The Liverpool Guide Thread

This is for people who would like to visit Liverpool and the Merseyside area and the Wirral and get some tips from the locals on what to see, where to eat and nature parks to see etc. We had one of the TIA.

Feel free to add to this place.

I have a question, which suburbs are good to live in, with decent transport links and the amenities?

Which Estate agents do you recommend?

7 Likes

Hi Maria… Woolton Village and close proximity to Black Woods is a nice area.
In the Village is St. Peters Church. The Church Hall is famous in connection to the Beatles, and in the graveyard is both Eleanor Rigby’s grave and the late great Bob Paisley. Strawberry Fields is only a 5min. walk away, with John Lennon’s old house backing onto the grounds.
Penny Lane is a further 10min walk.
Many of the LFC players such as Firmino, Alisson, Mane live in the Woolton Hill and Allerton area that is close by…
There are many nice areas throughout Maria, but maybe you should trawl through youtube for stuff like the Beatles Magical Mystery Tour, Cavern Tour, Albert Docks etc…
You should be able to pick up the vibe and get a better idea of the City…! :0)

3 Likes

Oh thank you so much.
I have been to Liverpool to visit my uncle’s wife family, when I was younger and been to The Wirral.
Also went during match days, but I basically was staying near the Albert Docks area and walking around Anfield area

I don’t know much about the suburbs. My neice was on a secondment in Liverpool last year, but she lived near the city centre.

I will definitely look up those places you mentioned.

Do you know St Helens well?

St Helens is what in slang is called a ‘Woolyback’ (look it up) :0) area for no other reason than it is on the outskirts of the city.
Nice places there also, but the people don’t have a scouse accent, so when you are in the middle of the town, you could mistakenly take it for anywhere else in the UK.
Maria, Liverpool is a long City stretching from North to South right along the Dock Road adjacent to the River Mersey. Across the river, is what is then called then The Wirral (in other words, according to them, they are not scouser’s, nor from Merseyside.!!)
The city from this frontage, then spreads back into the different districts until the outskirts (like St. Helens), are reached along the differing boundary lines.
Queens Drive, about 5 miles inland from the waterfront, is the main carriageway that travels the full distance again, from North to the South of the city. This passes through Ken Dodd country at the Knotty Ash Juncture.
Gateacre, Woolton, Woolton Hill, Allerton, Childwall etc, are South end…
Bootle ( Carragher Country), Sefton, Maghull, Aintree are North end.
Shankly lived in West Derby area, which is the centre of both.
Over the past couple of decades, Liverpool as a city, has become really cosmopolitan… But that matters not a jot to the scouse accent, it remains as strong as ever with the locals no matter who you encounter! :0)

3 Likes

Thank you Maria.

2 Likes

Sandsoftime,
You encouraged me to order an A to Z street guide book of Liverpool and Merseyside. I am old school, I like looking at maps and streetfinders in a book.

I looked up Woolyback :smiley:

4 Likes

I can edit tread titles now :star_struck:

On topic, @Maria I understand you are also interested in travel thread, so do you want to keep this one purely about Liverpool/Merseyside or want to convert it into a general travel/tourism thread.

His thread should be separate from the travel thread as it is a thread about a specific county all things related to it, in terms of culture, sightseeing, living, eating out etc.

3 Likes

I read somewhere (maybe The Echo) many years ago, that the term “Woolybacks” originated during a dockers strike in the late nineteenth, early twentieth century?The name was given to Welsh “Scab” labourers that were transported up The Mersey and into the docks around barges. They were covered with sheepskins to hide them. Hence the name “Woolyback”.

As for being called a Scouser? I was born and bred on The Wirral but consider myself as Scouse. I was often referred to as “Scouse” when I was in the Reserve Forces and was training with other troops from around the country. I know that “proper” Cockley are supposed to be born within the sound of Bow Bells and there’s something about “proper” Geordies" being born somewhere specific.

2 Likes

I love The Wirral, it is very scenic. Plus, you are not far from Wales. I love Wales.

