The Hunt for Klopp’s Successor

And considering Alonso wasn’t available, Amorim is probably the best option.

I rate Ancelotti very highly but there are questions on his longetivity ( considering his age )even if we do manage to get him. He’s not a long term prospect.

Conte , Jose & Tuchel are car crashes waiting to happen. There’s absolutely no way they do anything apart from rip the carefully planned structure to the ground. Even FSG won’t recognise them as suitable candidates

De Zerbi - I think he’s a cracking manager. Wouldnt have minded seeing him turn up but Amorim probably ticked more boxes for FSG

Inzaghi - way too inexperienced. People can claim the same about Amorim but Amorim has paid his dues more.

Zidane - He’s tactically naive and will get found out in the PL. There’s a reason why he’s not been looked at by other clubs.

Benitez - His time has come and gone. Time for him to retire. There have been enough last paydays to set him up to live happily in Liverpool.

Potter - Failed massively at Chelsea and De Zerbi’s accomplishments with the same Brighton team ensures that his stock isn’t as high as when he was at Brighton.

Simeone - Cunt , would be a car crash at Liverpool with his style of football. Also seems to be a one club manager.

Who else amongst prospective candidates ? Having Klopp as the previous manager spoiled us. We aren’t going to get anyone as good as him.

3 Likes

I’m just relieved you didn’t address Nagelsmann.

2 Likes

There are simply not two so well credentialed managers as the 2015 versions of Klopp and Ancelloti currently without a job to pitch to. Fuck, I’d argue there are barely any other managers in work with comparable reputations as those guys had even then.

We might have gone for a up and coming guy anyway, but you cannot ignore the difference in market conditions when considering how many questions there are about the guys who seem to be the candidates.

4 Likes

Someone who’s failed at Bayern won’t be good enough for Liverpool.

1 Like

Your work here is finished. Take the day off and we’ll meet again tomorrow.

Did he fail Bayern, or did Bayern fail him? Still think Nagelsmann has a big career in front of him myself.

1 Like

I find it really odd Ljinders is nowhere near the conversation. Has he pissed someone off? Does he really want absolutely nothing to do with managing Liverpool right now (or ever).

As soon as Alonso pulled out, Ljinders was my preference. He knows Liverpool intimately, Klopp trusts him immensely, he’s integral to how we play, the players like him. Why is Ljinders not considered the best or even a realistic option?

He said that as soon as Klopp and his staff talked about having one more go (last summer), he agreed that when Jurgen would leave, he would also leave. He said in his interview that maybe we meet again in the future.

3 Likes

He had already publicly ruled himself out. I have no idea if there was any consideration internally to giving it to him, but I imagine not given neither of the guys making that consideration were at the club in a decision making capacity by the time Pep had made those comments. I imagine this was a case of him understanding that if he was viable he wouldnt have had to audition for it so ruled himself out to save the awkwardness of putting his hand up and being ignored

1 Like

Pep is two years older than Amorim… Maybe is was the daunting task of replacing Jurgen that put Pep Lijnders on the back foot - he seemed to give his all for the club though - maybe he will return one day

1 Like

The next liverpool manager and Richard Hughes will need to decide a few things in the summer:

1. Mohamed Salah and his successor

Salah’s contract ends at 2025. Salah has started to show signs of slowing down and is already transitioning to a playmaker. Just going off stats, he is still the best forward in the club. Should the club give him another 2-3 year contract or sell him for resale value?

And who’s best to succeed salah at RW if Amorim decides to stick with the club’s current formation.

1. The rest of the first team forwards

Bar for Salah and Jota being composed enough to at least finish 1 in 5 or 6 chances, the rest of the current forwards are frankly horrible in finishing.

Diaz as I mentioned in the his thread is that he is quite good in nearly everything else except finishing. He works better when the choices for scoring are narrowed for him.

Darwin Nunez has the physical ability and he has the pace as well but his decision-making and his finishing are pretty erratic.In one game, he could miss a sitter but score a wonder goal. In another game, he could not have any goal contributions but draws the opponent away from his team-mates and allow them the space and time to score.

Cody Gakpo is a strange player. He could skip away from players but ends up making the final pass wrong. He has the physical size but doesn’t have the upper body strength. His work-rate is not consistent as well.

Diogo Jota is arguably the second best finisher or even the best finisher in the club. Good in the air, decent work-rate and very good in his finishing at crucial moments. However, his injury records are working against him which makes his records looks more similar to Fernando Torres rather than Mo Salah.

So who do LFC keep and sell to improve the forward line?

1. Joel Matip and Joe Gomez

It’s straightforward for Joel Matip after the emergence of Quansah and the arrival of the new manager. As for Gomez, it is really a toss-up.

If you don’t see the value of Joe Gomez to this team after this season you can’t have been paying attention.

20 Likes

The least of the new manager’s worries is going to be Joe Gomez, a valuable, versatile player who is still young, knows the club inside out and has a relatively cheap contract until 2027.

That’s a nonsensical take.

13 Likes

I gave you a thumbs up for the Salah and forwards comment. There is work for the new manager to do there, and some key decisions will need to be made.

I disagree with the Gomez shout. He is one of the key reasons we are where we are so far this season. When several others have been injured, Gomez has covered at right back, left back, and a bit a centre back too. I think we may have even seen him at defensive midfield when we were in a bind.

Gomez is a valuable and versatile squad man who will see plenty of games due to his high level in more than one position.

2 Likes

At the time there were people saying Klopp was finished - he had had a bad season with Dortmund and he’d been found out etc. :rofl:

2 Likes

Proper one trick pony. Without Buvac he is nothing

Yup, remember that season being brought up many times.

Ignorant of the fact of injuries and that he basically took them from relegation to the European places hence why we met them a year later in Klopp’s first great comeback.

He did ironically what he did in a similar way in 2020-21. Intriguing we are entering usually a very good period of a season for Klopp sides.

1 Like

What about Hansi Flick? He was highly successful at Bayern.

1 Like

Bloody hell, if I was an Arsenal fan, I’d be licking my lips at the prospect of Klopp leaving and Guardiola possibly following suit in a year or so. Hell, I’d probably be almost as optimistic if I was a Man United fan, considering that they are finally getting their house in order…

That said, our house seems in order, even though we’ll have lost its head by the summer. Still, while I share @ZinedineBiscan’s concerns about Amorim’s tactical approach and lack of European credentials, reports are saying that he’s one of those coaches who build a strong, unified team - that probably suggests that he should pass the “no dickheads” policy, which is the first criterion that anyone employed by this club should fulfil.

No. Just no.

1 Like