The History Thread

Mansa Musa…the Lion of Mali.

Richest man in the Middle Ages, they say…

(Not really an answer to the question…I just love that pic…from the Catalan Atlas of the late-14th)

1 Like

Rather than go with the obvious Romans, Greeks, Egyptians…I’m going to suggest the Abbasid Caliphate as a contender

Napoleon comes up short for me.

2 Likes

Groan.

He did always have the good plonk with him, though…

2 Likes

I will counter with the Mongols.

3 Likes

Napoleon, easily (in my opinion anyway).

I don’t think that big empires leave a lasting legacy for humanity in general. Artists, writers, thinkers and scientists do.

Empires? They are generally overblown, thus unstable, and tend to return to dust after some time. While this happens, a lot of people are killed.

2 Likes

Excellent Hope, its Nietzsche then!

1 Like

But Napoleon brought so much good, so much that we still cherish and still use. His reform of the French legal system, so ahead of the times, spreading it outside France’s borders. A tyrant and imperialist for sure, and I am kind of happy he lost the war, as I don’t like imperial structures (one culture almost always dominates, and I would like to speak my own language thank you very much) but without him it is not entirely clear where we would be now.

In my opinion, his positive legacy far outweigh the deaths from the war, including the famine imposed by the British blockade upon Norway. He just has a very enlightened legacy.

Just googled Code Napoleon, and found this, which seems to have been made by a decent teacher: https://courses.lumenlearning.com/suny-hccc-worldhistory2/chapter/the-napoleonic-code/

1 Like

Yes, but I was kind of going for that. Perhaps best to describe it as empire/dynasty/civilisation. I’d add mathematicians, engineers and architects to that list, wouldn’t you Hope? :wink: Not lawyers though.

1 Like

This is, I’m afraid another of the myths told regarding the fall of Singapore.

Although the northern shoreline of the island was primarily mangrove swamp, that didn’t prevent the construction of the naval base at Sembawang, which was on the north shore of the island.

The truth of the matter is that there was never any attempt to construct defences along the northern shoreline.

Ivan Simson, formerly the Chief Engineer of Malaya Command, arrived in Singapore on 5th August 1941. Being an engineer, part of Simson’s duties were to plan and construct defences that would stop or slow down any attacking forces. According to Simson, he examined the records of his predecessor and saw that he had been unable to get approval to start constructing major defences on the north shore of Singapore Island. Simson then developed a series of proposals for fortifying the north shore and arranged a meeting with General Percival, the commander of the British forces. According to Simson, Percival rejected all his proposals without giving any reasons. Simson then contacted his superiors in London to see if they could force Percival to authorise the construction of the appropriate defences. The High Command in Britain never took any action in reply to Simson’s appeal for help.

The construction of adequate defences along the northern shoreline would almost certainly have slowed down the Japanese advance. However I doubt that they would have done any more than delay the inevitable defeat.

6 Likes

Not to mention slavery. Slavery was an important aspect of the Abbasid Caliphate. For example the armies of the 9th-century caliphs consisted primarily of foreign slaves. :thinking:

1 Like

And of far more recent endeavours as well.

I’m not arguing for perfect. I doubt such an example exists. Just the one that contributed most to the advancement of humanity (warts and all).

1 Like

I doubt that their slaves would concur with your assessment.

Of course not. You could make the exact same point with regards to every single empire/dynasty/civilisation.

4 Likes

Sure, but @Kopstar has a decent point. I disagree with him about his chosen empire, think Napoleon has the most beneficial legacy of empires I can think of, but Kopstar is talking about is starting points and most positive legacy for the future. In Ancient Hellas, you had slavery and much cruelty, and yet, their culture produced indisputably a lot that has been incredibly important and beneficial for future human development.

2 Likes

All of my love of history has come purely from reading up of my own accord but with the caveat that my knowledge is entirely that of Europe and Persia. Many of the ancient empires provided knowledge that has enhanced human civilisation but at the same time invariably took a massive toll on human lives which apart from their citizens, or even them too, had very little stock placed on it. Life was cheap unfortunately so by that standard they were all various degrees of pretty horrible.

What about the Eastern Empires of India and China, were they perhaps somewhat more enlightened to their fellow man? Inequality would certainly have existed as would social classes but I’m talking about not doing slavery and the common practice of slaughtering and raping everyone they could in a sacked city (and then selling the survivors into slavery).

1 Like

I must have missed that humanity has advanced :face_with_monocle:

3 Likes

I don’t know why you have to bring Everton into it :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like

The boot room dynasty?

1 Like