The Hunt for Klopp’s Successor

1 Like

Bayern have been champions for 15 times in a row or something.

No pressure at all on Xabi. Unlike Dortmund Leverkusen don’t expect to be in a title race at the start of every season.

Can probably be compared to Ranieris situation when Leicester won it.

1 Like

If it is Xabi, does he bring Wirtz and Hincapie with him?

1 Like

Haven’t seen much from Hincapie. All I hear is that is only starting because the better defenders are at the AFCON.

Believe Caicedo agent is his too. I hope we have blacklisted him…

2 Likes

It’s a shame there isn’t a manager who could act as a transition. Ideally, the likes of Alonso (my favourite), De Zerbi, and Amorim could do with another season or two.

I still have this nagging feeling about Zidane. Deschamps has extended his contract with France until 2026, and even though the PSG job has come up several times, Zidane’s never taken it. In the past, he’s said his English isn’t up to the level he’d want it to be to take a job in England, but who knows whether that’s changed right now. He certainly has the profile to come in straight after a Klopp, and take the team for a few years. I do appreciate he managed a whole host of egos and star players, which is in complete contrast to what we have here, so maybe a non-starter.

I’d be really curious what our data analytics team have gone on potential managers. Although Ian Graham isn’t around anymore, he was the one who said Klopp’s final season at Dortmund was the most unlucky he’d ever seen, and showed Klopp the stats to prove it.

I’m not sold on De Zerbi. It’s his personality, which leaves me doubting whether he has the gravitas to take hold of the job here.

1 Like

Think Roy Hodgson GIF by DAZN

I like De Zerbi, not keen on his suicidal football and unwilling to change even when getting battered (Arsenal). Think to succeed here, you have to have the personality and connection with the supporters, which I don’t believe he has.

Alonso is my favourite, Zidane I don’t think so.

2 Likes

I’m interested as to what metrics they use. Managerial interventions? Do subs work? Do teams improve after half time discussions? Do set pieces improve over a season?

I also wonder whether non-playing factors are taken into account. For example, what rapport do they have with the fans? Or the media, for that matter.

1 Like

I’d imagine you’d have stuff on the playing side of things, and the really detailed stuff like subs, and then separate notes on character references and so on. Very difficult to get on potential managers, but there’d be a way for it to be done, I imagine.

2 Likes

Poch has had a style similar to Klopp’s. Wouldn’t be against him either.

Xabi though is my wish, after that there’s a few candidates who all can say they should be considered.

2 Likes

Oh, and we’re 100% playing Leverkusen in the EL final in Dublin.

2 Likes

He does seem on the brink at Palace… :grinning:

Agreed, which is why I think the club will lean towards Alonso in the end, although if Leverkusen have a sudden turn of horrific form, then that could muddy the waters a bit, since he doesn’t have the depth of managerial CV just yet to support him.

2 Likes

Poch the king of the flatters to deceive and underachiever no thanks.

4 Likes

I get that and maybe his time has gone. Wouldn’t judge on Chelsea, that’s a mad house.

1 Like

Thomas Frank would have been a name a few years ago but that Brentford side concerned me how much they’ve gone off the boil by losing one striker for a period.

1 Like

I don’t think his time in Paris was that great the bare minimum was missed once.

And he did bugger all in Europe for the most part.

4 Likes

All true. Similar though to some of the other names mentioned.

Surprised Ange has been suggested. That would be a hard pass from me. Seems sound and all but I think we should be aimer higher.

xabi side playing some nice footie

1 Like