The Manchester United Thread: That's It. That's the Joke (Part 1)

The Guardian seems to be more than willing to abstain from the circle-jerk.

Good for them.

2 Likes

Like how strong the delusion goes that the United fans talk up winning the league when all they’ve faced are Leeds , Southampton , Wolves & Newcastle at the league.

None of the 4 would finish in the top 15 right now and Leeds excepting, United exactly didn’t cruise through to comfortable wins in any of those matches.

5 Likes

My united supporting mate is of the opinion that Ole is a better coach than Conte and they don’t want or need someone as good as the Italian there when they have Ole. :man_facepalming: Long may this delusion continue.

6 Likes

And even at that point, I’d want to note that Leeds didn’t have Philipps against Man Utd, so Man Utd’s relatively weak midfield didn’t have much resistance.

Still, bottom line is I want Ole to do well enough that they don’t get a better manager. I don’t want them to win the league or the CL, but I do want them to feel as though they are in with a chance, as it might keep Ole at the wheel for a while yet.

They have a lot of firepower and will steamroller a lot of teams. They can enjoy the ride all they like, but to my mind they won’t prevail at the sharp end of the biggest competitions.

3 Likes

Was he not the first British professional player to play abroad?

I think you do him a disservice saying “not as talented”. There are many kinds of talent. :nerd_face:

1 Like

Yes the FUCKING do.

This post was brought to you by Uncle Ben’s boil in the bag rice.

Available in all good stores.

:wink::nerd_face:

3 Likes

On the way to Basel in 2016. Train from Geneva to Bern. Then another train to Basel. Just outside Basel we went through a station without stopping (quite like going through Edge Hill on the way out of Limey). I nudged Mrs CDO and points at the station name ‘Wankdorf’. Not long after a ticket inspector comes along and asks if I’m of to the footy? I told him yes and he wished us good luck. Then a Swiss fella who was sitting diagonally opposite us says “excuse me? I noticed you laughing at the station name”. I was like “oh yeah” and started to explain about how in English it was a bit funny. But he stopped me ans explained that he was a Servette Geneva fan and when they played Young Boys they would chant about w4nk1ng off young boys. We ended up chatting to him for a bit and the journey flew by. :nerd_face:

5 Likes

Roy Hodgson carried on managing until he was 115. Ole’s got ages to go yet. Let’s hope he’s at Utd until he’s at least 80. :nerd_face:

10 Likes

I hope an immortality pill or at least a very long life one will be concocted soon.
Give it to this inept master of the perennially spinning wheel so that he can steer the Manure to perpetual mediocrity.

2 Likes

It would be I retesting but if United did go in the slide and sacked Ole by Christmas.

Who is there that would come in?

Conte and Zidane are the only available managers who they’d be interesting in i feel.

Other than that they’d be going to get somebody from a club.

Your Peps and Klopps are ruled out, so if they were getting somebody from the premier league it would be someone like Rodgers I reckon, but that won’t be good enough for them either.

Mess

1 Like

Plus that guy Moyes is doing pretty well, certainly a future appointment.

7 Likes

At the beginning of the season I expected this week to be their first test, kind of lucky they have got WHU after a Europa League game.

They should have 10pts from the first 4, in fact with Phillips missing you expect they should have 12.

1 Like

And no Antonio.

2 Likes

Go on Moysie give them a proper game.

2 Likes

De Gea was beginning to look like cooling dog poop when Henderson took the jersey from him, but he’s played a lot like his old self since getting back in the side.

2 Likes

True, but he’s due a clanger. There seems to be a narrative that he has played terribly consistently since 2018, which isn’t true. He’s just been much more prone to making errors.

3 Likes

True that, but solid since coming back. If he keeps playing like this, it might be tough for Ole to just put Henderson back in staring 11 when he’s fit.

1 Like

Moyes did his best to help him. Bringing on a player who’s barely completed his warm-up to take a decisive penalty with virtually last kick of the match… I’m livid here, I knew he would miss as soon as I saw him coming on. Ole or no Ole, this lot aren’t going away anytime soon, they have too much individual quality for that.

Their defence and midfield are several levels below ours.

8 Likes

They got lucky. AWB (aka best tackler in the league) lucky to not concede a penalty…

The other penalty shouts (except the handball) were debatable

1 Like