The Hunt for Klopp’s Successor

Does this mean that we panic at the last minute and get Steven Caulker as manager?

He is managing… :eyes:

2 Likes

Steven Caulker mentioned in a Liverpool next manager thread.

Not even Stephen King could’ve come up with such a horror a few weeks ago.

2 Likes

fireworks GIF

1 Like

Bayern get rid of a manager every couple of years when they fail to win every game and trophy possible. That job is coming around again.

2 Likes

Like genital herpes.

3 Likes

Or Andy Carroll….but hopefully we don’t have to plead to options b and c should Xabi ditch us for the other mob.

When we replaced Kenny for BR I’m not sure where he was in the queue and who LFC spoke to. From memory O’Neill or Martinez or Clarke?

Whatever…I can only guess there was no b option when we got Klopp. It was him and only him.

I guess we patiently wait until season end while Leverkusen handle to distraction and hopefully win it.

1 Like

Yes, I did mention the fact that he pisses everybody off. Nonetheless, he does have a strong track record and is a two-time Champions League finalist, having won it once and that being against Man City of course.

I’m not putting his name forward, but I can see how he might seem to be an attractive option to club owners who want their club to win things. I doubt if FSG would want him, but you never know. I can see him ending up at the Emptyhad one day, if he’s shown that he can be a bit more submissive in his dealings with club owners.

One name that, quite rightly, has not been mentioned as a potential Klopp successor is Gary O’Neil. Now, before @Retro_Helix searches his gif library again, I’m not suggesting O’Neil as our next manager but I do think he doesn’t get the praise that he deserves. Maybe if he had a ‘z’ in his name then he would be more highly regarded. If he continues to improve then he could one day be Alonso’s successor at Anfield.

If Alonso doesn’t come to Anfield then I would go for Emery, however if the latest rumours are to be believed then in that event Amorim would be the club’s likely choice.

Gaz O’Neilio?

I don’t think we looked like such an attractive option at that time.

1 Like

Has this been posted yet? Someone has run some stats on who should be out next manager:

2 Likes

Was just about to post it!

1 Like

For those who can’t be bothered to read through the whole article!

3 Likes

It does seem to be very orientated around the on pitch statistics. They manage in different leagues and it is hard to determine whether they can pick the best players in those leagues or just the best that they can afford, so there is little to base their training and development skills with. It also doesn’t take into account personal factors such as their rapport with the fans. It’s an interesting analysis, nonetheless.

1 Like

It left out the column for “what experts on TAN says”

2 Likes

And that is the only column that matters

I was about to write something similar. Thanks for the spared time. This table is irrelevant.

I don’t think that this Portuguese guy is what we need. His only experience is the Portuguese league, and that’s hardly a reference. And before someone says that Mourinho came from the Portuguese league as well before moving to Chelsea, he won also the EL and the CL with Porto. If Amorim can replicate the same exploits with Sporting, then fair enough, but until then, nope.

2 Likes

When we got Klopp, he was the main option but the club had also sounded out Ancelotti who was recovering from a back operation at the time and so in between jobs. I’m sure there would have been others but they were probably not needed - Honigstein has suggested (based on cryptic comments from Klopp’s agent at the time) that we had been in contact with Klopp over the role when he announced he was stepping down from Dortmund which was long before BR was let go (and this would help explain why BR was kept on after that season).

The situation with recruiting BR was very different. FSG had to look at rebuilding the internal footballing structure while also finding a manager to take the project forward. With limited funds, a significant rebuild to the squad needed and no CL football it wasn’t an attractive proposition.

We approached one of the De Boer brothers but chose not to give him the job, Martinez (dispute over whether this was for the managers job which he claims, or for the Football directors role which FSG claim), Van Gaal again for the DoF (but he refused as he did want the managerial job). I think we also approached the current Villa manager and Pellegrino before he went to City. Clarke was approached but turned it down in deference to Kenny.

BR was viewed as a promising young manager at the time who could grow with the club as it rebuilt. Unfortunately, that didn’t work out.

2 Likes

The Carteret analysis was pretty interesting to read. I would expect the club to know all that, and more besides, in order to build its shortlist. (I still think the work was done, or all but done, a while ago, and the new manager is lined up already, or near as dammit).

One thing the analysis didn’t really tackle is the intangible chemistry component. That is probably more important at Liverpool than most clubs, and it is what Alonso brings, in spades. The sample size is small with Alonso, so others should rightly be looked at.

It also doesn’t necessarily follow that the way Alonso sets up Leverkusen will be what he does at Liverpool. I think the article said he has played about 6 different ways this season, so perhaps the preferred set up is to suit the players he has at his disposal?

Either way, if he came to Liverpool we have a large core of talented players who can be tweaked to play any formation at a very high level, and we also have the resources if the new manager wants to make a couple of key additions.

Amorim looks to me like he will be the main alternate to Xabi.

Nagelsman is definitely an intelligent coach, but there is a question mark over chemistry. If his experience at Bayern Munich knocked some of the edge off him, in a good and humbling way, then he will be all the better for it.

Tuchel? Nope. He’s going the way of Mourinho. Talented, but ends up falling out with people and his cycle at clubs gets shorter and shorter.

De Zerbi? I think he will go back to a big job in Italy.

Postecoglu? Good manager, but the timing is not there as he has only just started at Spurs, and he would be no higher than three or four in the list for us.

I can’t see past Xabi Alonso, but Amorim might be the alternate.

8 Likes

End of the day based on that it tells me Klopp is the perfect manager for our squad as it’s moulded under Klopp.

But that’s not an option so we move, change and adapt. We won’t replace him and some on that list can be dismissed.

2 Likes