The Film Thread

I always think best film ever depends on your age.

I remember as an 8/9 year old being blown away by Jurassic Park and again aged 10/11 by Indépendance day.

I think at a younger age you’re impressed more but when ever somebody asks me best film
Those 2 Are always near the top Because I can remember those 2 films in particular just completely being awesome and blowing me away.

I loved Armageddon too.

And training day

1 Like

Woah, that’s shallow.

It does and it doesn’t I think. Great films are always great but what tends to let them down as they age is the production quality. Only last night I caught the end of Casablanca. Great film.

I think the real problem is today, films have in the main become simply awful. Joker has been the best film I’ve seen in some time. I’m a Star Wars geek having grown up the right side of the Ewok line. The latest were ok but when you dig into them they were pretty shite in reality. The actual back story of the internal wrangles within Disney (and Lucas) on the production and filming of those episodes is far more interesting. Kathleen Kennedy does not come out well from it, deservedly so I think.

Even looking at Prometheus and Alien Covenant. WTF were they? Daft doesn’t get anywhere near it.

That said I am looking forward to the new Batman film. I really enjoy those films and the comics for that matter. If they can capture some of the darkness and how fucked up Bruce Wayne really is they might be onto something. That has been my only real criticism of the latest traunch (Bale and Affleck). For me they didn’t quite capture the inner conflict. Still loved them though. And I could watch Anne Hathaway on a Bat Bike in leather all day …Blubber :crazy_face:

One thing I’ve noticed with modern movies is that the script writing and world building takes an absolute age. I’ve been watching some random 80s and 90s stuff on Netflix and by-and-large they give you the title character, the context and the problem within the first three or four minutes. From that point the movie can “start”. Even The Last Samurai or The Patriot, so-called Epics (and therefore would be more forgivable to takes its time), has everything clearly defined within a few minutes.

My favourite film, Children of Men, has a brief news report about the death of the ‘Youngest Person in the World’ - an 18 year old. It shows everyone crowded around the TV apart from our title character, who doesn’t show any interest while he buys a coffee. It shows a slightly stylised dystopian London and then it shows that coffee shop get bombed. That’s about 60 seconds on screen. In that time you know by implication that women can’t have babies anymore, that they haven’t been able to have them for 18 years, that our title character is jaded and weary of the world, that the film is set in future London, that there are serious political problems and terrorism/bombing is happening. 60 seconds and a good portion of the world is built, the viewer understands the context (of course they continue to build that world but in a natural way as there is now no pressure to throw all the information at the viewer because the core ideas have already been shown).

Modern movies don’t seem to be able to do this. They have to spell everything out to you, everything must be verbalised even if it sounds off-putting and unrealistic. The plot of the film sometimes isn’t even revealed until the final few minutes of a two hour, fifteen minutes CGI snoozefest. If they made Children of Men now, then the opening of the film would probably be a full 20 minute story of the first person to notice babies weren’t being born - which of course would be shown to us as being Theo when he was a protester - trying to raise the alarm, getting shut down by the government, finally convincing everyone they were right. Then they’d come to the future and have some characters discuss at length how and why the facist government were able to come to power and we’d also get a full backstory on the rise of the Fishes terror group. It would take 30 minutes and the film wouldn’t have even started yet.

There are obviously major films that do not have this issue (1917 was the latest great film I saw, that film has everything clearly outlined and the movie has begun within about 90 seconds) but mostly, probably because the studio is insistent on there being scope for a sequel - or multiple sequels - it seems that for a lot of films the plot doesn’t actually start until a good 30 minutes into the run time. It does my head in.

What’s shallow? Me? Why?

No offence meant, poor attempt at a gag. So sorry for that.

I just meant that I felt the film was very deep in the questions it asked.

1 Like

who loves horror movies or gory ones?

Saw would count as one of my favourites…although the sequels did get a bit tiresome, but with Chris Rock and Samuel L Jackson doing a reboot, might give a new life to the franchise.

I also love Purge series. To me, while it is a movie, but it is a true reflection of human nature if there are no laws, that there will be anarchy if laws are not present, even if laws are hugely imperfect.

Jeepers Creepers have been also a favourite, too bad there is only 3 so far. Rumours of a 4th one coming but not confirmed?

And classics like Mike Myers in Halloween and Leatherface from Texas Chainsaw are some of my favourite “bad guys” I sympathize with.

Too many…in recent years, the Conjuring series and its spinoffs have been pretty good for me too.

The only horror film that had an effect on me was the original Japanese Dark Water. Normally, I don’t bother turning on the lights when I go upstairs to bed; I did after watching that.

1 Like

oooh that’s an interesting choice. I like him as an actor, lots of potential with him in this role I feel.

Can someone please remind me what was the film that won last years Oscar? Or was it this year. A Korean film I think it was, and the director please. Time to try and get to see them I think.

Booo sucks

Parasite.

20 something soomething

1 Like

Thanks

I also googled it because some @cynicaloldgit was being true to name :wink: :wink:

1 Like

I haven’t watched it yet as I keep getting distracted and lose track of the subtitles :worried:

Another Korean film this year was the Train to Busan 2

Not as good as the first one but still fun if you like mad zombie movies.
2 Likes

Train to Busan any good??? I’m not a fan of zombie or apocalypse movies. But willing to try anything good.

You should be making your own judgment about whether or not something is “good”. After all, most things in life are subjective. :wink:

2 Likes

I love zombie movies the first one was the better of the two.

Sigh

You ask for a movie recommendations, you get a life lesson.

:blush:

Watched Train to Busan last night.

Honestly it was ok. Difficult bit is trying to find something new with zombies I guess. Once a zombie always a zombie. Seen one, seen em all.

Might have a go at Parasite tonight.

1 Like