The Manchester United Thread: That's It. That's the Joke (Part 1)

GOAT is a matter of perspective. Respectfully, I throw the name Joel into the mix.

3 Likes

The problem I have with the GOAT thing is there are so many necessary skillsets in football, how do you even make the comparison?

I think Ronnie O’Sullivan is the greatest ever snooker player. Others say Stephen Hendry. We can have that debate because they are directly comparable.

But who is better? Buffon or Iniesta? Messi or Van Dijk?

2 Likes

If you seriously think Ronaldo is the best ever footballer then I don’t know what to say except you clearly have a lot to learn. It’s not baseball or cricket where you can just look at a couple of simple stats to evaluate players.

Forwards and goal scorers get more recognition than other players who contribute so much more that goes unnoticed.

Also many players stay at clubs due to loyalty or other reasons where their chances of winning or adding those stats diminishes a lot. Gerrard would have had to go to Chelsea to get the recognition considering the time period he was at Liverpool. We as fans wouldn’t appreciate that as well.

Listening to the media and Utd fans the trophies are going to be arriving this season, it would be funny if they ended up trophyless again this season.

2 Likes

My hope is that in the relatively near future we’ll be able to invert metrics like expected threat for defenders in order to quantify how much of a negative (if you take my meaning) impact they have on the game (i.e., we can say that a great forward was worth x goals per game over his career, but how many goals per game suppressed is van Dijk worth?)

Ok - the stats suggest he is. The popular opinion amongst virtually everybody involved in football is that it’s either him or Messi who is the greatest now.

I’m curious as to why you think he, and Messi, because you can’t really mention the one without the other, are not the greatest, or at least in that conversation.

It would be. But I honestly think there’s too much writing off other teams or players goes on in here.

Ronaldo may not be peak Ronaldo, but he will bring more to the team than ‘only’ 15-20 goals.

Putting in him and Varane suddenly elevates the likes of Pogba to suddenly start being arsed. The improved form of Shaw and a few decent young players in Sancho and Greenwood and suddenly the team looks a whole lot better. Win a few games and get a bit of belief and anything can happen.

I’m not saying they will win anything, but someone has to and I think ourselves, City, Chelsea and United are all capable of competing this year.

2 Likes

Read what I wrote: Messi is plausible in conversation for GOAT, Ronaldo is not. Far too one dimensional and a stats flat track bully. Football existed before him you know? I understand your interest and knowledge of football doesn’t go back very far (we all have to start somewhere) but your claim that these two are inseparable is laughable - Messi is on an entirely different level talent wise and is a worthy contender for GOAT (hence plausible!). Ronaldo isn’t even best player of his era - though he would probably get into a Man Utd all time best XI. Not quite sure why you are continuing this Ronaldo line on this forum (…)

(post edited by a mod: no personal insults please! Tackle the ball, not the man.)

The reason we’re writing Utd off (or at least I am ) is for one simple reason.

We have Klopp. City have Guardiola. Chelsea have Tuchel. And … Utd have Ole Gunnar Solskjaer.

They might sneak a domestic cup (or the Europa) , but they ain’t winning the Prem or CL with him in charge , regardless of the quality of their squad.

4 Likes

I just like to think of myself as mature enough appreciate a world class player such as Ronaldo, regardless of what club he plays for.

And to be fair the majority of people on here can accept that without saying “go and support United”

2 Likes

Looks like some remnants of the Ronnie wankfest shot it’s way over into this thread.

1 Like

I’ll take Ronaldo over Messi every day of the week and twice on Sunday’s although to me Maradona is the GOAT. Do yo want me to move over to the Red Cafe too?

Btw, I have watched the fog match against Ajax in 66 so I think I can say I have seen 90% of the greats play in my lifetime.

1 Like

It’s difficult to pick one over the other but fuck me, they are both class

1 Like

I think he deserves to be in that bracket of players at the top where we can all debate one against the other. I personally wouldn’t put him at the top but it’s fair that he’s at the top table. if was on work ethic etc. he’d probably on top. Raw talent? Not a chance, not with the likes of Best, Maradonna, Pele, Ronaldo (brazillian version), and Ronaldinho in there as well. There’s also a shout for players like Puscas, Beckenbauer, Charles maybe as well.

Who is Charles?

Puyol.

1 Like

John Charles - bit of a dude and Welsh so I had to include him. :slightly_smiling_face:

Played for Swansea, Leeds and then Juventus (late 1950’s) and was very successful there. One of a handful of UK born players to actually do well for a sustained period abroad. He was able to play as a central defender and a striker. Never booked or sent off.

To be fair probably not as talented as the others but there was still something about him I think. Unsuprisngly he could hold a tune as well.

1 Like

Charles ‘Charlie’ Charles, one of the famous Charles brothers :wink:

3 Likes

Heathens everywhere

1 Like