The Hunt for Klopp’s Successor

Season 4 Flirting GIF by Friends

It is for posts like this that I want a :face_with_head_bandage: reaction.

As in, did you bump your head?

1 Like

Awkward Richard Pryor GIF by Soul Train

Oh, hello there. :wave:

You should try ‘Your losing your touch’

If we are judging based on credentials of European pedigree etc, Alonso would even be further down the list or at least the same. The very reason that Alonso was so top of the list for alot of us was not because he had won alot, in fact he has won nothing (of course that will change come end of season), but it’s his overall vibes and attitudes towards football (and of course his links to us). Ignoring Alonso past links to us, both of them I would consider in the same spectrum, up and coming young managers who have proven to be able to win and have shown the kind of attitude we want from our club employees.

1 Like

I leave the pedantics to @SBYM

1 Like

Maybe a combination of both. But while winning a league with Bayern is expected , getting sacked in the second season with his team openly rebelling against him isn’t.

He’s got a way to go before he gets to be in the discussion for managing a club like Liverpool. The Liverpool job doesn’t come around too often , that’s the reason why it’s so prestigious.

1 Like

Good shout.

His time with the national team didn’t go well though. I doubt that can be kept against him though. Some managers are more suited to managing Clubs.

But just checked his age , I would have expected him to be around 50 but he’s close to 60. Not that it matters too much but needs mentioning.

That is an interesting point. Alonso had basically a free run at the LFC position, and yet decided to stay put at Leverkusen. I found this very odd when it came out, and still can’t come to terms with it, as it doesn’t make any sense to be honest.

So, maybe he knows something we don’t know?

he knows something we DO… that the league we operate in is very close to a fix…

coming from a closed league hes somehow (just about to) smash the monopoly, why would he do it all over again…

1 Like

Young manager about to win a league title, and break up the monopoly of B.Munich who have won the last 10 leagues.

I personally think staying is a smart move by him. Prove that this season was no flash in the pan and win again next season and get himself a good run in the champions league and he will be having the pick of clubs. If he moves now, and does a Gerrard and screws up at his next club, then all his hard work will be for naught

3 Likes

I assume you mean the pedantry?

And its spelt pedantix.

Yet we’re fine with a manager of same age, and less experience, including none in one of the big 5 leagues?

Look, I don’t presume anything in regards to either Amorim or Naglesmann. Whomever is chosen I will root for just as vehemently. Just think Nagelsmann gets a lot of stick for events that were not handled well by many a Bayern, including Julian, as well as the Bayern board, and Neuer.

Naglesmann certainly has more top level experience than Amorim, but I will be behind Edwards’s choice :100:.

Alonso not coming - I choose to take him at his word. He said his job is not finished at Leverkusen. I respect that. He is taking them to new heights and has only just started, relatively speaking. Leaving the fans so soon would almost seem as though he is treating them as a stepping stone. I see honor in him staying put right now, even if I did want him to come to Liverpool. His record is remarkable, but he is still learning and growing. I would imagine he will do one more season there, and then probably take over from Ancelotti at Real Madrid. We’ll see. Liverpool might yet come into view further down the line, as he is only 42.

As for Amorim v Nagelsmann, I would go for Amorim, but I don’t overlook the latter. Nagelsmann is a very good young coach with high level experience in bigger ponds than Amorim has swam in so far. All the stuff at Bayern Munich is a combination of some substance, and some added tabloid-type drama. I am certain as can be that Edwards and Hughes will know everything there is to know, and will form a judgment accordingly.

From far away as a fan, I don’t like it. One of the strengths of Amorim seems to be the cohesion and buy-in he gets from the group. He is a good coach and communicator and seems to be humble based on his willingness to share the credit. The people he has worked with can’t seem to speak highly enough of him.

At that point there does seem to be a contrast with Nagelsmann. There are plenty of people in the Bayern orbit who don’t seem to like him. I don’t know if that is down to their sense of entitlement and superiority, or whether Nagelsmann let himself down morally with the journalist, and then exacerbated it by sharing insider information and breaking the sanctity of the dressing room. In all likelihood it is probably a bit of both, as Bayern people can come across as arrogant and entitled.

It’s impossible to know what’s what from the outside, but Edwards and Hughes will have an informed view. Even if Nagelsmann did let himself down somewhat, it need not be disqualifying, and there’s no reason why he can’t learn from it.

He is a young manager with high level experience, and I wouldn’t rule him out, but Amorim would be the one for me, if given the choice.

Oh right… I tend to forget that little detail at times… :+1:

The right answer given he’s amidst a title race.

Re. Alonso possibly seeing something we don’t at Liverpool, hence staying at Leverkusen, I don’t buy that in the slightest. He’s contracted to his team, they’re doing well, he is young to the job, why move when things are going well in one of the Top 5 leagues. He could leave and it’s business as usual in the Bundesliga with Bayern Munich winning it, or he could do what Klopp achieved, and double up, and have a good run in the CL.

3 Likes

He’s seeing the job through, makes sense to me.

1 Like

If Alonso truly wants to stick to his guns and manage Real Madrid, Bayern, and Liverpool, I think he’ll manage them in that order. LFC will be by far the hardest club to win trophies, given the wealth of the clubs around us. Bag La Liga and the Bundesliga with Real and Bayern, maybe a UCL or two, and then walk into Anfield as a truly elite manager, able to immediately command respect of players, fans, and opposition. It’s not beyond the realms of possibility that if Amorim does a cracking job, and stays for a long time, then Alonso may succeed him. However, we’ll see if an Arsenal job tempts him post-Arteta, or if he’d like to be sportswashed by Saudi blood money from Newcastle.

How different is Alonso not wanting to move from Leverkusen at the current point any different from Klopp not wanting to move from Dortmund initially when the bigger clubs came asking ?

1 Like