The History Thread

Isn’t it same as the Russian Revolution? Collapse of an old, decrepit order?

1 Like

Within two years Iraq had invaded Iran.

4 Likes

I enjoy history, was my minor study at university. I’m not subject specific, so many fascinating eras. The whole rise and fall of Roman empire, how ‘civilization collapsed’ and societal structure became very localized in an effort to deal with raiding (serf and lord that gives protection), to the Renaissance that was in part brought about by the plague ravishing the population, and intertwined in all that is the power struggle between the church and various heads of state…

And of course the 17th and 18th centuries culminating with French and American revolutions.

… followed by WWII. Mostly because I love wwII films, but also the fact that something that ugly is so recent in our history (both my grandfathers fought) is horrifying to think about if you dwell on it.

… so maybe I’m just fascinated by European history to recap :joy:

Those into podcasts, the history of Rome by Mike Duncan is awesome. He transitioned into ‘Revolutions’ podcast, which is also very good.

1 Like

I am saving that one for when I feel I can turn the subtitles off.

2 Likes

A lot of historians over the past 25 years so have shifted to the interpretation that no one actually wanted the First World War, but the hair trigger balance combined with the process of mobilization started a sequence of events that had no clear point of interruption.

3 Likes

My high school teacher (in US, in 90s) said pretty much that with the advance of technology, the build up of arms across Europe, a lot of generals wanted to play with the new toys, coupled with the treaties signed and the trigger balance.

2 Likes

As for Germany, I think it’s important not to forget that it was still a very young nation state at that point. That created ‘ambitions’ on the one side and fear on the other.

4 Likes

Very much on the side of everything this and this is quasi-history as it is speculative and non-sourced, but I do think the grand military defeat, complete national humiliation and exile, made him a bigger cunt than he may have possibly previously have been. Bitterness and humiliation tends to make most humans bigger cunts. Not that this is important for anything, just the way I think.

1 Like

Like Trump

2 Likes

My attack on Singapore was a bluff – a bluff that worked. I had 30,000 men and was outnumbered more than three to one. I knew that if I had to fight for long for Singapore, I would be beaten. That is why the surrender had to be at once. I was very frightened all the time that the British would discover our numerical weakness and lack of supplies and force me into disastrous street fighting.

Tomoyuki Yamashita[118]

3 Likes

I don’t entirely agree in that particular case, I see no difference in him now and before the election. I think he has been a malignant narcissistic sociopath for many, many years. Maybe he will get worse though, I don’t know. Probably he will and you are probably right about that. But he hasn’t been sane for many years I think. He seems unable to to feel empathy.

3 Likes

Erm, Everton fans?

2 Likes

Good luck with a chisel - you would need a lump hammer too - I cant recall hearing of any instances of people trying to break off bits of the Henge - too much like hard work - Bluestone was forged during volcanic activity - one of the hardest stones there is. Still cant see how anyone could “chip a bit off”

1 Like

Easier than cutting and moving them from Wales thousands of years ago.

3 Likes

Seeing as the UK Politics thread rather digressed onto a discussion about British Colonialism…I thought it raised an interesting question.

Which major empire/dynasty has left the best legacy for humanity? Boom! So easy it’s almost tempting to make it multiple choice :wink:

4 Likes

2 Likes

Can’t speak for the world.
Cologne was founded by the Romans and tbh Napoleon wasn’t all that bad either.

4 Likes

All roads surely lead to Rome?

Fucking Christians gave my lion indigestion :rage:

3 Likes

Ants, the undisputed Kings of the Subsoil since time immemorial.

3 Likes

Is that Finwe?

3 Likes