The Hunt for Klopp’s Successor

Klopp always played 4321 at Dortmund. I remember how some players were hyped or rejected about being signing based on how they would fit 4231.

While Klopp did try 4231 and some other formations before settling down with 433.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/TheRedmenTV/status/1776542865784483901

1 Like

Lol… that’s basically just rotating the midfield, changing from a double-pivot to single-pivot, it’s not employing a completely different defensive system.

Also, he’d played with a 433 several years before joining Liverpool:

I don’t think it’s a fair comparison.

2 Likes

is there some kind of warning system still in place…

3ATB

terrible

What a banger. Thought you’d be too old for that scene :rofl:

You’ve got some solid (eclectic) taste.
No Problem Thumbs Up GIF

I regularly get shit for my trance and opera love.

2 Likes

Or they are like Rodgers throwing shit to the wall and seeing what sticks. Point is we don’t know for sure; especially for a 39 year old up-and-coming manager.

I think we have played with three at the back too. There was a period when Gomez stayed back while the other LB/LWB surged forward. Previously, Fabinho used to drop between the CB allowing the WBs go forward.

I don’t think it should be a concern that a certain coach prefers 3CB, neither should we assume that an upwardly mobile coach would lack the tactical flexibility to move away from a certain format.

Fair enough on Conte but that was 8 years ago and like I said teams in the PL top third don’t use it.

Many managers used it in the PL but most of the time it did not work or did not work for a long time. I‘m no expert but surely there are reasons for that.

Bloody hell this lad hasn’t aged one bit :joy:

1 Like

Saw a report saying Xavi!

It impacts how the entire front 5 coordinate to press. Like any change in shape, it can be fairly trivial in impact if it’s just about the changing the starting position of one player, but it’s very rare that a well coached side with a defined way of playing can change what 1 player is being asked to do and have it not have a trickle down to 3 or more other players.

It has a bad rap because it is a commonly used comfort blanket for a shit sides with managers who cannot think how to plug their defensive deficiencies in other ways. There are far more proactive and attacking ways to use it and if you look at the current top 3 in practice they now spend far more of their time in what is essentially a back 3 than a back 4

3 Likes

Absolutely amazing paragraph here in a piece by Marcotti on the chase to hire Xabi

There have been more precocious coaches than Alonso: Pep Guardiola won the treble aged just 38, but by the time Manchester City and Bayern Munich (five European Cups/Champions League between them at the time) were the only two slugging it out for his signature

5 CLs between them. Of which 5 were Bayern’s :joy:

2 Likes

This.

The starting formation for Klopp is with 4 at the back. But depending on who goes forward and when , Liverpool does transition to a back 3 quite a lot.

Whether it’s the LB staying back when the RB goes forward , the other way round when Bradley/Trent go up.

It’s not a whole lot different between the 3 at the back sides creating overloads when required.

I’m chilled about the formation. If Amorim is the one we bring in, he can play it however he likes. He will live and die predominantly on results. Ok the way we play, and the manager being the right sort are important too, but it’s a results business.

Three at the back can easily be constructed to be very attacking. We are assuming a defensive bias, but let’s see if that’s what we do.

It may or may not be Amorim. Probably will.
He may or may not go three central defenders. Probably will.
It may or may not be defensive. Probably will not.

Let’s see.

1 Like

Don’t we play already with a back three in ball possession?

9 Likes

Pretty much

2 Likes

Big step by Lisbon to the title now lead by 4 with a game in hand after beating Benfica.

4 Likes

Close the thread!!!

JK is staying!!

I bumped into him and he was keen as mustard.

2 Likes

Hands can be tough to do. Fingers too stubby there for me. Must try harder!

2 Likes