The Manchester United Thread: That's It. That's the Joke (Part 1)

Not his best year, some difficult moments, but he’s still a CB of the highest calibre.

4 Likes

I’ve never seen the big deal with him.
Always thought he looked average.

If Edwards signed Varane and Sancho for those amounts, we’d be singing him praises left and right. A couple of quality additions, I’m afraid. That said, what bothers me the most about their team is what they do with Pogba - if they sell him and buy a proper central/defensive midfielder, their side would look miles better. He’s a quality player but I don’t think he can be bothered at Man United every week. Someone like Rice definitely could.

7 Likes

They’re going to be shit.

2 Likes

I’m with you on the first bit. on the second, not so much. I think Pogba is slowly turning into an influential player for United. Mentally I think he may be a bit behind compared to his playing attributes, but what I saw of him last year towards the end of the season showed he is coming around. United still finished above 17 other clubs in the PL aside from us. They’re not really to be mocked at this point.

1 Like

A lot of Utd’s best performances came with the McFred combo in midfield. That makes it difficult to also play both Pogba and Fernandes, but even if you do it still leaves you a bit light in players who are going to organize the attacks.

The thought is that this year Ole is going to try to address that by picking between McTominay and Fred, but I’m not convinced that either is good enough to shield a defense by himself without the other one. Adding someone as accomplished as Varane may enable that. The issue is they still lack that midfield controller. They have lots of players who want to score, but not many who want to set the table.

1 Like

I think they sell him and go for Saul.

Pogba always picks up his form towards the end of the season, and usually after a couple of goals Raiola comes out of his hole and starts spouting shite. I honestly don’t believe he has the ability to do a full season with all his focus on the football. He does have something about him when it comes to France.

Varane is a classic United signing. About twenty million too much and four years late.

If Edwards had signed Varane for £42m at this stage of his career, I’d be concerned he’d been replaced by an imposter.

Sancho should be a good signing though.

2 Likes

Varane is only 28. Not a bad age for a CB with his experience to be honest.

1 Like

Ole Gob Shite, contract extension or not, will have one eye on the timeline he has already had his arse in the hot seat at Old Toilet… To me, the signing smacks of a desperation to get some silverware over the line ASAP…

Varane is a good defender but I am expecting him to miss many games with his injury problems.

1 Like

Doubtful, Sancho is in £250k basic, Varane apparently over £300k… huge house of cards there with wages.

I know it’s United and we aren’t supposed to give them any positivity at all but for me Sancho and Varane are brilliant signings.

If we had signed them for 100million I, and I would imagine the great majority of people on here would be loving it.

Sorry but for me they are very good signings

3 Likes

But it’s not just about the transfer fees, is it?

Look at the wages.

2 Likes

Ye I agree but to be fair when you pay money like that the wages are always going to be high.

Both players realise Uniteds desperation too.

Perfect storm for the player

The red mancs have a fantastic summer of new signings to be fair, at least on paper. Fees and wages are eye-watering though, but when you are flush, why not spend all of it I suppose…

In any case, I’m not sure that Everton will retain their crown of last year’s summer transfer winners. It could be the red mancs’ turn this time!

1 Like

My tuppence worth is that from what is said Sancho is a good punt for any top team.
I highly question Varane to partner Slaphead, who’s going to cover who?
On paper it should be Varane covering Slaphead but what we saw with France during the Euros is Varane making loads of errors which for a short while he managed to get away with but eventually it all fell apart. I can not see Varane holding his own let alone covering for Slaphead which means Slaphead will have to cover Varane and he just isn’t that type of player. As with England we saw the cover come from Walker and Rice (as well as Shaw’s fat bum). Don’t get me wrong Varane has shown he is capable on the ball in the past though looked awkward with France (slow to position and get his passes off) he’ll have to buck his ideas up to help Manure.
For me a mixed bag for Manure and I still ask did they need an attacker?
I mean wouldn’t they have been better to just throw everything at a decent CB?

I think theyll look to get rid of Martial.

100%, 4 year contract on huge wages (I’ve ready £300k basic + bonus’) for Varane who has shown signs of a decline physically in the Spanish league already…