The Inequality Thread

Someone is going to have to explain to me what competitive advantage exists when it comes to knocking balls around a table with a stick.

2 Likes

Because Ms Pinches feels the need to make herself relevant by taking a stance.
She should really ask " Who fucking cares?"

I can think of a couple.

1 Like

She/he isn’t even looking at the balls!

Wanted to put this in the racism thread but couldnt find it

Thread is closed though.

1 Like

And rightly so :roll_eyes:

This is grotesque.

The man in the yellow tie is black. He has just been subjected to multiple “jokes” about being black, culminating in being called an “oreo” (black on the outside but white on the inside). The coverage of this has focused on Pirro saying it, but look at the glee of the other 3. The whole body laughs coming from the shared understanding that “omg you’re only supposed to say that sort of thing when none of them are around to hear it”. This is precisely why non-white people are so distrustful of predominantly white spaces and why it is so important to root out such spaces.

Why don’t you actually post the footage if you’re going to make such biased claims.

FFS, the BLACK mayor of NYC is referencing to his leadership group as “chocolate”. Don’t you understand the context of it all? Oreo, Snickers, Cadbury egg mentioned by that panel. Pirro also black…

Pirro is most definitely not black. She is of Lebanese ancestry, and regardless of whether she identifies as Arab American or not, that would classify her as white (caucasion) by census standards.

Adams is a fucking fruitcake. What he says or does should not be taken as a standard by which anyone else’s conduct should be judged

There is of course a massive difference between how a person of one ethnicity/race will take about that vs what is appropriate for other people to say about people of that demographic. Adams using the word chocolate in that context is using it to create commonality with people. Gutfield calling Ford Jr his chocolate egg is of course entirely different. That is a statement pointing out that he has differences that, according to him deserve being point out to everyone. Yes, context is important

The use of Oreo is another level on from that. In this context it is an identification of how he may be black but can act white enough to be acceptible…as if being educated, articulate, or wealthy make him white passing. Of course that is astonishingly racist when used in the context Pirro is using it (very different from similar phrases that non-white people may use about themselves to describe their ability to “code switch”). Again, yes context is important.

Finally, the point is the reaction. They knew it a “naughty” hence their laughter.

Showing the full clip doesnt provide any cover for how appalling this entire episode is

1 Like

so in context of this conversation, with the focus on the conversation about Adams (a Fruitcake?) using confectionary to describe his administration…

You feel it’s unacceptable for the 5 people in that snippet to be making candy jokes?

You really can’t see the latent humor in all this? really???

1 Like

This might not be exactly the same situation but when we are doing standup comedy, thats precisely the problem we face, is that “you are not supposed to punch down, but punching up is ok” but to another group of us, we believe that comedy is comedy, there was this comedian who was Muslim and he was making jokes all night about Islam and his own Malay race and of course the Chinese but then a Chinese comedian went up and started also making jokes about the Malays, he actually complained to the organizer that "the chinese guy is in no position to be making jokes about Malays when they are enjoying the chinese privilege in Singapore’. He was banned by the organizer (who is a black british guy just for the record) from all future events.

There are millions of things in the world to make jokes about. Why do people just concentrate on cultural differences? It’s totally boring after a while.

3 Likes

Of course, but every jokes if crafted well, as long its funny, it does not matter what you do. Comedians all have different styles, and of course audiences will like who they like, just like you have a preferred movie genre, musical style etc. I started to appreciate stand up comedy only when I started doing it. I use to think its just going up to stage and tell all the nonsense that you have been telling your friends. But crafting a joke to the point that strangers will laugh at is an art and that is why I do not believe that there should be boundaries. If someone wants to go up and make jokes about controversial topics, so be it, if it is more offensive than funny, the crowd will make it known. Like recently, we hear so many jokes about the Israel/Palestine war. Some managed to craft a humourous context while some despicably just tag onto the current trending topics and delivered a monologue at a comedy show.

EDIT: and my previous post was more about why it was ok for the Muslim guy to make jokes about another race but when the other race make jokes about his race, he plays the victim.

This is such a bleak and cautionary tale that could be pretty much anywhere in the West. There is a feeling that people and place are left behind and the consequences are devastating!

fascinating

What he describes is what I call permanent recession which is exactly what I’ve been saying most of my life.
Recession is when the wealth ‘returns’ to those ‘it belongs to’.
Class war is the only way and we shouldn’t wait until it’s just ‘under class’ vs rich. That only finishes one way!
They, the rich, will not hesitate to kill us!

I am sure sexism and discrimination are a problem that needs address, but the other extreme is you getting campaigners trying to ‘bring people down’ like what BR is describing here. For this particular incident, my view is that they are just trying to capitalize on a public personality and bring him down with pressure, either you apologize or you are a sexist. For this incident, When the reporter has mentioned she taken no offence, its again a group of people who like to think they should take offence on behalf.