The Hunt for Klopp’s Successor

I feel sorry for some of those coaches in today’s football where public opinion (mostly popular shouts) counts more than ever.

Not all coaches have a perfect upwards path, without certain worse periods at different clubs. They’re a big part of their own destiny, but there’s also other circumstances.

You can be almost sure that Potter would’ve been mentioned (or wished) as one of the candidates, just like Zerbi is now, if he was still doing well at Brighton.

Of course, it’s not like his Chelsea period didn’t tell us something more about Potter in the context of managing a bigger club, but talking about Chelsea these days and pulling smart conclusions out of it… pretty wild anyway.

It’s more the fact that Brighton in fact improved rather than drop off. To me that sounds like a good set up that a good manager can thrive in rather than a good manager.

Leverkusen has proved that certainly isn’t the case.

2 Likes

For me, one does not necessarily exclude the other. Sure, Brighton have their own path in these last years. I’ve praised their decision to sack Hughton, when he (barely) kept them up one season. But it felt like they would almost surely go down the following season if it was more of the same. The timing was right for a brave new change. Zerbi has took part in Brighton becoming more vertical and with more end product than Potter’s Brighton. But both have showed quality in their own ways. Potter with more control, Zerbi with more verticality and radical in his man marking defending style.

And just struck me , we were hoping for Klopp to join us when he did and we’re expecting Xabi to join us now. We’ve gone beyond hoping and moved on to expecting. That’s purely down to Klopp and his influence

3 Likes

For me it’s the same. He’s my all-time preferred player at LFC and on an emotional level, I’d be over the moon to see him taking over our LFC as a head-coach.

He really seems to be the nr. 1 choice of a large majority of LFC fans right now. I wonder if it will stay like that if he loses a few games in a row and things start to turn difficult.

The ideal scenario would obviously be him winning the league and then coming to us. It would be great. But we are barely past half of the season and many things can still happen. Looking at it from another point of view, it would be really, really interesting to see how he can extract himself of a difficult spell. In some ways, it could be more informative for us than seeing him win his way straight to the Bundesliga title.

After all, that’s what Klopp is so good at. When there is a difficult spell, you just know that he’ll find ways to steady the ship again, and bring the team back on the rails. Also, the number of in-game solutions he has found over the years to turn a game around is staggering. Ideally, the new man has that capability too.

2 Likes

I assume it will be him unless he himself decides it’s too early.

One point to note a few saying that he may try and avoid being the fall guy but three years down the line he certainly won’t inherit as good a squad not to say we may replace Salah and others it’s just you can rock up and have that team and build on the Klopp success or you can take a chance.

The only decision Alonso should be making if offered is this, if he is ready. If he is and he is offered then he should say yes.

Wirtz had been linked tenuously and I assume it’s an option we are considering for that side of the pitch.

2 Likes

Salah to score a last minute winner at Anfield against Wolves on the 19th May to hand LFC the league,

Salah, whilst removing his top, runs to Klopp and jumps into Klopps arms,

and is soon joined by the rest of the team and back room staff in 1 huge group hug

there is bedlam in the stands, arms and limbs are in the air,

people are on the pitch…

jubilation everywhere

Klopp looks around at the scenes and thinks to himself…

How can i leave this all behind?

Klopp soon announces a change of mind and stays to see his new team grow and rule Europe for years to come

4 Likes

What’s Spanish for Gegenpressing? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

contrapresión

3 Likes

Sounds like something you take to clear your bowels.

1 Like

Simone will not be a popular choice when he is stepping into Klopp’s shoes. His attitude and strategies are just polar opposite to Klopp. But he does inject certain amount of steel into the players.

2 Likes

Thing is watching them for a while now they’ve decided to play more and it’s just resulted in more entertaining games but not results.

Not for me

I feel like new players like Dom and Mac can be affected by this news, since Klopp being our manager is probably a major reason why they came here.

I am confident that Klopp will handle this well and will leave the team with a good foundation, though.

2 Likes

I don’t like the kind of football his sides play. Cynical diving cheating scummy football

3 Likes

https://x.com/Plettigoal/status/1751606693203448262?s=20

I can see Tomas has definitely got his eye on European league, so he will be out of contention for Liverpool then.

Thank fuck for that.

9 Likes

At least I like his ambition and willingness to try out new things.

9 trophies won across 4 different clubs and I’ve no doubt he will still add to it.

Tomas is always moving, never staying for long, he is like a nomad. Next season after next, it will be Serie A next, then Turkish Super Lig, the rate he’s going!

2 Likes

BTW, where is he at present?

Bayern Munich. He has had a few fights with the executive committee or whoever is the Munich office

1 Like