The Liverpool Guide Thread

The price range you have in mind will probably determine the areas available to you… Not sure you would want Airbnb in a congested area as too many locals would know when it was empty…!!!
Properties at auction normally go way beyond reserve price… but if you google past selling prices it should offer some better insight. The agents are named pre sale so you could drop an e-mail to some of them and ask for further advice…
Lots of others having the same idea as you though…! But good luck anyway

1 Like

Mmm that’s the problem with Airbnb. I think the idea of it sounds better than the reality.

1 Like

Guys maybe some locals can help me out with this…

I am a STH and usually do aprox 10 games per season (kids and work commitments).

Everytime I’ve been I usually drive the 7hr round trip from South Wales but next season I am gonna slow things down a bit. Get a hotel and stay the night.

Maybe if I tell you what I am after, you can make some recommendations. I don’t mind City centre or maybe a quieter suburb - but what ever.

This is what I plan…

Pre kick off… we will be having a few pints around the Anfield area, so no problems there.

After the game though I want some bars with good atmosphere (busy but not rammed where you are queueing for 20 mins for a pint) and ideally a bar with a bit of background music but not to the extreme where you can’t hear your mate speaking to you when he is stood next to you. Sport on in the back ground is an added bonus.

Finally the night will be rounded off with a top class Indian (or steak) and back to the hotel or nearby bar for a few night caps before bed.

Do I go city centre (where I am guessing there is a mix of everything (please suggest bars) or is there a particular suburb which is recommended).

Looking forward to your responses

1 Like

Also looking to take a break in or around the Liverpool area.

Can anybody make a recommendation for a family of 4, the 2 children and 5 and 3.

1 Like

Here is a nice hidden gem in The Wirral.

3 Likes

I live in Liverpool and didn’t even know about that walk. I’ll definitely give it a visit.

2 Likes

I’m on The Wirral and didn’t know about it. Mrs CDO and myself will have to go and find it. There are some many hidden gems in Liverpool and on The Wirral. If I had a huge fortune there’s no place that I’d rather live than here. :+1::nerd_face:

2 Likes

An interesting article detailing how the various districts of Liverpool came by their names.

I was particularly taken with the origin of the name “Everton”:

Everton comes from a word meaning either “pig enclosure” or “Eofor’s enclosure”, from the Old English word “eofor” for a domestic pig or the first name “Eofor”.

I always thought that the blueshite were pigs, and goodison a pigsty; now it’s official! :thinking:

8 Likes

Guys had a look at a few hotels. All premier inns. Can somebody let me know what the area is like? Decent or rough and also if there are a few bars / curry houses etc.

West Derby
Roby
Liverpool North (aintree)
Rainhill

Also transport into Anfield

If you need to be close to Anfield, the West Derby Premier Inn is the nearest. It’s situated next to a major junction though, directly opposite the Jolly Miller pub. It’s a short taxi journey to Anfield, probably about 2 miles. Also 2-3 miles to the city centre. West Derby village is about a ten minute walk away, there’s a couple of pubs there also. Not sure about the restaurant situation.
Roby and Aintree are a bit further out and I wouldn’t bother with the pubs there anyway. Rainhill has pubs and restaurants but it’s out towards St Helens. I think it depends how near you want to be to the City centre. There are a couple of Premier Inns in the City centre also.

Thanks Pal.

I am mid 30s but my father in law is late 60s so think his dancing days are behind him.

Happy with good bars instead of clubs with stupidly loud music etc.

Looking for bars with good atmosphere etc. Ideally no scallys etc.

We’ve looked at Aintree but are you saying West Derby is better?

The Aintree Premier Inn doesn’t have any pubs within walking distance, although you could take a taxi to Maghull, which is just a couple of miles up the A58. I’d rule out Roby and Rainhill though.

If you do stay at the West Derby Premier, which is on Queens Drive (Ring Road) don’t go to the pubs on West Derby Road, they’re all shitholes. You’re better off going to the Jolly Miller directly opposite or walking down Mill Lane into West Derby village.

Is west Derby village decent?

Seriously are we just better off going city centre?

The Village is alright. The best area out of the four, probably is Rainhill but it’s a lot further away.

Personally, if I was visiting the city, I’d stay in the centre. You’ve got everything you need there, restaurants and plenty of ordinary pubs.

2 Likes

Appreciate the insight

@richieh_10

Have you checked out…
Childwall Abbey Hotel
Good area, Good pub, Easy to access all you need :+1:

1 Like

Where abouts is it?

From Rainhill and West Derby is it a taxi journey in or are there buses/train?