The Hunt for Klopp’s Successor

He has given 9 years of his life to the club, working in many intense circumstances. I remember Mark Lawrenson saying everyone from the media, football, entertainment, retail, car brands etc want a piece of Jürgen. He doesn’t even have time for himself. I have noticed that Jürgen is much more relaxed now and feels the weight of his decision he kept secret for so long has been lifted.

It is going to be hard letting go. We are thankful and lucky, we got him for an extra 2 years

5 Likes

Kind of like Graham Potter to Chelsea.

Probably not the worst option,but can’t see it happening just now.

I think we’d have to get really far down our list before considering him. Done a good job at Brentford but needs to prove himself at a higher level first.

1 Like

Klopp does not play cricket

I bet he could coach it though. The man could motivate a plank of wood.

3 Likes

I know Klopp’s something of a miracle worker but working wonders with “the liverpool of the cricketing world” is like expecting any manager at Everton to do well.

1 Like

Sorry @Iftikhar but it’s not frequent that I get to talk about a football team that has a lower ranking in FIFA than Singapore at 156.

1 Like

Maybe Don Carlo Ancelotti could be persuaded to reside in Blundellsands for a year or two? I believe he rather liked living there.

Then we rehire Klopp after he’s got fed up with being a TV pundit.

1 Like

I think he would’ve been perfect for 2-3 years post Klopp, but the timing is all off. He’ll leave Real Madrid in 2025, and Alonso will take over.

If he was available now, I do think he would’ve been first choice to step in to the role, while the managerial market adjusts to allow the next generation to well and truly blossom.

You drew with mighty China :cn: recently.

You shouldn’t compare the Bundesliga and the Portuguese league. That’s two different kettles of fish. And Klopp had also proven his credentials in Europe, with his Dortmund side tearing apart some of the best clubs in Europe, season after season.

8 Likes

It’s not just Klopp’s soccer coaching skills it’s his leadership style, brings calm and good sense to situations, humor, charisma, has a very centered moral compass and pretty much says the right thing every time. “Both to lose”, “boom”, puts the reporter in a headlock. Just randomly funny. I even liked it in his early days dropping the occasional f bomb live. That’s what I’m going to miss. Turn that around and the players get that everyday, just don’t see any other coach with his style or ability to motivate. The attraction to play for him too is a factor, just watching just about everyone going up to him to wish him well at the end of a game. I’m going to miss him as much as Gerrard leaving.

4 Likes

Gilliam Ballbag is saying Alonso wants to wait until 2026. If our next trainer fucks up he’ll step in and save us.

We won’t be an attractive prospect cf Real, Bayern etc

I’m going to miss Klopp more. I had made my peace with Gerrard’s departure during Brendan’s last season. His decline was pretty rapid by then. Klopp’s leaving when he’s still at the top of the game (even if he doesn’t think so)

5 Likes

Unless FSG go down the Borussia Dortmund route , we would be fine. Liverpool don’t need to sell to buy (to the same extent that Dortmund need to)

Monkey No GIF by PG Tips

1 Like

I get were you´re coming from, i know that there´s a difference but on the other side, my feeling is that we shouldn´t be so arrogant, you can only beat what´s in front of you, in the end it´s all about the squad and the tactics, man management etc.
I am just trying to be open mindet without prejudices.

I haven’t forgotten that at the beginning it was said Klopp can’t win finals, the media named him a serial loser etc. and look what can happen over time.

4 Likes

Don’t take me wrong, I’ll support anyone who will be named by the club. I’ve always done so, even with Uncle Woy and Rodgers when they came in. We can only see if Edwards and the owners manage to get this one right, and hope for the best.

At this point, we just discuss things. As far as I’m concerned, I don’t see Amorim as a valid option for us, for the reasons I outlined a few days ago already ( if you don’t want to scroll that far back, look at @ZinedineBiscan 's recent posts, in which he shamelessly plagiarizes me… :wink: ).

Nagelsmann might be an option, for reasons outlined above by others, but I don’t even know if he’s on the market for us, so that’s that. But he fits one of my criteria, which is to have won one of Europe’s major leagues, albeit ‘only’ with Bayern, and has already made a string of good and not so good experiences at other clubs.

Otherwise, I still like Emery, who seems to be able to get sustained success at diverse clubs, and to make the most of what he has at disposal. The European record must also be taken in appropriate consideration when looking at a future LFC manager imo, and in that regard, he’d fit the bill. I see him as a superior manager to De Zerbi for instance.

I don’t see beyond these two, but that’s of course not the case of Edwards, who will have loads of data on every manager in Europe. Let’s hope he makes the best out of it.

1 Like