The Hunt for Klopp’s Successor

Could be good in a two up top structure, especially with a little gem like Griezmann alongside/slightly behind him.

But Simeone’s going nowhere for now.

Darwin + Diogo.

Simeone jumps at LFC.

(Trophies follow).

Apologies if this has been posted elsewhere. Interesting breakdown of how Leverkusen play under Alonso, how that relates to LFC and our current squad, and acknowledgement that it could well be adapted to better suit our squad rather than simply try and reproduce it.

3 Likes

I love Klopp. But the man needs a rest.
But i am excited by Alonso. To see how it works. To dream its something new. The ride will be fun with the base Klopp has set

3 Likes

I agree with all this, but just want to say one thing, not at you but for all of us.

Klopp told us he needs a rest. We were not saying that before he spoke. He also told us he has enough in the tank to give it an almighty push for this season.

At that point I am backing him to the hilt, to have the best finish possible, and for us to make some new memories under this extraordinary man.

I hope it’s Alonso who takes over, for all the reasons. But before that I hope Leverkusen win their league and we win ours, with both men giving their fans their all, completely focused on the job in hand.

5 Likes

Simeone is no longer effective as he once was.

Wouldn’t want him here.

1 Like

Hold on, they won 3 nil? That’s impressive. :+1:

2 Likes

A big no to Simeone, hate the style he plays and his players shithousery tactics

5 Likes

The time when Xabi was dead wrong, but the dream was dead right.

Mourinho to Bayern rumours - a perfect fit.

Thankfully the rumour is not Xabi to Bayern and Jose to Liverpool!!

No surprise he would be whoring himself to the big budget team. Struggled at Spurs and Roma without the biggest chequebook. Dinosaur, albeit entertaining.

1 Like

The stars aligned - Nasty, arrogant, egomaniac trainer joins nasty, arrogant, entitled club.

1 Like

That’s enough about Pep

1 Like

Oh god, it would be Souness mk 2.

I am more worried on the overhype that Xabi is the next big thing on the basis of not even one fully completed season, albeit a remarkable one so far. There is no way Xabi will not be interested in this job, it’s all about whether he thinks he is ready and the way fans elevated him, the expectation will be so high that if he comes in and does not do well in a good time, it will break his career.

I know people will protest at my parallel but I am not saying they are the same, but a young manager like Vils Boas who won a treble in his first season and then resign to go to Chelsea just the next season, we know how that turned out and where he is now. Our Gerrard failed at his PL adventure and his high level career might be at stake with the choices he made

So as much as we are hyping him so much, Xabi will know of so many examples of too much too soon. For his sake and for ours, he will do well to think and think hard whether this job will affect his longevity his top level career. Honestly if he decides to stay away because it’s too soon, I will in fact understand why.

5 Likes

He took over BL in October 2022 when they were second bottom of the Bundesliga.
By the end of the season they had qualified for the Europa League (like us).
This season they are unbeaten and are top of the league and through to the next round in Europe.
That’s more success than you give him credit for.
There’s always a risk with a young trainer, but his personality, experience and connections with us give me confidence.
I just don’t see anyone else out there who would be as good a fit.

8 Likes

I can only echo your concerns but every concern about Alonso ends with the same question: “If not him, who else?” There are a few mitigating circumstances about him, namely his age, his previous association with our club, his playing career and awe-inspiring medal haul and, what’s most important, his love for Liverpool.

Anyway, new manager would walk into a relatively stable environment (hopefully FSG nail the appointment of sporting director, it’s every bit as important as the new manager), so no political battles, no crying to media over how rivals spend more etc. That is a strong platform that will definitely be appealing to all candidates and hopefully prevent the scenario where a new manager would come in and fail spectacularly.

3 Likes

I can understand this. Do we know much about his senior coaching team, Sebastián Parrilla for example?

I still think we are looking for a complete coaching team rather than an individual. In fact, has Rolfes done much as sporting director there?

I still think we already have a done deal for the new coaching staff. Whether that is Xabi and co remains to be seen.

I think most of our players have seen him playing football. Knowing the trophies he’s won, they hey will soak up every word he says.
That’s one advantage when a former starplayer becomes a manager.
For example Franz Beckenbauer, despite he had no trainer licence he was world champion 1990 with Germany.

3 Likes

Cases like Beckenbauer are very rare in football.

5 Likes