The Manchester United Thread: That's It. That's the Joke (Part 1)

I haven’t got that far yet.

Still pissing myself laughing at United being first.

7 Likes

So what, Shaw is always hungry.

6 Likes

Have they signed Varane yet??? But would barely make one, they aren’t signing Nat, are they???

1 Like

Easy to be the best tackler in the league when your second touch is always one.

11 Likes

The Dirk Kuyt effect…

1 Like

Anytime a club makes a boatload of signings everyone rushes to make them the following season’s overachievers. Not a chance will Villa finish 6th.

5 Likes

The English Brett Holman

Goldbridge has them 3rd with us 4th.

I’m awaiting the BBC pundits one they do every year. I’m happy not to be tipped by many, we will get a couple we always do, I think Hartson seems to tip us for no reason most seasons.

1 Like

let them go for the Manchester clubs and Chelsea, I like flying under the radar. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

I haven’t seen on that has us in the top 4 yet.

Guardian has us 4th.

It’s weird how after a perfect storm of bad issues that together resulted in a near-catastrophic season for us… when we still finished 3rd… most people are predicting us to somehow get worse this season.

6 Likes

Yeah, but Chelsea have nearly signed 1 player.

5 Likes

And lets not forget both Utd and Shitty strengthening in areas they had no need to strengthen

2 Likes

I’m loving it. It’s like they don’t watch football. What happened to us last season was a complete aberration.

5 Likes

It doesn’t matter. This happens every season regardless of fans or pundits - people see the outlay in the transfer market and base their predictions on that. We’re going to catch a whole lot of people by surprise.

1 Like

So typical. If these experts are to be believed, City would have won the CL atleast 4 times by now, because they are always the favourites according to them. Not one pundit or media house would have balls to say City might not be the favorites for the CL.

Same is the case here. Signings = success. A logic believed to be true by majority, so why risk saying something different and dig your own grave.

3 Likes

Let’s face it half our team was missing and it wasn’t “time for excuses”, Maguire gets injured for Man Utd and it was roll out the barrel full of them.

Couldn’t care less, there was an article on ESPN last season about Man Utd that basically laid bare what they actually where and to me any signing they make is a wait a see.

Whatever these players have done previously it’s going be different at Man Utd it always seems to be.

Too many go there and regress or don’t reach potential. Shaw’s best matches are in an England shirt, Pogba hasn’t had a good one for four years between international tournaments (or so it felt like). De Gea and Henderson have some serious issues in goal.

Maguire at Leicester was better than the one at Man Utd and the only player who went there and did seemingly do the business in Fernandes seemingly went off the boil and carried that into a dreadful Euros, Jota may have missed a hatful but before he stopped getting played Fernandes wasn’t even in the games.

Sancho is an excellent player at Dortmund but let’s see. Varane is an excellent defender but let’s give it a few weeks with Ole and the team.

The latter will probably do what Bailey did and get injured (another that was supposed to be the next worlds greatest defender).

Not to mention we didn’t bother putting a performance in for 3 months and still finished only 5 or so points behind them.

3 Likes

We don’t have to pretend that they’ve not signed some top players and top talents.

They’re entering this season in pretty good mood and with more tools than last season.

No reason to panic, no reason to dismiss them either. They already finished second once under Mourinho and when it looked like they’ll make the next step, they didn’t.

Now all talk is rubbish until we see it on the pitch. Let’s see if they can add more layers to their game. They needed a new partner for Maguire and they needed more of a threat/balanace off the right side.

3 Likes

Narrative rules when it comes to pre-season predictions at media outlets. It’s boring to talk about stability, injury recovery and full pre-seasons for previously burnt out players.

Much more fun and interesting to talk about the new signing and imagine the “new level” the team will go to with them (which almost never happens).

If we start like a train against Norwich on Saturday suddenly they’ll remember that we have been a dominant team in England and Europe for three years.

5 Likes