The Hunt for Klopp’s Successor

I think that at this point in time, these rumours are a part of Bayern’s usual tactics to try to disrupt their menacing counterpart. This will put more pressure on Leverkusen, Xabi and his squad, and they probably hope that it will result in them losing their current impeccable focus.

4 Likes

No doubt, but at the same time they’d be foolish to overlook him. Tuchel is as good as gone.

1 Like

I just can’t see Xabi to be the type of guy to go straight from Bayer to Munich

2 Likes

But did you see Rafa going to a club like Chelsea? or Everton?

Don’t think he would have gone to either of those clubs if he had a choice between them and us.

3 Likes

But without knowing him personally, you can only judge from what you see in the media, but we have no idea if Munich has a massive pull for him. We can only speculate

3 Likes

Yes, given his family’s circumstances and the significant gap in time since he managed us. Had the club’s owners shown any interest in bringing him back, I don’t think he would have gone to either Chelsea or Everton. Few if any clubs in the PL showed any interest in him, so his pickings were limited.

3 Likes

Your using that to justify his going there, the point I was making was if someone has asked you 6 months prior if Rafa would go there, you would have likely said ‘No fucking chance’ like most of us would have.

No, I’m not.

1 Like

Can’t you?

I’m sure Xabi is a smart guy but ultimately he’ll do what’s best for himself. If he’s not on our shortlist and his options in the summer are either to stay at Leverkusen or go to Bayern then it’s an opportunity that doesn’t allow you much thinking time, he’ll instinctively take the Bayern job and then I’m certain he’ll fancy his chances after he’s had a few says to digest and soak it all in.

1 Like

I think going to Bayern might be the smarter move for a coach only a couple of years into his career .The likelyhood is that with a decent manager they would go back to dominating German football ,allowing him time to develop his type of football while also competing against some big clubs in the champions league.3yrs at that and he goes from being an up and coming coach,like so many others before,to a successful coach who has bought himself plenty of leeway when moving into his next job.

It didn’t work for Nagelsmann… :see_no_evil:

4 Likes

If it would be between us and Bayern this summer, trying to be objective, I’d say we have the better chance to get him. But no doubt he’ll have a good think about what to do and it’s not like Bayern would stand no chance.

2 Likes

Reasons why Liverpool would be a better choice:

1. Less pressure. Nobody expects the new manager to immediately replicate what Klopp has done. At Bayern, he’d be expected to win everything. Plus. here he can come second to the oil cheats and nobody (bar some in the media) would complain.

2. He’ll inherit a squad that requires less work here. Lots of players in their early to mid twenties, about to hit their prime, and established stars still with a few years left. Fewer obvious holes to fill than Bayern, too.

3. At Bayern, he’s respected. At Liverpool, he’s adored. Our fans hold him in far higher esteem than do their Bavarian brethren.

11 Likes

That’s a whole different set of circumstances. We’re all discussing this under the assumption he is an option for us, it’s the who will be our next manager thread.

Of course if his only options are Bayern or stay where he is it changes things. I somehow doubt they won’t be his only options come the summer though.

But if we’re talking about ourselves and Bayern competing for his signature I think he chooses us, and I think his time spent at Bayer immediately prior to his move reinforces it rather than hinders. Bayern will still be there in the future.

He didn’t go to either immediately after leaving us though? Which was the point of my post.

I can’t say where Xabi would go 2 and 11 years after leaving Bayer, it’s just my opinion he wouldn’t make the move from Bayer to Bayern.

Again, based on the assumption he has other options, not that Bayern is his only one.

2 Likes

I didn’t expect Bellingham to choose a shiny maggoty turd, above us, and I don’t expect Xabi to choose a shiny festering turd, above us.

1 Like

All the lads that know Alonso personally…all know what he might be thinking.

We should see if Showmethemoney is still alive and kicking.
His input would be extremely valuable

1 Like

And if the same happened to Alonso we’d be glad it was in Munich rather than Liverpool .

1 Like