The Hunt for Klopp’s Successor

regarding the prem proven manager, here is a list of the managers to have won a premier league with experience at a previous premier league club

Caludio Ranieri, jose Mourinho (who went BACK to chelsea to win it)and Kenny Dalglish

so by my quick calcs thats 3 in 32 years

given Ranieri was nearly a decade ago maybe you could argue its due…or maybe you could just argue its not really a factor, and that you just need a manager/coach that suits your club.

3 Likes

I’ll be honest, I’m a little more optimistic over Slot than I was over Amorim - it seems like he ticks a lot of the same ‘intangibles’ - nice guy, good personality, builds strong links with players and fans, attacking football, pro youth development - but with the added point that he plays a very similar system to what we already have.

That’s a huge tick for me. We have a squad that has been assembled and trained to play a certain way for most of the past decade, and we’re not looking to rip up the blueprint. We’re not sacking a manager because we’re unhappy with the way we’re playing or performing. Rather, a legend is leaving us at or near the height of our powers, and the idea of it being evolution not revolution is appealing.

Amorim would have meant a complete rebuild imho, and that was always my biggest concern with him. And, honestly, with him going from favourite to out of the race once Edwards and co actually start talking to candidates, I think the club had the same concern. We’ll never know the truth, but my belief is that he was asked if there was any flexibility in his tactics and he indicated no, hence us moving onto the next name on the list.

The Portuguese league is probably better overall than the Dutch league, but it’s not like it’s a huge insurmountable chasm between them. I’d argue they’re not miles apart in terms of quality at all.

10 Likes

Bunch of bedwetters you guys. Worth remembering that whoever we hire isn’t picked by FSG, they’re picked by Edwards and Hughes. This isn’t a situation where de Boer can try and blind an excited Baseball fan with fancy language to sweet talk his way to a job at the club.

And for all the talk about experienced options, or that managers are rejecting us… who are we talking about with that?

The “experienced” managers like Tuchel, Zidane, Simeone, Ancelotti, Conte, Mourinho etc… are either under contract with big clubs, don’t fit the club’s profile or are wankers who fall out with people everywhere they go.

The managers I thought we would look at would be stop gaps, if we had an agreement with Alonso in place for next season, so someone like Lopetegui but it seems like Edwards and Hughes have decided to press on with another long term option.

The likes of Amorim and Xavi… there was always something about Amorim I didn’t buy, even without any real detailed knowledge of him. He never really “felt” like someone we would give the job to. For Xavi, there is just no reason to leave Barcelona if he was offered an extension.

7 Likes

Or a magnificent combination of two or three of the above.

1 Like

Xavi already announced he’s leaving Barca.

1 Like

Welcome to Arnefield.

A foregone conclusion as soon as Joyce mentioned it yesterday.

Not the clog this thread with news about managers who aren’t coming here but its being reported that Barcelona and Xavi are still in talks about him staying, despite his announcement.

As always with that club there appears to be some power politics going on - this time about the structure and personnel of the coaching staff.

1 Like

If the idea of a stop gap manager is in our thoughts, then that person shouldn’t be at Liverpool.
We need someone to build his own legacy, as the club is football royalty.

7 Likes

For me, that’s the problem, apart from Slot’s accrued experience in a much weaker league; I have had the distinct feeling that the Klopp system has been sussed out by most of our opponents this season. Even when we’ve won, most performances have not been dominant ones. The other team usually has had several good chances, often scoring first.

If I’m honest, I would have preferred a Xabi-type manager to take over. Possession-based football with rapid and deadly counter attack, based on depriving the opposition of the ball and cutting through them like butter on the break. Our heavy metal style has burned through the collective fitness of the squad for years. Look at the amount of injuries we’ve suffered, which is quite insane really.

3 Likes

All the talk about Klopp’s style totally ignores that we have evolved our system several times since he was brought in and we haven’t played “heavy metal” football in years.

