The Liverpool Guide Thread

There are also some lovely places to visit in North Wales and Cheshire less than an hour away from Liverpool. :+1::nerd_face:

2 Likes

I havenā€™t been up to Liverpool in a couple of years now; Iā€™ll definitely head up once restrictions are eased.

3 Likes

I just got a quick question, when you born and bread Mersysiders moved away from your places due to work or other reasons etc. Did ever think you would return to your home town later on in life?

My auntie (who was born in the late 1940s) said Liverpool has changed alot, with investments in the city, offices from down south have moved up north. I noticed the skyline has changed since I was a little girl.

2 Likes

Hi Mariaā€¦ Canā€™t speak for everyone but for four decades, I have travelled and lived throughout the UK. Lived in some of the most beautiful places you can imagine. From Cornwall, Devon, Somerset, Sussex, Surrey, North, South, East and West Yorkshireā€¦ from the Dales through to cobbled streets and Hovis Country in Lancashire. Many places throughout Northern Ireland to my present homebase since 2015, in the Highlands of Scotland (10mins from Chanonry Point to any Dolphin lovers out there)ā€¦
Never lost nor tried to disguise my accent, made many friends from what/who were at first, suspicious and wary of anything Scouse or Liverpudlian. They had never visited the City most of these doubters, so based purely on bad reputation the likes Derek Hatton etc portrayed us.
Football has always been important to me since a very early age. From the ā€˜mind ya car for ya misterā€™ Saturday afternoons for a threepenny bit, until at the age of seven years old when my dad, secured me and him regular home tickets, in the Kemlyn Road Stand from Lily White, at the Liverpool Supporters Clubā€¦ Went onto standing in the Kop at 12yrs old with my mates rather than sit with the stiffs in the stand any longer (sorry Dad, but that was the real reason)ā€¦! Anyways, my passion for LFC still remains as passionate today, as it did when my mum first wrapped a red and white hooped scarf around my neck to keep out the cold on the way to my first ever game.
Anyway Maria, kept my ā€˜realā€™ home in Liverpool and visit as much as is practical. It has changed a lot over the recent decades, and even back in the 60ā€™s and 70ā€™s when they ripped the heart out by knocking down the City Centre housing, to the likes of Scotland Road, Brunswick Road, Heyworth Street and lots and lots of other areas, and moving the people to the outskirtsā€¦ The City and its people have always remained as good natured, funny and direct as they always haveā€¦
That is the bottom line Mariaā€¦ It is the people that make the City what it is, and what it will always remainā€¦

7 Likes

This is so true. I remember visiting as a child and then I went back in 2010. It has changed so much, the city centre and the docks and the skyline. My Auntieā€™s kids used to call one of the cathedrals the Wigan.

The people are still the same, very big hearted, warm, funny, friendly and welcoming. The people bring you back again and again.

I got my Merseyside A to Z book so all those roads you mentioned, I will look up in my book.

2 Likes

I think you mean the Catholic Cathedral @Maria. It is nicknamed ā€œPaddyā€™s Wigwamā€ due to its distinctive shape. :nerd_face:

