The Manchester United Thread: That's It. That's the Joke (Part 1)

I felt bitterly disappointed that such a dangerous player is going to one of our biggest rivals… and then I remembered that they still have OGS as their manager and all was good again.

2 Likes

There are too many good players in the world to get annoyed when one of our rivals gets one. We can’t sign all of them.

They are still managed by Ole and they are still a mess off the pitch.

3 Likes

Not even Solskjaer can mess up a player like Sancho. That said, his attacking players have largely delivered so far, it’s their midfield that needs to up its game. Pogba conveniently played like a world beater in 2021 for both club and country, he was pretty poor before that considering his immense ability. I think they’ll go all in for Rice now, he’s the kind of shield that their centre backs need.

2 Likes

We know what Solskjaer will do. He’ll send out his attackers with the freedom to do what they want and express themselves. They’ll do well and score plenty.

He’ll continue to mess up his defence and midfield. The team will remain unbalanced, naive and underperforming.

1 Like

It’s not, his wage demands have gone up nearly double in the year. So what they have saved from not meeting his fee last summer they’ve over paid in wages.

£350k a week is just insane, it would break our wage structure.

The above is why we are in a bit of a bind at the moment, we are trying to renew contracts for most of our elite players - Salah, Mane, Firmino, Van Dijk, Fabinho, Alisson… If they find out we are paying a 21 year old (not guaranteed starter) £350k a week all hell breaks lose and we probably destroy the team unity Klopp has spent an age building.

The same is for Camavinga, he wants £200k a week… That’s more than any of our current midfielders, he’s 18… Again it’s just not the level of wage spending we will committ to. So players will have to lower demands to come here which won’t happen in most cases. Klopp is brilliant, but for most players he’s not £100k a week less brilliant.

2 Likes

This is what I hope for! I’ve said it before but my opinion of their midfield hasn’t changed: no matter how good Pogba might be when he can be arsed, I think that a more pragmatic coach would sell him and get the equivalent of Fabinho and Wijnaldum/Henderson to strengthen their spine and provide the basis for their front four and fullbacks. Maybe Fred needs Fabinho to become their Wijnaldum, who knows, but I really hope they don’t strengthen their midfield.

Sancho will get that much at Man United? If that really is the case, I imagine Fernandes will want parity with that as De Gea, Pogba and Rashford are probably there or thereabouts, depending on various performance-related clauses. Maguire might as well be looking for a raise given how their defence fell apart without him.

2 Likes

On one hand it’s very annoying, they’re getting a young and potentially game changing talent.

On the other hand those numbers, like many other deals, are the reason why the “Oh we need to do the Super League or we’ll go under. Football is in danger” etc. said by any club - top clubs in particular - is the most ridiculous excuse ever.

Surely you try and keep Pogba and get in a partner more adapted to what they have.
That ‘active’ DM player (like Kanté or Fabhino) really is a bugger to find from what I can gather and is holding a number of clubs back.
Camavinga is the sort of player many clubs need (still a big risk at his age mind).

1 Like

Yes thats the wage he’s getting, parity with De Gea. He’ll be their 2nd highest earner… And yes I expect a fair few will want theirs to match, which when they paid De Gea his new rate caused all the problems with Pogba etc.

Sancho is a great talent, money aisde he really is a fantastic player… I hope the negative impact of his wages causes more damage than the increased potency to his attack he’ll bring.

1 Like

Varane next at United. Ive always thought he looked utter shite.

1 Like

That’s the thing about Klopp. If wanting more money, guaranteed CL, etc are a players primary motivation, he doesn’t want them.

That isn’t just a point of principle, it’s fundamental to his team building ethos. Players have to have the right motivation and be willing to buy into hard work, collectivity etc.

1 Like

Still, getting a young player with very high ceiling for under €100m is a very good deal for United. And don’t talk about wages when they are still paying…Mata :rofl:

1 Like

I think the issue for the club with Pogba was two fold. No-one else was willing to pay the sort of money Utd were wanting for him, secondly they were concerned that he was the ‘star’ of the team and that were he to go before they got back into the CL attracting the players they wanted would become more difficult. Finishing second has changed the dynamic somewhat so I think he is less important to them now on a non playing basis.

Just seen that Martial (reportedly) is on £250kpw - wowsers. I assume he’s off soon.

Cavani on 210kpw, De Gea 350kpw (no wonder he’s still there), Pogba 390kpw, and the list goes on

Surprisingly, McTominay is only on 20kpw. How does he get comfort at night knowing his colleagues are earning 10x a week what he earns, when arguably he’s the most important CM…

Also, have to hand it to the Glazers - like when a marriage is on the ropes, and you go spend money on holidays and extravagant things to paper over those cracks. Not seen a single tweet or post slagging off the Glazers this last day or two since Sancho’s deal was announced.

As for Sancho on 350kpw - that’s all hearsay - suspect he’ll be on at least 100k less.

Just keep OGS at that wheel!

1 Like

Theyve paid Pogba millions over the last 5 years in the hope that he will come good.
Then you get the “well he needs someone next to him to see the best of him” Theyve done that and he still dont turn up for most of the games.
Id get rid.

1 Like

I think it was his first game for them (second spell) when he played an immaculate chipped pass into the box for a goal. I remember thinking “shit……” Fortunately he’s done the square root of bugger all since. All the talent in the world but fortunately his hair and boots are FAR more important. You can never get away from the most important muscle in the human body being the one between the ears.

4 Likes

His celebrations in the last 16 tie against the Swiss sum him up perfectly;

• Average through most of the game - even though he’s switched to French mode, where he’s significantly better
  • scores a screamer and stands there celebrating like he’s the man
  • lazy as fuck in CM, his team concede two goals and it goes to ET
  • scores a penalty and then spends ages smiling, laughing and celebrating himself scoring it.
  • France go out
  • Pogba still believes he’s the main man
  • His scumbag agent will be making some kind of statement soon enough
  • Pogba either stays at United and has another season of excuses, probably with a new contract from United - or goes back to Juve again…
5 Likes

It’s not, thats what his salary will be or there abouts. He isn’t going to Utd because he loves them, he’s going because they are overpaying massively for him.

And as Mascot says we would walk away if he demanded that from us. I’d think we could have afforded him at £72.5mil + £10mil addons fee wise tbh.

I had a quick scour online last night, and the 350k goes to some unknown twitter/social media account, hence I reckon it’s BS. It might not be, truth be told I hope they’re paying him more than that.

And yeah, walking from Sancho a no brainer for us. We did it for Werner too. and will continue to do it.

Best thing will be when Mbappe arrives on a free for 250kpw next summer!

I can actually see it happening, the transfer fee saving we’d bump as a signing on fee to spread over his contract which would keep his actual wage within our structure but he’d still be earning £400k a week or so.

Really depends if we have a good CL run and are competing for the title, another poor season he’ll go to Real/City.

2 Likes