The Manchester United Thread: That's It. That's the Joke (Part 1)

Slaphead and slabhead are different. Although playing with Slabhead and Shaw can make Varane a slaphead :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

That’s why they went full throttle and won the new club world cup in Orlando. :clap:

4 Likes

Utd’s income is quite significant though, it would take a big fall in that before it becomes an issue, and them having qualified for the CL this year probably minimises that risk for a couple of years.

Yes, but Old Trafford is so close to being deemed unsafe! A lot of money will need spending there before long.

They are collecting a lot of players on huges wages, but yes CL has given them a small stay of execution.

I don’t think that will ever happen until a disaster strikes and even then it will be blamed on us somehow.
Out of interest who is responsible for deeming a stadium ‘unfit’ for purpose? (or dangerous if that’s better?).

I think this latest round of the Glazers splashing the cash, is their way of trying to placate the fans after the mini riot at Old Trafford, a few months ago. Spending £200 million, should keep them quiet for a while.

Why? They’ve regularly spent a lot of money. They have spent over a billion quid on transfers the past decade, the overwhelming majority of it being a net spend. If you take Utd out of the equation, in that period City have net spent over twice what the clubs challenging them for honours have spent. If you add Utd back in you can throw a blanket over them and City.

Their issue has never ben expenditure, it has been competency. Their behind the scenes people have now been almost entirely turned over and so we shouldn’t assume they will continue with the same level of transfer ineptitude that as plagued them for the last 7-8 years.

7 Likes

Isn’t that the Glazers’ M.O? They have literally spent big every year for the last 10 years. I always has a laugh to myself when I see fans complaining about the Glazers taking from the club and destroying the squad when they are just shy of City in net spend and almost certainly, right now, are miles ahead of everyone else in wages.

1 Like

I don’t think it matters too much. Interest rates are super low at the moment, so their interest bill is only around £20m a year, they can afford to borrow more.

The real danger is that Ole would likely leave the club in a much better state to attract a much better manager when he’s fired. For that to not happen , they need to finish below us but still in the top 4 and probably win a meaningless cup. Finishing worse than 4th would likely mean that Ole getting fired calls getting louder.

Manchester United are making quality deals and are attracting players with wages that LFC won’t be able to offer. That’s the truth.

3 Likes

Utd have underperformed in recent season in large part because their players have not been good enough. They have been poor in the backroom meaning they have chased expensive players who didn’t want to play for them, and then, because they’re Utd, made to pay for lesser players they turned to. They spent a CL winning some of money of Europa League caliber players.

They cannot keep bringing in actually good players and continue to suffer from the issues of their recent past. Sancho and Varane are different sorts of signings. I’d argue that even Cavani last season was a break from the recent past. Fernandes while a bit overrated in my opinion and not easy to fit into a coherent side, is another with more quality than they’ve been able to bring in recently. They cannot keep hitting the mark with their signings and continue to be mediocre. At this point, they are not too many more signings of this caliber away from being a formidable team again. I think they are still a long way from winning a title, because of depth and ole, but they are getting closer to being good enough to make life difficult for the other top teams.

4 Likes

It could though.

There are a number of Man Utd players who look a shadow of what they should be.

I do wonder what they are going to do about their goalkeeper.

2 Likes

I also think their squad is getting worryingly close to actually being very good. A bit more work needed at DM and GK, but they’re getting there.

However, on the backroom front, it looks as though they’re going to appoint another money guy (Richard Arnold (executive) - Wikipedia) to replace Woodward, rather than a football guy. So every reason to hope that they’re going to replace a Woodward who took a decade to get his shit together with the early shit version of him.

3 Likes

They’ve already installed 2 new people to oversee the football side. Arnold will be taking over a far more limited role than the one Woodward was doing.

1 Like

Do we know who they are yet?

Yes, they’ve been announced and have been in place since before the end of last season, I just don’t remember who they are. From what I remember, it’s two people leading the football side of what Woodward had been doing, with woodward’s direct replacement focusing purely on the business side of the club.

1 Like

Is it this guy and Darren Fletcher?

If it’s them, have to say I’m still not especially worried they’re bringing it together behind the scenes.

1 Like

Are we talking about the same Woodward here? cos the beauty of the one i knew of at United didn’t know shit from clay,let alone getting it together when it came to footballing decisions.Apart from money making,the only good thing he’s ever done for United was leave,and boy has that fucked me right off.

I think their transfers have been getting noticeably better of late (though the wages they’re offering are still insane), so I think he has started to show he’s growing into the role. If that’s the case then I’ll happily see him leave for new people totally inexperienced in the role.

1 Like

Yeah,hopefully he’s replaced himself with a couple of even bigger clowns to make himself look good.

1 Like