The Inequality Thread

Or I could believe her when she says she isnt insulted.

Or I could do as you have done and surmise that she is keeping her mouth shut due to circumstances.

Guess either of us could be correct

I am of a certain age but I wouldnā€™t dream of saying ā€œgood girlā€ to any female apart from my two little granddaughters. The only possible mitigation I can think of is if it is a northern Irish thing rather like ā€œloveā€ is in Yorkshire.

I get that 100%.
And if its said as reductionist then its offensive.

But if you said Salah is a hard working lad, that isnā€™t in anyway offensive.

Its language. And interpretation of meaning

Have you ever called a grown man lad or boy?

Yes of course but calling someone lad or la is definitely a scouse thingā€¦ it is all about perception and context though and he should have realised that. It isnā€™t a major crime but definitely came across as condescension and of course she would say she isnā€™t bothered.

People do dumb stuff. All of us. You know that thing about casting stones?
Thereā€™s so much outrage about every little stupid comment anyone makes, youā€™d think everyone else was angels. People love to be righteously indignant about other peopleā€™s flaws.
Some idiot said something stupid. The other party has forgiven him.
How is this a big deal?

It isnā€™t in the grand scheme of thingsā€¦

1 Like

Isnā€™t calling an adult a ā€œgood girlā€ or a ā€œgood boyā€ in the manner he did condescending,not sexist.

Absolutely

The question to ask is if he would have been condescending to a male reporter in that circumstance.

If the answer is yes, as it most likely would beā€¦then its a non event

Good man yourself

1 Like

If he spoke like that to someone like Stuart Pearce or Ally McCoist in a similar dismisive and condescending tone he would spend the next week sifting through his shit checking if his front teeth had passed out yet.

Reported.

Inequality really pisses me off.

Thatā€™s why, in my eyes, you all give me the shits equally.

I apologised on my first day. It is implied thereafter in perpetuity.

Lad and lass are quite northern and used as a term of familiarity?

However saying Salah is a hard working boy would feel quite weird as heā€™s 31 years old.

But the other things to remember are that men donā€™t have the barriers and struggles with credibility that women face working in football. And Rodgers wasnā€™t being complimentary to her, he was being a twat. The good girl comment was clearly to put her in her place.

2 Likes

Headline - Twat acts like Twat

In an unexpected turn of events, a man known for being a knob acts like a knob. The whole world is shocked and amazed that he could have behaved entirely in character.

1 Like

Whether the person being spoken to took offense is a really bad measure to use to decide if the speaker deserves criticisms. I should not need to feel offended for someone being a fuck to be judged a fuck. Maybe I view them as beneath my contempt already such that nothing they say to me can generate an emotion from me? Likewise, and I know people who complain about this stuff already think this is the situation, but just because someone says they are offended doesnā€™t mean we have to believe them. We are adults and we can use our judgement on the appropriateness of someoneā€™s behavior or speech.

So what is the issue here? As @Mascot has already stated, referring to someone in a professional setting where there is a power structure in play, as ā€œboyā€ or ā€œgirlā€, is a demeaning move that is a legit HR offense in any corporate place. Itā€™s a pretty basic consideration, at least in the anglosphere. If he did that in any corporate meeting heā€™d get written up for it. And done without momentā€™s hesitation if the context was as clearly dismissive and disrespectful as this was.

Are there other situations where ā€œgirlā€ or ā€œboyā€ are fine? Sure? Language has nuance and it does no good to anyone to ignore that and pretend that context cues arent important in understanding the meaning of the same word(s) used in different circumstances. ā€œMateā€ can be a legitimate term of affection between friends (you getting your round in at the pub and bring back everyoneā€™s pint), but can also be used in an intentionally and clearly understood to be threatening way (the guy who thought you pushed in front of him to get to the bar). It is asinine to pretend that there arenā€™t difference in the message being conveyed, or that we are not capable of telling the difference without interrogating the feelings of the person being spoken to.

For Brendon, it is worthy of condemnation by itself that he would use the word girl or boy in this context to dismiss a reporter. It is also though a very legitimate question to ask whether he only made this decision because it was a female he was talking to and felt more comfortable using that tool in his belt to demean the reporter than he would have used to a male (and the answer is yes) .

3 Likes

What Bodgers seems to have forgottenā€¦ He is a representative of Celtic Football Club, and being ā€˜front of houseā€™, so to speak, he should have followed the company line and kept his personal traits in check.
Itā€™s alright getting his teeth done so they sparkle like diamonds, or going to the best tailors to have his suits madeā€¦ bottom line remains, he is but a small cog in a big corporate machine - he needs to keep up with the changing times so negative attention like this can be avoided

The Noel Coward Theatre will hold two ā€œBlack Outā€ performances solely for an ā€œall-black-identifying audienceā€. They will apparently be free from the white gaze. Can they legally stop me from buying a ticket and turning up I wonder.

Nope, and they wonā€™t. Itā€™s marketed towards an ā€œall-black-identifying audienceā€, but itā€™s not exclusionary in any way.

Except itā€™s a useful tool for the Torygraph to get the Tory Islamophobia problem off the front pages.

2 Likes