The Hunt for Klopp’s Successor

Frank I may have considered but the way they’ve played without Toney concerns me.

Another Rodgers in which over reliance on certain players.

2 Likes

On different managers and different jobs available (us included of course):

It’s probably already been discussed somewhere so forgive me , but has anyone else entertained the idea that Klopp’s succession by Alonso might already be a done deal ?

1 Like

We all hope that, but, realistically, doing all the necessary negotiation in total secrecy would be a great challenge.

2 Likes

I have suspected that Klopp’s, and the rest of the staff succession, is already a done deal. I don’t know if it is Alonso.

I think Klopp probably had the board on notice from last summer that he felt unable to carry on but didn’t commit until November. The only reason I can think of announcing all the resignations now is because the new team has been confirmed.

They will need time to put any plans into place but need that information in the public domain now.

I may be completely wrong, of course, but I think there is a lot more settled than we have been told.

2 Likes

Reminder for context that Brentford have the 4th lowest wage bill and the 3rd smallest stadium in the Premier League. Establishing them pretty comfortably in the league is a good accomplishment.

Frank has clearly made them better than the sum of their parts. Of course it’s a fair question whether that’s enough to merit a job like Liverpool.

7 Likes

No doubting the job he’s done there, similarly to what Dyche did with Burnley and Moyes with West Ham. Sure he’s working within his constraints although I don’t see how stadium capacity has any correlation to the style of football you impose. He clearly has knowledge in abundance of the game, I just think his football’s dog turd.

Brentford have done really well on all fronts since getting promoted, there’s no doubt about that.

I still don’t feel like they’re in a Brighton under Hughton (near his end) type of moment where they have to evolve in a quality way in order to survive longer in the PL. That might come, especially if you have a few very meh transfer windows. This league has no mercy for clubs that fall asleep for a bit. It drags you down very quickly.

Frank’s spoken a few times openly about their tactics and it’s just natural that they have to be pragmatic. But it’s not all defensive. Neither was Dyche’s Burnley, and Frank’s Brentford are more positive than them for sure. It’s crystal clear in all phases of the game. There’s no confusion. They combine some very defensive aspects with some very offensive ones.

If they’ve suffered without Toney, well, that’s no surprise, it’s a big blow for such a side. They had a better start to the season than lately, but how they’ve looked without they key player is not something that would be my main worry with Frank. I didn’t notice them losing their principles.

It’s just hard in this league for such clubs to be always in a safe spot. Do we realize how many of these sides would like to be mid-table? Well, there’s not enough bloody room to please all of them. Sometimes, you still do more or less the right things, but there are simply others doing better.

Big question is how he would translate to a side that wants to compete and win. Because there are elements of man marking (like there is with Zerbi), plus also fielding more attacking team selections in more “open” structures.

And we only have his work at Brentford as sample, at least us mortals. People in the game will obviously know much more.

One thing that strikes me immediately about Frank, that man has absolute enthusiasm for the game. Strikes me as someone really meticulous, on top of things, I imagine he must be demanding also.

I doubt he’ll be at the top of the list. Considered, maybe. But I don’t think the club will go down that route. FSG from the times after Kenny might have easily. But now, we have to be more ambitious than that.

3 Likes

Thomas Frank is not my personal favourite, usually I go for chicken or beef

Chris Pratt What GIF

Oh :-/

Certainly hope so,the point raised in another group that players like VVD wouldn’t be keen on a manager on training wheels, has possibly some validity’s who knows, it may be a done deal among the players, just hope it is Xabi!

2 Likes

In case the new manager decides to play 4 at the back with Bradley as RB and Trent moving to CDM ,

We might well see Trent and Mac as a double pivot of sorts.

Robbo VVD Konate Bradley
Mac. Trent
Diaz Soboszlai Salah
Nunez

Might just be a preferred first choice XI. Will still have incredible bench strength in midfield and attack.

Any player who’s making a case to be a regular starting XI will have to be a heck of a player to be better than these guys.

1 Like

"Pretty sure if Klopp would have to suggest a successor Thomas Frank would be in his Top3.

There’s something I don’t like about him. Not sure what it is."

The way he chews!
And a no.

1 Like

If only they did a Ham flavour…

An unknown and definitely unreliable source seen on the BBC’s Gossip page:
Liverpool have made contact with Bayer Leverkusen manager Xabi Alonso following Jurgen Klopp’s decision to leave the club at the end of the season. (Footmercato - in French)

1 Like

That’s good enough for me.

1 Like

Like it’s usually that kind of source that proves to be correct.

It would be extraordinary if it wasn’t true.

1 Like