Good points Commando…
Not sure where or when the term ‘Woolyback’ originally derived from, but I know its meaning has changed many many times, over the last century.
It certainly does have connections to the docks and dock workers though, because there are just too many recollections and myths that surround the term. As a youngster. before container ships were heard of to transport secure cargo, and when the docks and dock road was still buzzing everyday like a New Year’s Eve in Times Square, it was well known that zillions of dockers had to ‘handball’ and ‘manhandle’ the unloading of the ships.
Depending upon the job/role you had in this operation, called for carrying stuff on your back. The attire worn was a sheepskin waistcoat of sorts that padded the jarring of the shoulders and back that occurred as you walked with the load over the cobbles etc. Many outsiders from the area were employed on the docks and obviously, like any ‘new start’ in a closed shop affair, their first role was to be given the worst/hardest job there was… Viz - ‘Woolyback’ and probably why no one wanted to be one, or called one back in those days. The coalmen of the day, on their weekly deliveries to almost every household back then, used the same sheepskin waistcoat for the same reasons as the dockers.
Neither being a real term of endearment, nor derogatory in the true sense, it has simply evolved in todays language as someone that lives outside the Liverpool area… and more in relation to the cotton towns of Lancashire…!
It is good you regard yourself as a Scouser, and why not.
However, you will be well aware that many on the Wirral regard themselves as people nearer to Cheshire than to Merseyside. Just ask Tranmere loving Mike Dean is he a Merseysider or not.!

3 Likes

Hi Maria… The Wirral is a lovely place, bordering Cheshire and into North wales there is lots to be admired and enjoyed.
For what its worth though, you could never become an adopted Scouser without a visit and stop over in Rhyl…! For kids growing up in Liverpool before cheap flights to Benidorm, the caravan parks and beaches in the surrounding areas in that neck of the woods, were a haven for us youngsters that were only used to terrace streets of city dwellers.

4 Likes

Mrs CDO and myself were watching “Brick up the Mersey Tunnel” at the Royal Court. It’s a brilliant show, a comedy about the Liverpool/Wirral divide. I went for a pee in the interval. When I got back Mrs CDO was laughing to herself. I asked her what was funny? While I was out the couple behind us (who both spoke very poshly) had this conversation.
Her, “They swear a lot don’t they?
Him, "I don’t know. I can’t understand most of what they’re saying. :joy:

@Maria When you do visit Liverpool, you should try and get to a show at The Royal Court. The tickets are cheap enough and you can include a nice meal for about £10. It’s mine and Mrs CDO’s favourite night out. The cast are usually in the pub next door after the show for a meet and greet. Great night out. :+1::nerd_face:

4 Likes

Are there forests/woodlands or other natural spaces (wetlands etc.) in the region? I watched the clip by Maria and it has few such spots, but the clip is too short. Can anyone recommend something in the YouTube.

There are some lovely places on the Wirral:

https://www.visitwirral.com/things-to-do/attractions/beaches

2 Likes

lftikhar… For an inner city, it does have a surprising number of green spaces and parks.
It also depends what you mean by region though… Lake District is within an hour or so striking distance… @cynicaloldgit is spot on though with his last post re the Wirral. That being the closest and most obvious for any budding David Bellamy enthusiasts. :+1:

1 Like

@sandsoftime and @Commando and @cynicaloldgit

I am writing all this down in my bucket travel notebook. Thanks a million guys, you my Aurora Borealis.
I got my aunt’s family there, but hearing it from you guys it abit more depth and alternative places.

The plan is, when I retire and travel with my cousin, is to rent a place for a month or two a year in Liverpool and travel in the neighbouring areas. If I like it there (I love northern areas), who knows where my destiny will take me.

The thing is I don’t want to do another Canada, where I immigrated and came back with container an all and didn’t last a year there. So, it is a kinda live there for a bit, see if it suits you before you make a permanent decision selling up in London.

How many hours drive from Liverpool to the Lake District ?

My Mum’s cousin lives in Manchester, near the cricket ground and it is not far to visit.

2 Likes

… a try before you buy eh Maria :0)
Get into the heart of the Lake District in about 90mins by car.

1 Like

Okay, I am definitely moving after the Pandemic. :joy:
So, you can easily do a day trip there. I love the Lake District.

How about the famous Blackpool?

2 Likes

Famous for widely opening your eyes you mean Maria… :eyes:
From North or South end of the city… about an hour or so by car

2 Likes