The Hunt for Klopp’s Successor

No.
He isn’t that good. Bayern are shite this season…buying Eric Dyer is the nadir of their existance.
Alonso is punchlng above his weight.
He will never be a Klopp/Guardiola/Hiddink level manager.

In case Bayern are reading!

3 Likes

Almost had me there was going to jump in with both feet lol

2 Likes

Bayern base all their major decisions on information gathered on TAN. That’s why they chose Tuchel when I said he’d fit right in.

2 Likes

The Greatest Showman Lol GIF by Sky

1 Like

They are better than them over the period he has been there.

And no one else is matching them, Stuttgart haven’t done badly but still 4 points behind and they’ve just lost there manager.

Xabi tried to avoid questions about his future in his prematch PC today so he started with ‘you surely have questions but I have nothing new to say about it’

Journalists still went on to ask him awful lot questions about it.

2 Likes

Great preparation for becoming Liverpool manager I suppose.

Our search for a new manager started in November while Bayern decided to part ways with Tuchel this week.

There will always be a chance to join Bayern later in Xabis managerial career (see Tuchel who got the sack at Paris and Chelsea) but the Liverpool job doesn’t get available every 2-3 years usually.

I’m sure the Bayern job will be an option for Xabi at some point but being Liverpool manager is the highest on his list.

I’d be ok if he decides to stay at Leverkusen but Xabi should have a look at Dortmund and Leipzig. Might find himself in a Top4 race rather than a title race next season.

2 Likes

I think it’s unlikely it only began in November. That may have been when Klopp gave formal notice to the board of his decision but it is quite likely this had been discussed previously and so identification of potential candidates was being drawn up much sooner.

That would tie in to some of the internal movement we’ve seen over the last couple of years and contract decisions.

I also wouldn’t rush to say the Liverpool job would be top of Xabi’s list. Yes, he played here and appeared to have enjoyed much of that time, but he will be aware of expectations and reactions from the fans and media which he may not view as being a positive. He may not view the experience of living in the UK as one he would enjoy anymore.

2 Likes

There have been more comments of him (about returning to Liverpool) but can not find them atm.

5 Likes

German journalists claim Liverpool in talks with Xabi Alonso - "already advanced" - Liverpool FC - This Is Anfield?

Which greater experience? The one of pissing off players, fans and club directors after a couple of years?

For what it’s worth, I don’t think that this guy will appeal to fsg in the least, because he isn’t a long-term project. They surely won’t want to look after a new manager again in two years or so.

2 Likes

German jounro’s doing everything possible to derail Leverkusens season, I assume they are all Bayern leaning.

Fucking leave him be FFS.

5 Likes

I agree, leave him be.

Looking at it another way, it gives Alonso an extra test, and I expect him to come through it with flying colors. Disruptive German journalists in Bayern’s orbit?

No problem. I will just keep doing my thing. We’ve got history to write.

2 Likes

I wonder if the impending City case will have any impact on any decision Alonso possibly makes. If City get off pretty much unscathed is he going to want to come to a doped league. A league where most teams compete with one arm tied behind the back or do you go to Bayern and be that big fish in a small pond with pretty much nailed on for success.

1 Like

I think it will have 0 impact. Who knows what’s happening behind the scenes and when will something happen, if anything. Can’t be the prisoner of that, most managers want to come to England.

3 Likes
1 Like

Did they just read that off the betting odds.

2 Likes

This is becoming like the end of the transfer window silly season. Liverpool linked with (insert any name) to get a headline.

https://twitter.com/LFCTransferRoom/status/1760778067230810397?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^tweet

1 Like