The Film Thread

Concussion was an intriguing watch, even though its based on the findings surrounding the NFL its very much still a talking point in the English game with ongoing trials at youth level.

Not sure about Will Smith’s african accent but the science behind his story telling and public speeches along with the emotions being potrayed were convincing.

1 Like

I’m just going to leave this here (@Klopptimist @Limiescouse )

1 Like

Oh god no……

They’re going to go full MSHEU on this one.

TLOTR is an epic tale. Whilst there are other stories, none of them have the detail for 3 films without a lot of new material being written. If it’s anything like Rings of Power, the project will be doomed from the start. A mountain to climb for sure.

2 Likes

What’s that abbreviated for?

Marvel Cinematic Universe of Women. The MCU becomes the MSHEU

To make it shorter of course. :wink::joy::nerd_face:

Finally, finally got round to watching ‘One Cut of the Dead’ and was thinking it wasn’t really living up to the praise I’d heard about it and then I carried on watching and it was so worth it. Very smart, very funny.

Film dropping all over the shop, sometime it’s just nice and relaxing to have a week off and put ya feet up and wack on some films.

Wanted to see what all the fuss about was with Marriage Story, acting was phenomenal but I couldn’t get emotionally drawn into it as it intended to do.

The Killing of a Sacred Deer? One of those which you need to understand and find some meaning behind the film title otherwise you’ll go into watching this with raised eyebrows saying to yourself “wtf’s going on here” with all the strange interactions and reactions, ending was very anticlimatic for me.

13 Hours - Pablo Schrieber really does have the perfect on screen presence for these violent types, was the same in Den of Thieves and Skyscraper. Seeing the graphic nature of the guys arm almost falling off after the last of the orchestrated attacks really ate away inside.

Watched Knock at the cabin. It’s probably not going to win awards but strangely to me, it has a very simplistic plot to the point that it seems like the debut of a high school play director who tries hard to weave some substance into gore and yet it’s enjoyable throughout the 100 minutes. Maybe it did not try to be overly clever and that’s the beauty of this M Night Shyamalan movie.

Oh jeez.

It’s a double edged sword. There is so much content in this world that there is plenty of opportunity to make more films from it. The problem comes when these films are studio driven rather than film maker driven. That’s when you get shit like Solo, a Star Wars story

2 Likes

I LITERALLY just used this phrase to describe this to a friend just now.

All depends primarily on the director and script, and then the cast.

Taking widely loved IP and making movies of that…you will never please everyone

People said that of Jackson’s films, and then he pretty much did. Like Star Wars, there will have years…decades even, of aspiring film makers mentally planning out new films that could be made from this material. Those films have a risk of doing something the established fans dont like so they are not a slam dunk, but they are least driven by the art. When it came time for new star wars films to be made, Kennedy ignored this 2+ decades of ideas and instead turned to none of these ideas, and gave the reins to an over rated hack who has never had a fully fleshed out idea in his life but makes things look nice. Everything I know about Zazlov says he’s going to do the same.

2 Likes

Well…shit

Its a pity that Jackson made the LOTR movies, because their success will spawn mediocrity at a grand scale. In fairness to Jackson, the trilogy was a triumph, but bastardisation of the story will be an annoyance.
Some things should just be left alone.

Is there any place for originality today?

3 Likes

Hardly anyone wants to take a risk on anything original.

Read reviews that has stated…

1. Watching this his set off Apple Watch heart monitors
  2. Left viewers so unsettled they had to run out of the theatre to throw-up
  3. One of the most deranged nightmares I’ve ever seen
  4. I was quite literally trembling in multiple parts of it
  5. My mouth was agape the whole time during the last 40mins of it
  6. The last half of the film felt like a panic attack
  7. Think I am sleeping with the lights on from now on… Truly terrifying movie
  8. I feel like I need to talk to someone because, Oh My God
  9. I sat in my car solid for a full 5mins trying to process WTF I just watched
  10. I actually got sick to my stomach several times watching it
  11. It was disorienting, disturbing, extremely anxiety inducing, an absolute journey into hell
  12. I could have just dropped some acid and experienced the same

So having read those comments I might just wait until someone on the forum watches it first and posts up a report. ! :0)

There’s so many stories told, so many characters and a huge world to play with. What’s even better for the “show creators” is they seemingly have free access to everything. The possibilities aren’t limitless but they are huge.

£5 says the first film has the first openly trans character in middle earth. Agenda over story every single time. After all, we’ve just had a black dwarf who’s ancestors all lived under ground.

Oh Disney, what’s happened to you???

Sholay, Magnificent Seven and Seven Samurai are an interesting collection of movies - very different but essentially the same. I’m pretty sure the original was based on an older generic story but each movie was (and still is) iconic. The reimaginings have enriched and retold the generic story in imaginative/interesting ways for new/different audiences.

1 Like

The first two are based on the Seven Samurai which I think was itself influenced by westerns but based on or inspired by an old story about samurai defending farmers.

1 Like