The Hunt for Klopp’s Successor

Lots of reasons why a manager might take this position, but all are representative of the overall relationship not being good rather than the structure itself being problematic. And that pretty much reflects my position on the discussion…every potential criticism of the structure is really a criticism of not having the right people in place rather than a problem with the approach itself.

1 Like

But it would not be unreasonable to look at the older players in the squad and let 1 or 2 go in order to replace with younger players. Keeping balance of age and experience (and not having all 3 midfielders lose their legs in the same season again) is likely part of the overall recruitment strategy each year.

Great deep dive from redmen TV, watch these whenever they do one, very insightful.

6 Likes

We should just sack him now and save everyone the hassle.

People need to remember for the greatness of Klopp, his first season (granted he only took over in October a BR team), he still had enough time to influence the team but ended in 8th though we did go to the finals of 2 cups. And while it was not a great season, it was what Klopp showed he can do that made fans stayed patient with him, his heavy metal style brought confidence and tenacity back to the team. Even his first full season that followed wasn’t great though we did return to CL. So Slot might not succeed immediately, but he has to show a clear path and identify to his team and style and I think his second season he has to win something to show improvement. But who knows, he is going to win the quadruple in the first season.

2 Likes

I don’t see Edwards & co having a kneejerk reaction to a “bad patch”. It’s only if Arne proves totally inadequate that we have a problem.

2 Likes

im not ashamed to admit, i bought into the hype when he first came to the club…shame how its turned out…

1 Like

Nothing against that as long as Sporting Directors and higher hierarchy stay in the background.

Doubt you would want Hughes to do one press conference every week, be interviewed before or after every match, appear in other TV Football shows once a month.

That’s basically how it is in Germany.

1 Like

Why not? If he’s charming, engaging and informative it would be fine.

1 Like

In saying that, he inherited a poor team by today’s standards. Arne will be coming into a completely rejuvenated entire system. From the Academy up.

I actually think there’s a lot and even too much pressure on head coaches to answer a ton of questions multiple times per week, sometimes on topics that are not their field and what they’re not responsible for.

Or you simply don’t even hear some of these questions, because other people are not there to answer them. Priorities though, me speaking as a fan, I’d rather the club working well rather than me personally knowing more. The good of the club is always first.

If we all acknowledge and accept that football at the top level isn’t a one man show, then the owners and directors can be bloody delighted that they’re nicely hidden away from the spotlight and don’t have to appear. At least in England.

This is not me having a pop at the above structure, but from time to time there would absolutely be some very good questions to ask them. But it’s the coach who is at the front line 99% of the time.

I remember when Sarri was at Chelsea, at the time when there were (and there’s probably more today!) many questions about what Chelsea are doing and what’s their strategy going forward. Of course he couldn’t answer those questions.

6 Likes

Made me think of Klopp and the Super League stuff. We played Leeds away the day after it all came out, and Klopp had to answer questions on it.

1 Like

Or not engage him in the first place? :sweat_smile:

No seriously, any new guy coming in would face the same problem, so let’s see what happens.

My brother supports United and he was constantly texting during this period to show Klopp’s record was no better than Brendan’s. I remember feeling 100% confident that there was something incredibly exciting happening. Stats didn’t matter. You could see it and feel it.

Obviously we’re in a different place now. Despite the recent slump our squad is a completely different level than the one Klopp inherited. And no one could bring the charisma of Klopp. So it will be very different, but hopefully still great if we can all have a bit of patience

2 Likes

Sad Seth Meyers GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

4 Likes

Sorry Aplogizing GIF by Luke Cosgrove

Yeah it’s unfortunate for him that he was the contrarian in the family

1 Like

I was the same as you, the energy he brought, the attitude, the way we played were uplifting and there was a plan and a way of playing that exited me and he got the players to buy into it from the off.

I thought with the above, results will start to take care of themselves.

1 Like

Redmen TV have said that Achterburg is leaving as well, another great servant of the club

1 Like

Not Particularly surprised. Since Taff came in Kelleher has vastly improved I had a feeling he would go sooner rather than later.