The Film Thread

The real ‘Cocaine Bear’ story: Behind the ‘coke-fueled rampage for blow — and blood’ (nypost.com)
Loosely :rofl:

Yes it’s coming on Singapore this coming week. Gonna watch it.

4 Likes

This is the biggest issue from my perspective.

The amount of source material that is out there it almost feels like Marvel are trying to get =60 years of comics all crammed into the filmverse as soon as possible.

The 2nd issue for me, is that newer fans, who have only come due to the films/tv series get attached to certain characters/actors and so as the phases progress and expand they moan and complain about newer characters getting added. But in their defence, some of the writing in the newer stuff as been rather bad - Captain Marcel is a classic example

london soccer GIF by Star Sixes

Fucking fat sausage fingers

Fozzie Bear Reaction GIF

Amazed by these digital clean-ups of old films. Watched It Happened One Night last evening on Tubi. Originally filmed in 1934. The remastered version makes it look like it was shot yesterday. I think they lose some of the context shading of the original film, but the clarity is so cool.

3 Likes

Recently rewatched King Arthur: Legend of the sword.

I know it wasn’t very good but still wish they would have done the sequel(s).

2 Likes

Watched the Antman, thought that the acting is good, Kang is going to be a worthy villian, for some reason just felt this new phase after the finger snap just not generating enough excitement yet.

Also quite curious and hopefully see DC finally getting some coherent storyline linking their heroes with their new reboot.

2 Likes

Finally got around to watching the new Top Gun last night. The bar a sequel has to reach for it to be worthwhile goes up the longer its been since the original was released and so this was an almighty task, but they pulled it off. So credit for all involved, even Tony Scott as apparently much of this version had been mapped out for him before his death.

But the talk about it being better than original, or a credible best picture candidate? That is an over reaction. It was loaded with clichés and projected its plot developments from a mile away. It doesnt change that it was a fun film and pretty to look at, but sometimes that is enough. If this does gain traction in the best picture conversation for the Oscars I think that will be less about the film itself, and more about fears over the industry as a whole and rewarding this for being a film that brought people back to the cinemas.

1 Like

Basically Starwars finale but that’s no bad thing.

Good action sequences, the rest was utter crap. I’ve seen beer commercials with more depth.

Just seen an advert for something called Cocaine Bear. Wiki says: “After a 500-pound black bear consumes a significant amount of cocaine and embarks on a drug-fueled rampage, an eccentric gathering of cops, criminals, tourists, and teenagers assemble in a Georgia forest.”

WTF?

I’m sensing Oscar buzz.

1 Like

Ha, we were talking about that on here the other day. Rather than being a new entry in the Sharknado category, this looks to be a legit production with some proper names involved. Apparently its based on a true story as well :rofl:

2 Likes

This may be a reflection on my age, and newly found acceptance of my status in middle age, but I have a real issue taking seriously this new generation of actors being presented as leading men. Miles Teller and the guy who plays Hangman were a pale imitation of Cruise and Kilmer, and this what I’ve felt about everything I’ve seen Tiller in. Similar with Taron Egerton and Ansel Elgort. It’s clear that someone in Hollywood loves these guys, but I just cannot take them seriously “playing” adults.

2 Likes

See those posts now, thank you. What’s the sequel, then? Ecstasy Bear? Goes clubbing in Miami with predictable results.

He becomes a crypto billionare and is murdered by his Dominican lover’s ex boyfriend?

Wow. Ray Liotta’s last film. Elizabeth Banks directing. Interesting.

1 Like

I enjoyed it but I don’t think it lived up to the hype. You have to remember that the original Top Gun had rather mixed reviews. It was hugely popular with audiences but critics dismissed it as style over substance.

I suppose things have gone the other way now. The most profitable films tend to be a collection of set piece spectaculars with very little story or characterisation to link them together.

Well, the bear isn’t the only animal affected when the cocaine fell from the sky…

coke_cat_freak
de5