The Hunt for Klopp’s Successor

Surely if Leverkusen win the BL Tuchel will have to go.
We all know Bayern love to poach from their rivals and they’d love to get Xabi in that case.
It’s my only concern.

I think that was a legit concern before we knew the Klopp news. I cannot imagine them being able to offer him as attractive an opportunity as we could now we have a vacancy to fill.

1 Like

I simply can’t imagine that Klopp has made his announcement without his replacement already being lined up.

7 Likes

That certainly is possible, but I don’t think so. If a replacement was already lined up, why make an announcement now? I think they had to announce it because they couldn’t keep it quiet while an extensive search is taking place. But what the hell do I know?

7 Likes

I’m not so sure. The moment they start putting out feelers to their prospective hires, the chances of Klopp’s departure leaking to the press grows exponentially. Effectively, they cannot control the story at that point. So, Klopp making the announcement now allows them to start formally reaching out to candidates without worry of this leaking.

I’m sure they did their due diligence on who they wanted to pursue before his announcement, though.

9 Likes

Can’t see Alonso going to Barca before us.

I don’t think the draw to Bayern is that high eithier.

I think it would be ultimately us and Real.

The decision by Klopp has come out of the blue. I genuinely believed he would push on next year, challenging for the title. However the team has come on in leaps and bounds and probably exceeded where K thought we would be. I know I was hoping we would consolidated a top 4 position while doing well in Europe. As it stands we have gone gang busters which I think has change K’s mind. It has also put us in a position where we might not be able to fill our management team by the start of next season. However the team he is leaving is top notch.

I think part of it is he’s had enough of the EPL and England more generally. Can’t blame him.

I don’t think we have to go searching for reasons why Jürgen’s made the decision. He’s always been a straightforward and honest person and we owe it to him to take him at his word. Managing a club like Liverpool is a hugely stressful and time consuming job. especially the way that he does it. This isn’t like being a bank manager or a plasterer, he’s in charge of a large multinational club and his every word and decision is examined forensically.
It’s understandable that he would be tired after 8 years of that.
He deserves a good long holiday when the season ends. Until then, we’re in for a hell of a ride.

10 Likes

I really can’t see Xabi going to Barca cause he was a Madrid player. Won’t happen.

6 Likes

More likely because it’s a carnival of insanity.

2 Likes

Agreed.
The decision was made in November, there will be all kinds of behind the scenes negotiations already taking place.

Or…

The club will be taking a scattergun approach throwing all kinds of wild guesses as to who will do what and who wants to go where.
Like in this thread

cynicalfraudgit

1 Like

At least I’m not bald.

That would have made me cynicalbaldfraudgit, aka cynicalguardiolagit.

3 Likes

This is what happens when you upset him.
I told you it would get ugly.

1 Like

Isn’t it simpler to say he’s tired of football and working generally and just wants a proper break?

EDIT: Let’s not forget, the last time he wanted to take a break he only ended up doing 3 months before being called upon in a dire hour of need, and then proceeded to work for another 9 years. He needs a long break.

3 Likes

Did there used to be a cynicalwhippersnappergit… ?? :0)

Maybe that was the real reason Louis Van Gaal was at the Liverpool match this week :rofl:

Pretty sure if Klopp would have to suggest a successor Thomas Frank would be in his Top3.

There’s something I don’t like about him. Not sure what it is.

His awful football?

1 Like