The Manchester United Thread: That's It. That's the Joke (Part 1)

100% replacing Cavani with Ronaldo is possibly one of the worst decisions I’ve seen. As you say its probably taken them backwards.

1 Like

in the comments…this is GOLD

2 Likes

Thought the discussion was pretty sensible up until he came out with that weird and blatantly untrue line.

100 mile flight and they got jet lag :rofl:

Quality excuse, at least be a bit plausible it’s no doubt Maguire was rushed back, something Klopp wouldn’t do.

1 Like

Maguire a world class defender?

I wonder if anyone has his dealers phone number?

I’m pretty sure it’s meant to be a joke

2 Likes

gotta be taking the piss…

shane dhanpat
@shane_Dhan

Oct 17

I am just concerned about the future of fellow human beings viz. Ole Gunnar Solsjkaer and Harry Maguire. Surely we, as humanitarians, need to show care and compassion. YNWA, Ole and Harry! Never Give Up!

2 Likes

To be honest you wouldn’t be able to tell with football fans nowadays

1 Like

Mate… it doesn’t mean that he performed a fraction of a press. It means the total number of pressing actions was divided by the number of 90s he’s completed, and there’s no reason for that to necessarily turn out to be a whole number. Let’s say he played two full games (180 minutes) and pressed 2 times and 3 times in those games, his per-90 pressing stat would be 2.5 (5 ÷ {180/90} ⇒ 5 ÷ 2).

NB: The actual numbers are now 17 pressing actions in 396 minutes played = 3.9 pressures per 90.

3 Likes

True story about Rashford - he’s actually shit. Far too streaky for my liking, has too many games where he’s absolutely fucking gash.

1 Like

Yeah, he’s not shit but his footballing IQ is on the floor. If he hasn’t got space to run in behind he doesn’t know what to do.

None of those 3 get in our side. Greenwood is the best and most talented but Mo says no.

1 Like

The morale within the Manchester United dressing room is at a new low after the defeat by Leicester City left Solskjaer’s side without a win from their last three league games. (Times - subscription required)

2 Likes

We can help them go lower!

5 Likes

Just to clarify, not saying any would start instead of our front three (at least not currently).

But I do think they are better players than what we are observing, with much higher ceilings. Mourinho/Solskjær are terrible managers for young attacking forwards to learn their trade. Sancho has gone from a player Edwards/Klopp were interested in signing, to a shadow of the player at United. Rashford does blow hot and cold. But you could apply that label to the entire United team.

We all accept Solskjær is a poor manager, that Mourinho has a track record of defensive football and wasting great talented youngsters (Salah, Kevin De Bruyne, Leonardo Bonucci). I would be willing to take a bet on any of those three I mentioned ( Rashford/Greenwood/Sancho). A gamble. Rashford is probably on the border of it being too late. But I think a player in that mould (18-22 year old) wide attaching forward with pace, it what we will see come in during the next window.

5 Likes

Yep, completely agree. If Rashford, Sancho and Greenwood were coached by Klopp and our coaches, they would be excellent. All the gifts are there. But at Man Utd it’s all less than the sum of its parts… and long may that continue.

I agree that Rashford has the biggest question mark, as the others benefit from additional youth, but I think with a manager who loved him, who knew how to get the best out of him, he would blow hot much more often.

Still, it’s their lookout that they buy aging stars to clog it up. It’s their lookout that the coaching is suspect, so what should be a title challenging squad will be fourth, at best.

1 Like

Greenwood would kill it playing for Klopp, I think he would have at least broken Fowler’s scoring record had he come through Liverpool’s academy during Klopp’s tenure. Klopp would have probably given him a central role, rather than one on the right. It’s been a while since I’ve seen a kid who’s such a natural finisher - Foden might be another one but I think he’ll go on to develop other aspects of the game that will make him unplayable, while Greenwood should be a centre forward, in my opinion, because he’s capable of scoring all kinds of goals from all kinds of positions and also play in his teammates.

3 Likes

At the very least we can all agree that Manure is proving Gestaltism one hilarious week at a time.

3 Likes

Well those stats are fucked up if both Mané and Salah are near the bottom. Both are probably the hardest defensively working forwards I’ve ever seen.

Not that Ronnie a million miles from anyone is unbelievable.

3 Likes

A bit odd, but maybe it’s because our pressing game is triggered by Firmino / Jota, whoever is playing centrally and the others fill the gaps behind and cut off passing routes etc. Trying to make some sense of the numbers.

Hardest working CF I remember was Rush. He could have worked really well in this Klopp side thinking about it. One for another thread.

7 Likes

Rush was before my time though I always wondered whether the forwards of old worked as hard as they do these days.

1 Like