The Inequality Thread

This is such a bleak and cautionary tale that could be pretty much anywhere in the West. There is a feeling that people and place are left behind and the consequences are devastating!

fascinating

What he describes is what I call permanent recession which is exactly what I’ve been saying most of my life.
Recession is when the wealth ‘returns’ to those ‘it belongs to’.
Class war is the only way and we shouldn’t wait until it’s just ‘under class’ vs rich. That only finishes one way!
They, the rich, will not hesitate to kill us!

I am sure sexism and discrimination are a problem that needs address, but the other extreme is you getting campaigners trying to ‘bring people down’ like what BR is describing here. For this particular incident, my view is that they are just trying to capitalize on a public personality and bring him down with pressure, either you apologize or you are a sexist. For this incident, When the reporter has mentioned she taken no offence, its again a group of people who like to think they should take offence on behalf.

But who are those people? A bunch of media whores looking for clickbait. It’s a nothing story and we shouldn’t even be discussing it.

2 Likes

its Rodgers so of course he was being condescending.

i doubt it was sexist in nature though…he treats everyone the same

1 Like

The League of Cunts against Condescending will attack him so.

I wouldn’t ever call an adult women doing a professional job ‘a girl’. That’s just fucking ignorant from Rodgers. Also ‘good girl’? Jesus, how skincrawlingly patronising.

That he meant no offence is irrelevant. People rarely mean to offend. We know what Rodgers is like having seen him first hand. He is an arrogant, vain, insecure man, who’s default is to use condescension and patronising language to assert himself as the ‘alpha’.

Also it’s worth noting that the comments were at the end of a line of questioning that Rodgers didn’t like. He was definitely being a twat.

And isn’t this classic Brendan: "And the irony of it is, I shared with players not so long ago the story of Jessica Watson, the young woman of 16 years of age who travelled around the world solo on a boat - the documentary I watched was really inspiring. True Spirit it was called. I actually shared it with the players in terms the inspiration they can take of a woman of that age, what she’s been through and everything else.”

Some of his best friends are women, you know.

2 Likes

Or
Its a commonplace phrase that people looking for offence zone in on.

The lady isn’t insulted, but there is always someone to get offended on people’s behalves.

Next thing Carra says good lad on SKY after Elliot scores…will there be outrage? Or is it just a figure of speech?

I call women girls, as I call men boys or lads…its not condescending or is it insulting. Its language

2 Likes

So if the girl herself says she is not offended, it does not matter. We can get offended on her behalf and try to get the other party in trouble. If the pressure does not get to him or cause enough trouble to ‘cance;’ him, its ok, lets look for the next person to get offended on behalf of.

Its one thing if the girl herself is offended for some reason and wants to pursue it and the group comes out in support but another thing when the involved parties do not even care.

EDIT: and I agree that BR may be a dickhead but in this instance, I don’t see what he has to answer or apologise for as the group demands.

1 Like

You also need to factor in the tone that is used. And if you listen to the audio, Rogers is being a condisending arrogant cunt as he says it with a smug and dismissive tone that he thinks his shit doesn’t stink

He needs to apologize for being a dickhead.

1 Like

So, people have to apologise for being dickheads now?

Jesus, this place will be overloaded with apologies!

2 Likes

@PeachesEnRegalia’s apologies would take up a whole thread. Can the servers support this ?

1 Like

There is a huge difference.

Firstly, men do not have to struggle to be taken seriously in football. Male journalists don’t have the experience of filing their report and then going on Twitter see their their timeline full of hateful nonsense telling them to go report on mens football, questioning their right to do their job, or asking who they’ve shagged to get the gig.

Second, in context Rodger’s was pissed off at the question and was trying to put her in her place. It wasn’t a choice of words used to convey approval or appreciation. He was being a shithouse.

I don’t think you can point out the the women in question said she didn’t feel insulted, as a reason why it’s nothing. She is a reporter dependent on keeping a good relationship with Celtic. She wouldn’t feel able to kick off even if she was offended. Male reporters can’t rock the boat too much with clubs - they need the access.

I’ve heard the reply made by Brendan. And it’s sexist.

Comparing with the Moyes comments a while back , This is condescending and sexist as well.

Managers don’t need to be condescending towards Reporters (someone just doing their jobs and female sports reporters have it tougher).

David Moyes charged by the FA over female reporter ‘slap’ remark | David Moyes | The Guardian.

Of course it matters. There is a wider issue of women in football that needs to be addressed. Prickly managers calling female reporters ‘good girl’ in response to questions they don’t like is a problem regardless of offence.

Mel Reddy is an outstanding journalist and her knowledge of the game is second to none. That didn’t stop an untrue rumour that she was shagging Sadio Mane taking hold, because heaven forfend she managed to get herself to the top of her profession through hard work and perseverance.

The reporter in this case can’t rock the boat as she is reliant on a good relationship with Celtic and Rodgers for access to the club. We don’t know how she feels about being called a ‘good girl’ in a professional work context.

1 Like

Mate, if there is one thing to take away from this conversation it’s that she isn’t a ‘girl’. It’s 2024 and she is women doing her job.

We should just ban the bloke and really start cleaning up the place.

Text without context is pretext.