The Hunt for Klopp’s Successor

The most important thing is to get the style and results on the pitch, it would be great to get someone that gels with the club, fans and city, but we have being spoilt and finding someone like Jurgen, who just get’s it, is a tough ask.

2 Likes

1 Like

He’s probably the best option that Liverpool can get at this moment. Especially considering Xabi isn’t keen on moving.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/SkySportsPL/status/1777624296845615413

2 Likes

Aye, it’s looking like a matter of when not if.

In truth I’m excited for what Amorim will bring, sure there’s still a lot of tears to be shed until he’s appointed but when it comes down to it I won’t let my disappointment and sadness in Klopp’s departure affect my feelings towards Amorim (or any new manager).

1 Like

Sporting were knocked out of the Europa League on 14th March by Atalanta who we are playing on Thursday.

No one will be like Klopp, but no one was like Shankly. Bob Paisley was a genial, quiet man by comparison but he had an utterly ruthless streak as a manager and won a shed load of silverware.

I’m happy to take whoever comes next on their own merits.

5 Likes

Star Wars GIF

1 Like

Sorry, I’m not available next season…
You may have to recruit only 3 of us and settle for the treble…

1 Like

Yup, that’s basically my position as well. None of the options talked about fill me with 100% confidence.
Edwards has a real job on his hands, not one I’d want to be faced with to be honest.

If it’s Amorim, then I’ll get behind him and give him his chance. But for now, I feel about that appointment like

Scared Horror GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

2 Likes

22nd manager in 132 years.

Everyone gets 6 years on average.

:sunglasses:

4 Likes

Except Woy

2 Likes

I suspect most new managers are met more with hope over confidence. Klopp was probably an exception as he was proven in the Bundesliga. I suppose Benitez as well.

If we are getting a data driven option, I suspect that it would be more of a Mainz era Klopp rather than Dortmund era signing.

2 Likes

I’m allowed to have an opinion based on what I’ve seen and read. I’ve not claimed to have absolute knowledge of the future.

1 Like

Ok who wouldn’t give you a bad feeling bar the obvious and he is leaving?

1 Like

It’s not everytime a manager will be handed a squad of this quality.

1 Like

Exactly, that has be my point all along. Benitez and Klopp, proven managers before they came in, brought us success. The hopeful appointments in-between brought us disappointment.

That’s no haphazard of course.

1 Like

Klopp has made his teams overperform time and time again, it’s one of his trademark qualities.
We don’t know exactly how good this squad is with an average manager at the helm, and will only find out next season.

2 Likes

True. But if you compare the team that Klopp left behind at Dortmund compared to the team that Klopp is leaving behind at Liverpool, you will find that the Liverpool’s team is one which hasn’t been picked apart by Bayern and other teams.

We’ve largely managed to hold on to the people who are worth holding on to. And a case can well be made that we have the best keeper , the best CB , the best LB going around in world football right now.

Pair that with quality across all other departments and very exciting youngsters coming up. Klopp’s done something which very few managers can have claim to have done (atleast in the PL era). He’s set us up for continued success. He had inherited a team left behind by Brendan and has slowly but surely added in players to make every department better. It’s telling that the only remnant of Brendan’s era is Joe Gomez (excluding TAA). That’s how much he’s evolved the team.

And as for overperforming , due to various reasons ofcourse but the last year’s team did massively underperform (even with the ageing midfield , we should have been finishing in top 3). As far as this Liverpool’s team goes , we aren’t overperforming. In 2 of the seasons with Klopp, we’ve actually underperformed (due to various reasons).

Fed up of answering the same question honestly, reply is the same as it was yesterday and the time before that.

1 Like

Hodgson and the second era of Dalglish. And they were disappointing.

It’s not a guarantee that you’ll achieve success with tried and tested managers. For every Ancelotti , there are so many tried and tested ones who are dinosaurs more or less now.

Benitez is free and despite the affection that most of us have for him, would we take him back ? It will be a hard NO atleast for me.

I would have obviously preferred Alonso. It’s not a guarantee that Amorim will be a success. But what he needs is time to prove himself (which will be in short supply because of the team that Liverpool has) and also he doesn’t need to be compared to an all time great like Klopp atleast immediately. He cannot do what Klopp has done for Liverpool, but he can still build Liverpool up taking the team forward using the foundations laid by Klopp.