The Hunt for Klopp’s Successor

Not really. If he was a target he would already be here, particularly if he has finished his contract. Schmadtke was brought in as a temporary option. There is no value in keeping his recruitment secret.

Perhaps. I guess the counter-point would be maybe he wanted/wants a break, rather than jumping from Monaco straight to Liverpool. Also, Schmadtke was meant to stick around for 3 months, but stayed an additional 6 months following an extension. He was seen primarily as supporting Klopp, and he was happy with him. It wouldn’t have made sense to upset Klopp with a new SD, since he was happy with Schmadtke anyway. The board found out Klopp wanted to leave in November. Naturally, Schmadtke’s time would therefore come to an end too. Consequently, although we would’ve had our eye on Sporting Directors anyway, or people who could fill that role, we’d have had to ramp things up a few notches.

No chance is David Moyse getting the managers job when Klopp leaves!

1 Like

I saw Craig Bellamy on the sideline today. Hide all golf clubs and let him have a try if Alonso won’t come…

Get Arne Riise in as his assistant

I think I read recently about how Bellamy lost all his money through getting ripped off in bad investments.

If so, lovely to see him working and good luck to him.

2 Likes

He could be on gardening leave?

Wouldnt apply if his contract has expired.

We typically think about players and how they grow and adapt and become world class, and I think the same holds true for Klopp while he has been at Liverpool. When I think back I thought of him as a motivator, a man manger who outcompete others by having the fittest squad. Bit like Kenny he also knew his limitations and relied on others of his team to support him. To illustrate this, just cast your mind back to Buvač left. There was a real fear that we had lost the “brain”.

However the opposite happened. We got better. I think this was Klopp growing. We changed our approach we changed our football. Whilst backroom staff take some credit there was no doubt this was Klopp. We are losing the best manager in the world, but he has not always been that. (his shoes where not has big)

Same is true to Xabi, I think he will come he as the top of the next generation of managers, and become world class.

14 Likes

Okay, I’m sold. Bring him in as Kloppo’s successor! :+1:

Hopefully yesterday will end any discussion of that annoying prick from Brentford being a possible Klopp replacement

Depends what he does in a couple of days time.

Nah I don’t think he is even being considered.

He’s gone out to 25/1, Gerrard is 20/1 so that tells you.

2 Likes

that Gerrard is firming? :scream: :rofl:

Another couple of wins and he’ll overtake Xabi as favourite .

I cannot keep the secret anymore

I see we are now being linked with the current Leverkusen sporting director as opposed to the former one. That either makes perfect sense or is simply lazy so-called journalism.

Liverpool are hoping to lure Bayer Leverkusen manager Xabi Alonso and the club’s sporting director Simon Rolfes to replace the outgoing Jurgen Klopp and Jorg Schmadtke this summer. (Football Insider)

3 Likes

It does make sense although I suspect it is also journos putting 2 and 2 together and getting the first number that pops in their heads.

I don’t know if the club have actually targeted Alonso as everyone seems to think and want, but if they have, they better make their move before Bayern does.