The Hunt for Klopp’s Successor

You would think it would be odds on to happen, unless Xabi says no,and that seems pretty unlikely.
But in the meantime gives us something to talk about the probably most agree on!

Actually thats the truth.
Most of us want Xabi…some pissing contest if he rules himself out!

Guess who I meet :thinking::grinning:

1 Like

Replace Jurgen with his doppelganger? What could go wrong…

1 Like

It’s the kind of thing Hicks and Gillet would do to be fair

Curious about the physical effects that a new manager would have. Will Xabi DeZerbi, etc., training sessions, and playing style, take less of a toll on our Liverpool players, with less injuries being a knock on effect?

3 Likes

Less of Jürgen’s shin kicking sessions?

Reading Pep’s book it will be less Rondo’s.

Just finished watching Bayer Leverkusen demolish Bayern Munich 3-0.

The speed, the control, the defensive organisation, the pressing, the counter-attacking. Alonso’s the man.

12 Likes

Damn, forgot this was on.

1 Like

They were really good. Pace all over the shop.

1 Like

From the highlights I saw, Bayern was never in the game. Bayern are obviously going to be a contender for Xabi, just not sure if he would do that to Leverkusen

And some people say there’s no similarities between Alonso’s style of football and LFC.

He will do a fine job with the players he has in here. This (with a couple of signings if needed) is shaping up to be a fine fine team

1 Like

Xabi has shown what he can do at BL,if he wants to come hermit is really hard to see where we can do better.
He gets Liverpool,we saw that as a player, as Manager the sky may well be the limit.

It’s really hard to see who the alternative is if he doesn’t want to come to us.

3 Likes

Timing is everything when it’s comes to this job but timing is perfect. Will be on the owners if it doesn’t happen.

Don’t want to jinx it but since the day Carlo extended his contract at Real I’m convinced Xabi is coming home.

Definitely can not wait until May to announce it but would be in both clubs best interests to wait as long as possible.

With that being said and knowing Bayern I fully expect one of their former presidents (Hoeneß/Rummenigge) to ‘leak’ Xabi to LFC just to unsettle Leverkusen.

2 Likes

Not necessarily. I think he’s such a clear choice that the owners will do everything they can to get him. It’s really going to be whether (and when) Xabi wants to move. If he’s not already in discussions, suspect he’ll want to wait until Leverkusen have won (or been pipped to) the title and if it’s the latter he may even want to stay and go again. In our favour is the Liverpool job - although expectations and pressure will be much higher than Leverkusen - is one he could stay and grow in for a while whereas both Real and Bayern are much more cutthroat and likely to be shortterm. He claims a special affinity with the club which should also make us the irresistible summer choice and he may never get another chance to manage Liverpool whereas he’d expect Real and Bayern will always be open to him at some point (assuming his career stays on track).

1 Like

I’m now very worried about Bayern typically picking the best in the League including manager. It may not be one way traffic.

It’s not like the club are inundated with options, are they? There are a few boxes that the new guy will have to tick:

1. Understanding the club, the fans and the league.
  2. Playing attacking, tactically adaptable, sustainable football.
  3. Making the most out of existing players at the club.
  4. Making the most out of club’s academy.
  5. Making the team bigger than the sum of its parts.
  6. Working within club’s financial constraints.

Everything else (command of multiple languages, good looks, captivating press conferences etc.) is a bonus. For me, at this moment, it looks like the main candidate will either be Alonso or someone completely from the left field (so, no De Zerbi, Inzaghi, Nagelsmann etc.).

Personally, I’m somewhere in between the bargaining and the depression phase at the moment due to Klopp’s impending departure, so I’m trying to convince myself that the club needs a change in order to move forward and provide a greater challenge to Guardiola’s mercenary legion.

I feel that Klopp never managed to complete the transition from the overwhelming, counter-pressing monster of 2017-2020 to grinding, possession-based juggernaut that would play with just a bit less intensity and hopefully less injuries, making it more sustainable in the long term. Maybe the new guy will complete that transition since our current playing personnel seems appropriate for that kind of football, especially the defenders and midfielders.

Darwin would be a monster under Simeone’s guidance.