remember from the previous movies, but is it obligatory to have at least one English character who is thoroughly irritating, and therefore you don’t mind too much when the inevitable happens…?

2 Likes

Isn’t that true of all US movie franchises?

1 Like

Anyone else watch Longlegs?

Fair shout :yum:

We ended up watching Mississippi Burning last night. It’s one of Alan Parker’s best films and seems a mile away from his musicals. It’s also an epic performance from Gene Hackman.

Anyway, the film came with trigger warnings for “violence, smoking, and alcohol use”. It is a violent film. Often shockingly so. It’s also worth mentioning that the film is set in 1964 and revolves around lynchings administered by the Ku Klux Klan and their supporters. The kind of brutally racist language used by them was both accurate for the time and would have been pretty shocking then, appalling in 1988 when the film was made, and pretty much off the scale of what is socially acceptable today, whether in a piece of historical fiction or not.

You would think that might be worth a warning to those who could be traumatised by such events. However, the fact that someone smoked a ciggy in 1964 appears to be worth mentioning.

2 Likes

Absolutely great film.

3 Likes

Brilliant movie. Hackman is always worth watching.

1 Like

I first watched that as a kid, without any prior knowledge about the events that inspired it. For years, I was frigthened by that film, especially when I learned that those events were indeed true. The hatred that was portrayed looked absolutely real. Over time, Michael Rooker became one of my favourite actors but his performance here is more terrifying than when he played a serial killer!

2 Likes

It’s a film that has one of my favourite scenes. There is a scene of a Klan rally or something like that where one of the attendees brings their young child with them, carrying the child over their shoulder. The camera pans in on the child’s face and dwells there for what seems like a beat too long, but that was the point. It was a shot meant to emphasize the innocence of the child amongst all this hate. A statement that the hate isnt inherent, but that there is a path that has to be actively taken to get from where the child is to where the adults at the meeting reached in their lives.

3 Likes

( apparently the cameraman just had to swat a fly from his face, but hey…your version sounds better, lets go with that)

2 Likes

Yeah, bollocks to the transfer deadline. I’m in this sort of mood.

5 Likes

When Hughes asked our stats guys to find him an alternative to Zubi the model came back with this response

7 Likes

I’m just about to watch As Good As It Gets for the first time in about twenty years, after one of my friends described me as “just like Mr Udall, but without the OCD”.

I corrected him on two fronts: firstly, I would never find Helen Hunt attractive and, secondly, I wouldn’t soften the way Jack Nicholson’s character does.

Bloody snowflake.

2 Likes