The Hunt for Klopp’s Successor

I was worried this might distract them a bit

1st time I have watched Bayer Leverkusen, from what I have seen the style of footy from Xabi’s side gets my seal of approval, play some quality football but lthey did lack finishing quality especially Frimpong

2 Likes

I like Postecoglu’s style of footy but can be too naive defensively i.e against Chelsea

I thought Leverkusen looked OK but they seemed to struggle with the low block. A bit like us really. XG was about 2.6 so this was a finishing issue.

The substitutions seemed a bit sporadic. Xabi only switched 2 players and they didn’t appear to be particularly scheduled. I don’t know if that was because he was lacking suitable replacements or not.

I could see this working with us but obviously it’s not a one man show. Everyone from training staff down to data analysts have to have an input.

1 Like

So, is Xabi now off the shortlist then?

2 Likes

At Leverkusen, he doesn’t have the players, squad or money that we do, so, you would imagine he would be limited with what they can substitutions wise.

As you said they created several good chances and finishing let them down, but they did create a lot.

Playing against 11 men defending deep in their own 3rd is difficult for all teams but creating chances shows that he has the style of footy to prosper, and like any team it’s about taking those chances.

4 Likes

Haha, definitely stays on! Leverkusen did everything except score. Attacked at speed, excellent movement, pressed high up the pitch (although not the same type of pressing as Klopp has us doing), looked organised at the back.

If they fall off a cliff, and end up being closer to 3rd than 1st, that would be a serious concern, but it’s how he responds to this pressure of only being 2 points ahead of Bayern that will be of interest to FSG/Hogan/Analytics.

2 Likes

Oh, I’d have him. He may not have got a result today but it’s definitely watchable.

1 Like

Do we know a team that is in need of a new manager … :sunglasses:

https://twitter.com/FCBarcelona/status/1751351024084799668?s=20

Xabi out!

So Xavi is available as well :joy:

Thankfully don’t think it impacts too heavy on any decision Xabi would make.

1 Like

They are so screwed

I think maybe Xavi does…hence his decision :wink:

What about Massimiliano Allegri?

You wonder if Bayern might try and jump to the top of the Alonso queue.

They do have a habit of buying any player or manager from any German team that challenges them.

3 Likes

For me, it has to be Alonso.

1. The way he developed Bayer
  2. Speaks English
  3. He knows the PL and LFC
  4. I don’t know him in reason, but as a human being he seems to fit the bill
1 Like

Article on Alonso from Dom King.

Nothing groundbreaking, but it does speak to his ambition, particularly to take on Bayern, and attention to detail.

Interesting that his family moved to Germany, assume they will move again should he become our manager. Ironically it would be 20 years since he joined as a player.

Like everyone else, I can’t think past Alonso. He seems by far the outstanding candidate, and everything seems to be lining up for him to take over.

But I wouldn’t mind Di Zerbi either. I think he’s a cracking manager.

2 Likes

If you are Xabi Alonso - would you rather coach Bayern or Liverpool? He won’t be as easy for them to poach as the rising Germans stars they feast on.

3 Likes

On Xabi knowing the PL… it’s been 15 years since he was last here.

He probably knows the schedule (how tricky it is with training time during a season), but the league, level and variety of opponents… that’s changed a lot.

Some things are a nice bonus with him, but I wouldn’t overrate them either.

If he comes, it will be mainly because of the coach he is right now (very small sample), or even more so, the coach he might become in better circumstances, the fact that he speaks the language.

Link with Liverpool? Okay, he’s our ex-player, he was important, us fans love him since that time. It could give him a good start and a bit of patience, but on paper, I’m much more interested in what he offers in the things he will or should do. Less in the romance.