11 Likes

Yes, the frustration is that the club’s standing and squad quality has much improved but the availability of suitable managers with a good proven track record has perhaps declined in equal measure.

2 Likes

The official announcement still has more meaning than Barca now trying to lure Xavi staying (results improved lately in a hard season full of injuries, youth, general shit they’re in as a club, etc.). It’s obvious, they’re in a mess and initially it was/is his will to move on. Not saying it’s impossible for him to change his mind, but as things still stand, he’s leaving this summer. And that’s without the factor of him receiving offers, which might further influence or make him want to leave even more.

1 Like

Can hear the opposition fans chants already when we lose a game.

“You’re just a shit ETH”

Well that’s what i would do

:rofl:

…or a shit Phil Mitchell :0)

1 Like

well Im here for Anna Scott!! He has my full support…Lets go you REDS!!

2 Likes

Liverpool are set to open talks with Feyenoord on Wednesday over manager Arne Slot as they search for Jurgen Klopp’s successor.

I’ve just been trying to find out exactly why the Slot move to Spurs fell through last summer.

According to the Guardian it was financial: “Slot was interested in the chance to move to Spurs but the fact his contract contained no release clause this summer meant that negotiations between the clubs – via intermediaries – were always likely to be difficult. Slot’s deal, which runs until 2025, does have a buyout option in the summer of 2024.”

However, I couldn’t have seen a transfer fee for a manager being that much of an issue.

Also some rumour about him being interested in Chelsea:

Now I can’t see the fee being an issue for them, although I can see that Slot may have wanted to give Champions League football a try which neither of those clubs could offer.

Of course, is it possible that he was told that we would be looking for a new boss back then?

1 Like

Good luck to him, if it’s Slot. He seems like a good coach and a people person too. If he can set the team up and bring everyone together it will go a long way.

As for recruitment, I think we are too binary in how we think about that.

With Edwards and Hughes on board, there’s no way player recruitment will be all down to the manager/head coach. Equally, there’s no way Edwards/Hughes won’t seek the input of the manager/head coach either. That would strike me as disrespectful and potentially a stupid waste of money.

Both extreme scenarios simply cannot happen, and I don’t think they will. I expect a collaborative approach, between the suits, the manager and coaches, the scouts and the stattos.

I think this is where personality comes in. If they approach it as a High Noon, me or you, zero-sum type of thing, that strikes me as old school and unnecessarily power hungry.

But neither should they be a doormat who is happy to keep accepting something they just don’t want.

Collaboration.

3 Likes

Actually, I think that Klopp only started evolving his football from heavy metal to some form of progressive rock but never got to finish it. This is the only flaw that I can find in all those years he’s been here. Maybe he was just unlucky with injuries, maybe it was a lapse of his judgement, maybe it was both - but we played some of the worst football I’ve seen in my life as a Liverpool fan in certain matches in the last two seasons. Our team’s build-up was amateurish in the last month or so.

I can’t say that I’m excited about Slot but that’s not a criticism of him, there’s genuinely not one coaching name out there that would excite me anywhere near the feeling I had when I first learned that club were deliberating between Klopp and Ancelotti back in 2015. Stats are saying that he’s the right man to continue what Klopp has started (and I hope he will eventually transform the team into one that is always completely in control, bordering on Man City-type of predictable, almost boring football attacking football that wears down the opposition and delivers the results).

Club’s young players will definitely relish this news as they will go from one coach who nurtures youth to another. I’ve just read that there’s a Feyenoord player he gave a debut to at the age of 16…

Also, these articles are stating that he’s fluent in English, which is an important factor for me as a fan. What I don’t know is how susceptible his players are to injuries, i.e. whether his playing style affected them, albeit in a league that is much less physical than PL (but they still played at midweek-weekend tempo).

4 Likes

I have to say I am a little leery of plucking out someone who is the latest version of the best and brightest of the Eredivisie. Last such hiring doesn’t look so great right now.