The Hunt for Klopp’s Successor

Not convinced on Zidane.

Has to be Xabi for me. Wouldn’t mind our mate Ange but he would cost an arm and a leg.

2 Likes

Having seen him manage ‘the socceroos’ and what he’s done since, that’s a hard no.

2 Likes

Ange is a good shout but they are conceding a lot of goals, which has me worried

I don’t want Zidane here, nothing to do with his managerial skills more that I think he is a bit of a prick.

He can “get on with it” at Spurs as far as I’m concerned. And the more Spurs concede the more I enjoy it

3 Likes

100% this.

One of the reasons that Klopp has resonated so deeply with people is that he is his own authentic self. He owns his flaws, and is secure in his strengths, then surrounds himself with strong people and lets them flourish.

The last thing we need is a Klopp replacement, someone trying to imitate Klopp’s personality and playing style. We need someone humble enough to get good people around them, but confident/secure enough to do things their way.

I hope Xabi is the man. It will be a challenge for fans also to give the transition time, when we’re so accustomed to high octane nights like last night.

7 Likes

I don’t really like the De Zerbi shout (and not bevause they got twatted by Luton). I just look at his squad and I think the way he deploys the team is just a bit mad, almost like an intentional attempt to prove how smart he is.

Things like playing a 45 year old Pascal Gross as a RWB, constantly rotating the goalkeepers, playing a really high line with CBs slow as shit.

Honestly I think Joao Pedro has been bailing him out a bit and I do not think they are better than they were under Potter - even if they did qualify for Europe last season.

3 Likes

Same, I noted he was linked to Man City once Pep went and I’d would be happy if he moved there.

1 Like

I’m a big RDZ fan, I really admire the job he’s done at Brighton and the brand of football he has them playing. Taken them to another level after Potter which in itself was a tough ask for any new guy coming into the Prem for the first time.

He has been disrupted with big players leaving and has had to deal with injury problems of their own. (Veltman, Estupinan (just returned), March, Lamptey, Enciso and Fati + losing players like Mitoma and Adingra to Internationals) which we can all relate is a far from ideal situation to face yet Brighton are still amongst the top 7-8 sides in the league (although a few of the sides below them are starting to catch up).

Also like how he’s not shy in giving the youth a chance to succeed if he feels they’re ready…Gilmour, Adingra, Ferguson, Buononotte, Hinshelwood & now Baleba.

With all that said, would he be in my top 3 pick? No. As I want the proven winners here…your Rafa’s, your Klopp’s, your Simeone’s, your Allegri’s, your’ Emery’s etc.

We have a no dickheads rule for players so need one for managers too, which will rule out about 90% of them, there are very few humble, ground up managers out there. Xabi with time, or how about Unai Emery I’ve seen him mentioned in passing. I used to hate playing him when he was at Sevilla. He genuinely looked upset to lose against us at Anfield. He took what Gerrard mismanaged and made them 5th in the league and 3 points off Man City which is miraculous. Maybe they’re fading a bit but he’s done wonders for Gastly Villa - what’s the thinking on Unai? Did I miss him falling into the dickhead category and getting written off? Other skeletons I’m not aware of? I don’t know if he’s a great man-manager but appears to get his sides to gel in quick order. Maybe failing after taking over from Wenger is enough to put us off, how would he fare post Klopp? Did Wenger leave a shoe in side, or a full rebuild project at the Arse?

3 Likes

Good Ebening, we don’t hire memes.

Totally agree. Lots of have clubs have tried it and they always turn out to be nothing more than an ersatz version. Klopp is so much more than the two of three things he’s most identified with - heavy metal football, showing emotion. When you pick someone to try to replicate that you get Tuchel. Or Hassenhutel. It seems Dortmund specifically have found themselves in a constant pattern of trying to find Klopp 2.0 and always getting found out by the limitation of that idea.

4 Likes

Brendan Rodgers instantly comes to mind. The way he was presenting himself, the cringeworthy quotes. He was trying so hard to present himself as a bigger and better than he really was, and failing miserably.

Whomever is appointed must at the very least be his own man, comfortable with himself and confident in his abilities.

2 Likes

The more videos I watch, the more things I read, and the more forums I come across, the more I’m in the camp that it really can’t be anyone else except Xabi Alonso.

Look, there may be managers who have years of data behind them, and will perform well in the metrics i.e. Frank, De Zerbi, but metrics alone don’t make you the best fit for the Liverpool manager’s job. It has to be balanced with the personality, the ability to absorb yourself into the culture of the club and the city. All of our successful managers have done that.

I can’t see past Alonso who has the cool, calm personality to do what he believes in, and also has that connection with the city and the club already. He’s also arguably the hottest young managerial prospect on the planet. If it doesn’t work out, it’d be nobody’s fault, not Alonso, or the owners. I don’t think we’d be losing sleep over ‘what if we had De Zerbi or Amorim.’ If we did get one of those two managers, and we saw Alonso become Real Madrid or Bayern Munich manager, I think we’d be wondering, ‘what if we went for him instead?’ He also has the highest ceiling for intrigue and excitement. He just looks the part, he plays a great brand of football, has age on his side, and connections with the city.

It’s all down to whether Alonso wants to make the move now, and whether the club wish to appoint him, but for me, it’s almost like a free hit.

3 Likes

No thanks.
I’m sure our players would struggle to communicate with someone who only talks to the floor

1 Like

Sport Wow GIF by Celtic Football Club

1 Like

If it’s not him then it will be someone that is currently not on the betting list. Jurgen has a better chance on staying on for another year if it’s not Xabi (or someone not on the list).

The only problem with Xabi would be that Bayern and Barcelona may be looking for new trainers this summer. Barcelona are such a shitshow that he’d be mad to go there, but Bayern might be more tempting. It’s a relatively easy gig, usually you turn up in the BL and win it. Quarter/Semi finals in the CL seen as a minimum. He obviously knows the BL very well and would be pretty much assured of success.
He might be tempted by the soft option. No idea what we’d do then, because I don’t see any realistic alternatives.

Not looking like Tuchel will leave during the season. If they need a new manager in the summer I expect them to bring back Hansi Flick. Nagelsmanns contract with the national team will also end after the EURO. Did not get along with Oliver Kahn and Hasan Salihamidžić but both are not at Bayern anymore.

Expecting us to confirm Xabi before or during the international break in mid march.

Would be the least distraction in the title race and things would calm down a bit after the break.

1 Like