4 Likes

Yes, yes. Very unusual design

1 Like

Hi Mariaā€¦ just a small snippet you may not know about regarding the Cathedral/sā€¦ for as the song ā€œIn My Liverpool Homeā€ mentions in one of the lines
:notes: if you want a Cathedral weā€™ve got one to spare :notes:
The Anglican Cathedral is a magnificent structure of that there is no doubtā€¦ when the completion date was getting near, and not to be outdone, the religious opposition shall we say, decided to build the Metropolitan Cathedral, basically, to have it completed and opened firstā€¦!!!
The Anglican Cathedral took 75yrs to complete, built from red quarried sandstone with carvings that would leave you speechless.
The Metropolitan (Paddyā€™s Wigwam) Cathedral only took 5yrs. Probably due to the corrugated panels and DIY materials bought over the counter in the frenzy to get it finished.
But boy oh boyā€¦ the quality and prestige of one, in comparison to the otherā€¦!!
Anyway, I digressā€¦
The site for the Anglican Cathedral was specifically chosen because of the particular type of sandstone required for such a high and weight bearing structure. That material specification could only be found in the Liverpool quarry.
That quarry Maria, and what remains of it today can be found in Woolton, Liverpool 25.
It is the same quarry where ā€˜Aunt Mimiā€™ house was built, and the one John Lennon took the name from when he formed ā€˜The Quarrymenā€™ā€¦!
That is why, if you ever visit Woolton Village and the surrounding areas, not only are the roads, slopes and hills forever undulatingā€¦ but it is also why there is so much red sandstone on view in the housebuilding, boundary walls etcā€¦ Most if not all was built upon the quarry
Take a look at the gateposts for Strawberry Fieldsā€¦
exact same red sandstone the Cathedral was built from.!
Anyway, just thought the above might be of interest to ya :0)

5 Likes

Thank you soo much! :pray: :heart:
You given me an aspiration to explore all these places.

What is Woolton Village like to live?

I remember when I was little, my uncle droves around places like Penny Lane and my auntie was young teenager in the late 1950s, she remembers The Quarrymen playing in the Cavern. She says that she met John Lenton and he was very funny. I sense in those days, everyone knows everyone over there.

2 Likes

They say Liverpool is like a village itselfā€¦
everyone will know someone that knows someone, if that makes sense.!!
Woolton Village and surrounding area is great Mariaā€¦
Head from village toward Black Woods / Menlove Avenue / Calderstone Park direction would be my preference. Then head to Green Lane onto Allerton Road for numerous bistroā€™s, cafes restaurantsā€¦!

3 Likes

I always liked good cafes with good coffee and especially those that opens late into the night as I always love a good coffee when I chill in relatively quiet cafes by myself. I only visited Liverpool twice and I quite liked the LEAF at Bold Street that opens till midnight on weekends but it was quite busy. Any recommendations for good cafes that open late into the night, relatively quiet? I usually drive when I am in Liverpool so I do not mind driving out abit out of the main part of the city. Of course I do not know when the hell the next time I can be back there but its good to indulge in abit of google travels.

3 Likes

Well GB you hit the nail on the head there mentioning restricted travelā€¦ With this dreaded Covid, it is anyoneā€™s guess which small business in the hospitality spectrum will survive the lack of trade coming through their doors at the momentā€¦
Might be best to re-visit the landscape nearer the time of your arrival to check for opening time restrictions that may come into the domain post pandemicā€¦ The 24hr hub tends to be more in City Centre though, rather than the suburbs because of licensing laws, but hey ho, who knows what changes await us when or if things ever get back to normal eh

4 Likes
2 Likes

Is there any bridge to go from left to right side or do they use ferries?

Yes, there are two tunnel crossings up by Birkenhead (the top of the gap).

Thereā€™s also a train line by the southernmost tunnel (Queensway).

1 Like

What a fantastic scoop.
Liverpool hosting the World Gymnastics Championship in Oct-Nov 2022.

I am definitely want to see this, if i feasible.

1 Like

Hopefully COVID will be well contained by that time. :pray:

Gymnastics is so awesome, specially the floor routines. :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

Gymnastics is so awesome, specially the floor routines. :heart_eyes:
[/quote]
There may be gymnastic routines going on all over town shortlyā€¦
If LFC win No.7 there will be loads of ecstatic fans doing somersaults! :0)

2 Likes

Pfft! IF! Little Faith.

its WHEN LFC win No. 7.

4 Likes

Hi all,

Hope you donā€™t mind me jumping in on this thread.

I invest in property and have long wanted to buy a property in Liverpool.

The plan would be to stay there when I visit but also to look at something like an Airbnb.

Ideally Iā€™d want it to be close to city centre, close to Anfield.

Can anybody recommend any areas where I should be looking, and perhaps just as important any areas that I should be looking to avoid.

Does anybody do anything similar and if so any tips for me?

1 Like