The Inequality Thread

Did they ask for directions to holy sites?

Not sure how old this clip is.
He probably has an argument, but oops :rofl:

https://twitter.com/i/status/1776571645739565394

https://x.com/jburnmurdoch/status/1778739408738402354

2 Likes

https://x.com/jdportes/status/1778694784036581617

3 Likes
2 Likes

A cracking article. I remember reading the book when it first came out; I let my sister borrow it and never got it back.

2 Likes

Property is theft.

2 Likes

A very interesting proposal from Brazil, supported by Germany, South Africa and Spain.

3 Likes

I was talking to a “colleague” via teams and he said an odd thing that I found jarring, annoying and rather offensive. He stated that he would much rather be black, gay, trans, whatever, and rich, rather than a poor white person - he is white and fairly privileged He then went on to say that if there was white privilege, why are there poor white people…

Luckily the call was only scheduled for 30 min and we thankfully returned to talk shop for the remaining few minutes that were left.

5 Likes

Ignoring the merits of the argument, who the fuck talks like that on a work call?

8 Likes

The kind of person that thinks they are the “silent majority”.

4 Likes

Indeed!

It was just so left field and sadly the two things that came to my slow mind were “did I hear that right” followed by “maybe he’s extra stressed”…

There was also a short blurb about London Guardian readers and their view of poverty vs the poverty up in the grim North (Edinburgh in his case)….

It’s funny/sad how we make excuses for people.

2 Likes

I think it’s beautiful, it shows compassion. A belief that someone is better than that behaviour.

2 Likes

Hang on two secs; I’m going to have to look up that word.

1 Like

It’s a concept from after your time, sadly.

It is.
There’ll no doubt be many out there already making excuses for the kid who stabbed those poor innocent children.

I think people might struggle with identifying reasons rather than making excuses. The common rationale sought in such cases is that the person must be mad…its not really an excuse, more that it reassures people that the world is safer now that the perpetrator is out of the way.
Then we can write headlines and move on to the next tragedy.

4 Likes

Heaven forbid we try and understand why a tragedy has happened in an effort to prevent the next one, rather than spend a couple of weeks on instant frothing kneejerk rage before moving on to the next thing that that we want to feel performatively angry about.

2 Likes

Usual lame excuses about preventing the next one.
Google knife killings, literally hundreds.
Thankfully young children are rarely the victims.

Deterrents aren’t severe enough, for any violent crimes in this country, and continuous roll out about understanding to prevent is clealy not working.

You can do both, Dane. It isn’t a binary thing. You can throw the full force of the law at someone who kills three children, and you can attempt to understand what could have driven someone to such a terrible act.

The latter is not looking for excuses. Nobody is trying to understand this lad, who will rightly spend the rest of his life behind bars.

Understanding something is never lame. We should always try to understand why something has happened. We can understand Hitler was an evil scumbag, and also understand that the harshness and punitive measures of the treaty of Versailles, that led to the destruction of the German Economy created the conductions for him to seize control of the country.

In the case of the situation in Southport, we don’t know what led to the man acting as he did, but I suspect a collapse in social care structures that could have intervened with someone clearly mentally ill have at least a little to do with it.