The Hunt for Klopp’s Successor

I think he is just picking apart the frankly offensive idea that people can arrive into the country on a dinghy, bypass visa checks and go about their lives as if nothing had happened.

I would have gone with being detained indefinitely in a Legionnaires disease riddled barge while used as a punchbag to whip the proles into a right wing frenzy, rather than Rwanda, but it’s for another thread.

4 Likes

You need to stop reading tabloids :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Heads gone.

Aleays better to ignore my ramblings.

If Slot can sneak in a 4251 fair play that man :joy:

Obviously any system can be deployed in a range of bias toward either attack or defence. Most fans would say we need to tighten up defensively, while not choking the obvious attacking prowess we possess.

I think we are going to do well under Slot. Can’t wait.

1 Like

His life will never be the same again the same goes for his missus but if she manages to do the same as Klopp’s wife then both will be more than ok

3 Likes
1 Like

I have been watching the teams that rely on set pieces and everyone of them is different in that the players as set up in the box differently and the kicker of the ball aims for a different head every time depending on the movement of the opposition back line. There is a lot of movement involved. The same happens in a lot of team games I played handball at a very high level and we had 10 different set plays every game and they were all triggered differently with a predetermined signal. It is more than worth exploring having a dedicated coach for that especially if it helps you win more games.

8 Likes

FM has had a slot for dedicated set-piece coaches for nearly a year now, I’m just disgusted it’s taken us this long to catch up to the zeitgeist.

2 Likes

Be careful with this the archetypes are Kinnear and Allardyce.

1 Like

Those two took it to a different level standing on the CH foot to stop them jumping for the ball, 3 players surrounding the GK and backing into him to stop him punching the ball etc they mainly rely on the ref not being able to punish a single player because 4 or 5 players simultaneously fouling a different player dark arts indeed

4 Likes

That is pretty much what dedicated set piece coaching has become. If you’re relying on a player outjumping a defender in good position to defend you’ll be lucky to score even 1 goal in a season,even with someone as dominating as Virgil. Success at corners comes from being able to find way to free up one of your players using these “dark arts” and then taking it as a given that the guy delivering the corner can drop it exactly where the routine they are running demands of him.

3 Likes

The Ben White school of tomfoolery is almost over though?
Now that his pricking about is exposed, we can expect refs and VAR to manage those dark arts with free kicks and yellow cards.

As if.

1 Like

As in rugby and cycling, the line between marginal gain and cheating is blurred. We either embrace this or decide that we won’t score as many goals from set pieces as others do

2 Likes

Yeah, it’s also a practice full of quackery that is often only in place to provide cover for the more than marginal gains that were achieved through unquestionably illegal practices.

Drugs? How dare you! We just made sure that our players always travelled with their own pillows to improve their sleep on away trips and worked with NASA to use their technology in our socks that allowed us to get an increase in lightweight traction for better changing of direction.

2 Likes

Not arguing that to be fair.

So what I think we’re all saying is that Ben White is on EPO and they have used the sunbed and fake tan to cover the evidence of the change it caused in his skin colour.

1 Like
3 Likes

That article starts with the Shankly quote, but prior to him the manager didn’t even get to pick the team. In truth, the directors did sign the cheques, but only after they had been convinced by the scouts and coaching staff that the player was worth it, and there were a fair few that they vetoed. (Frank Worthington, for example!)

It’s a sensible move with Slot coming from a mid ranking league. He is going to have enough on his plate even without having to scour the world teams for stars. Better that he has dedicated staff for that.

7 Likes

fify

2 Likes

https://x.com/Arneslotfanpage/status/1792952783777284532

5 Likes