The Manchester United Thread: That's It. That's the Joke (Part 1)

So in that thread I linked above, some young stud put his neck on the line and suggested exactly the same.

What’s the point of an empire if it falls apart the minute you leave, or something to that effect?

It’s going down well with the old timers…hehehehe

3 Likes

aah, the cult of whiskey nose

To be fair…I fully intend on worshipping JK when he’s gone…

But I’d bet both my bollocks he won’t be hanging around like a bad smell when he does pull up stumps.

3 Likes

classic film GIF by Warner Archive

1 Like

Or as we say Down Under, a genital and a scallop.

I have a post in there giving the hard truth of how shit united are. I pass myself off as a united fan though so I dont get banned.

4 Likes

Hahaha…top notch!

Gonna have a look for it!

I get the point, but as much as I love reveling in the fact he created the environment for his beloved team to fall of its perch, I think that excuse has expired. It’s actually been long enough now that even had he put in place the right infrastructure to succeed without him, it’s likely many to all of those people will have already moved on meaning the likes of Woodward and Joel G would have failed to adequately replace them.

Fergie left them in a bad way, but its the fault of everyone else that they’ve spent the 10 years since chasing their own tails

1 Like

The worst bit of management from Ole IMO is not refusing to play Sancho, VDB or Bailly, but giving Cavani so little game time.

He scored 17 in all comps last season with 6 assists in about 2000 minutes worth of time. But more than that, his movement, work rate and link up play is so much better than United’s other forwards.

He’s a brilliant team player, dare I say a Klopp player. Oh yeah, that’s why he doesn’t get a game.

15 Likes

I’m going beyond that. Buckling to Rooney’s ridiculous contract demands and insisting he (Ferguson) was always paid at least the amount of the highest paid player. He also oversaw a shocking lack of succession planning in the playing squad and left his successor a poisoned chalice of an overpaid aging ineffective talisman with a mediocre overpaid supporting cast.

1 Like

Fuck ye not about with me. Love it!

1 Like

Yeah, that’s fair. Even the Van Persie signing one was one that superficially looked like to worked out but in reality was a selfish one that put his own personal glory ahead of leaving the team in good stead. I genuinely dont think there was a manager in the world who could have inherited that side that moyes did, worked with Woodwood and kept that side in CL contention that first year. But it has been 10 years. they have had opportunity after opportunity to turn it around and just keep either refusing to or getting it wrong.

1 Like

But I think part of that is the legacy of the Rooney contract, then Van Persie signing, then Schweinsteiger, Mata, Pogba, Matic, Ibrahimovic, then Sanchez, and so on and so forth.

It has become incredibly difficult to break that cycle.

Reminds me of my old workplace. Toxic, ecliptic mix of people brought in because of reputation and skills (with no consideration of personality). I soon learnt that most important thing when hiring is personality/ethics. That’s the real difference between Liverpool and united.

United buy shiny new toys, they indulge the likes of Pogba and Ronaldo. In contrast we have targeted players that display humility, a hard work ethic, want to learn and improve. That’s why we are greater than the sum of our parts, and united are weaker.

2 Likes

Ole is expected to remain in charge, apparently (hurrah!) and took training at Carrington today. Sir Alex Ferguson was also in attendance at Carrington, but he wasn’t there to see Ole or the players? It really is a ridiculous state of affairs, he hangs around the place like a bad smell.

3 Likes

fixed it for you.

1 Like

I was saying a similar sort of thing. Ten Hag, with Overmars as DOF, and Van der Sar as CEO.

Get rid of bloated prima donnas. Admit the error. Reset. It will also require Woodward leaving as CEO, and because he is a money man, and not a football man, the Glazer’s might not like that.

But Ajax is the sort of template they need, and they could do it if the will is there.

However, I couldn’t agree more with your last statement. Two decades without the title is my guess.

Man U come a cross as a team that can be goaded into doing things they really shouldn’t if analyzed subjectively. I think agents love dealing with them, sort of like…

Yeah that’s a nice offer for Ron, buuuuut Man C has other benefits we are discussing, and although Ron loves Man U, I should ethically be advising my client to think with his head rather than his Kaching, sorry I mean heart.

Pogba would work well with RM’s marketing department, are you really in the position to challenge that well oiled marketing machine?

Yes I know it’s a lot of money for Jadon, transfer fee and signing bonus, my fees and salary, you are right I can’t argue with that logic. You know what that reminds me of? That time where City trolled you over the Tevez transfer! I can’t believe they did that just to annoy you. So I forget, where are we with Jadon, the guy that City lost?

Completely agree.

When he was there as a kid, if I have my facts straight, Ferguson would have kept him, but didn’t want to give him too much too soon. The player, a youngster, stood his ground and moved on for more money. Even at an early age he put that before the actual footy.

Can’t stand old bacon face, but as an old football man he was quite right on that one. Even if the youngster had talent, it was best to let him go if he is getting too big for his boots.

Fast forward a few years and they brought him back for 89M or some such amount. There are glimmers of a good player there, on occasion, but overall it has been a massive mistake.

1 Like

107 posts since the last time I bothered looking in, just haven’t the time to read all the tosh anymore, what between work and having all my teeth pulled out … :cry:

1 Like