The Hunt for Klopp’s Successor

Rafa would still be several steps if we get to that stage. I have a feeling it’s Edwards and Hughes doing their usual cards to the chest approach.

1 Like

If it’s someone like Potter, O’Neill, Slot, even De Zerbi, it’s going to be a big sell to convince the fanbase in the first place, let alone some of our players. With all the talk around Alonso being that Edwards and co would consider other factors besides the data, they’d surely know that some of the names banded around just cannot happen due to the deflated feeling around them in the first place. Slot seems to have emerged over the last few days, but he’s just going to be compared to Ten Hag, who arrived at Man Utd with a higher sense of potential.

I can’t help but feel it’s going to be an experienced manager in the “sacrificial” role i.e Emery. They’d keep us competing, while also allowing the younger managers to develop further. So the options could be:

Emery, Schmidt, Rose.

Nothing exciting, but solid, stable options to oversee the transition away from a Klopp managed Liverpool.

1 Like

Can’t really get too excited by the search for Klopp’s replacement whilst he’s still here and there’s a title to still be won.

Saying that, what little attention I’ve paid to it made me wonder about whether Amorin was right now Edwards was back at the helm.

Both Amorin, and Alonso for that matter, prefer a set up with a back three. Not that we couldn’t switch to that but feels like if we’d gone that route we’d have a few players without a natural role in that set up.

Slot at least seems to have a preference for a set up that’s more in line with the way the squad has been built. If the idea is to have a head coach that comes in to manage “the Liverpool way”, a blueprint set out above the manager and that is implemented through the youth teams up to the first team, then Slot looks a more natural fit. People might finally see that 4-2-3-1 look they’ve been crying out for pretty much since Klopp arrived.

Whether we can stomach a baldy, and a Dutch one at that, after all the “bald fraud” shouts these last few years, I’m not so sure. But his record is kind of on par with Amorin. Both took on the “third giant” in their respective countries and managed to break the traditional duopoly in winning the title. Kind of similar to Klopp with Dortmund too.

I guess if Amorin is entertaining ideas of taking over West Ham then that’s perhaps a reflection on where he sees the level of his next step.

1 Like

Who is Rose…

If we did go for experience then we should consider Flick. I doubt he would come mind.

2 Likes

Marco Rose. Former Monchengladbach, Dortmund, and now current RB Leipzig manager. Sort of fits the type of football we’ve played under Klopp.

1 Like

Well this is depressing. I had a bad feeling about Anorim. I can’t recall one positive soundbite he has given in regard to his name being up for the LFC job. Not one.

1 Like

I’m getting flashbacks to saying things like this to persuade myself that Roy Hodgson made sense.

That makes a fair bit of reason.

He was at Dortmund well he would tick the European experience.

Hughes and Edwards, the latter at the very least, seem to be good decision makers though unlike the setup we had back then.

5 Likes

It’s not my preference, believe me. I think the psychological aspect around the next appointment cannot be underestimated, hence why most of the names are worrying. Even my suggestion at a sacrificial manager who is solid and stable doesn’t fill me with confidence, but I’m trying to see it from an FSG angle at trying not to be too risky in a post-Klopp era. The risk factor would be the appointment after Klopp’s successor. They’d perhaps want to consolidate on what they have, and make sure we don’t drop off too much.

It’s sort of why I’ve had an eye on Xavi from Barcelona. A legendary name in the world of football, experience at managing a big club, managing in Europe, winning La Liga as a coach, and using lots of young players. Appreciate others don’t rate him. Then again, I’ve also had a deep desire for Zidane.

1 Like

I would say this…

The man needs to in my view have taken over that middle sized club and done well enough.

I don’t want those fresh out of the pond types like Potter or O’Neill.

And prefable to have done that in Spain, Italy or Germany or in the UK.

3 Likes

Xavi would be my choice of a big name manager but he may not be keen on moving.

Might keep those wanting to move to Barca at the club :joy:

I’m going wait and see, we might have our choice done.

2 Likes

Maybe they don’t have a choice in this market, but Edwards and FSG just don’t strike me as risk averse, medium-term, stay afloat solution types.

3 Likes

I hope that if Xabi is bound to come in a year or two, then we do go for an interim experienced option, and in that case, I only see one name, and that name is Flick…

2 Likes

It depends on the circumstances. Taking over a club that has underperformed and essentially failing, it calls for risky solutions, to roll the dice and take a chance.

We’re at a completely different stage, with the next manager having to take over a legendary figure. FSG also consist of financial figures who know when to take a risk, and when to consolidate. Most people outside of LFC circles expect us to fall off a cliff post-Klopp. FSG may view this as a time to consolidate, keep us at the top end of the table for a few seasons, allow the managerial market to adjust, and then roll the dice and take a chance on the next young managerial star.

3 Likes

I just don’t see the point of “safe pair of hands” approach. Klopp is gone. Everything will be different. Might as well go with whoever you think is the best option rather than worrying more about a profile that says “we’re consolidating what we have”.

I’d rather a boom or bust swing at someone like Slot, Amorin or someone left field (like Spurs did with Postecoglu) than a Potter or Rose who you think will be okay but an easy sacrificial lamb in a couple years if needs be.

1 Like

I’m simply presenting an angle that Edwards and FSG may be considering, as they do have to consider everything.

I want a young, exciting manager, hence I was all over the Alonso and Amorim train, and why I want Xavi now.

I’d get behind someone like Rose or Schmidt, but I’d rather we didn’t go down that route, as it’s just not exciting, or something that’d galvanise the club after the loss of a legend in Klopp.

1 Like

I’m starting to worry @cynicaloldgit has it right with Motta and we won’t hear the end of it from him. Plus, he’ll be richer.

Nah. I’m not the gloating type.

Unlike you.

1 Like

Agreeance

1 Like