The Manchester United Thread: That's It. That's the Joke (Part 1)

You’re involved in recruiting the next Utd manager?

(Hope you’re OK really)

Thanks, I’ve put it off far too long and am in fact glad I’m getting it done. I have hardly any jaw bone left so it’s not very painful. :cry:

2 Likes

Disagree. I think they should make him club captain…or maybe even player-manager :+1:

1 Like

When Fergie retired — I literally remember the day because I woke up and had a text from my (Spurs supporting) mate that said “what are we going to do now that Fergie is gone?” — I couldn’t believe it. Even so, I figured they might be slightly less dominant than they were, but I never could have anticipated the decline or the number of false dawns. :drooling_face:

1 Like

A bloke named Kevin Sheedy coached Essendon in the AFL for 27 years, iirc.

They’ve been dogshit since he left, much to my great pleasure.

I think there is a very strong argument for use by dates, if only because being the centre of a little universe for so long seems to completely stunt any planning for when you ain’t.

2 Likes

To be fair, he walked straight into a title winning Juve first team after having spent the previous season being forced to watch the likes of geriatric scholes and Giggs play regularly, a shit riddled Fletcher and an always shit Anderson play. Christ, Tom Fucking Cleverly got more games than he did.

Money had already gone out of the Italian game by then and there is no doubt that he’d have made more as an established first team player at Utd than for that version of Juve, but Fergie just wasnt ready to give him his shot, and I think that is something that should be part of his legacy. The flip side of increasingly relying on old players was a growing unwillingness to give young players their shot. Maybe he was scared by a generation of academy graduates who werent good enough, but the reality is he lost Pique and Pogba for next to nothing because he either didnt see how good and ready they were, or because he lost his bottle to risk playing kids.

6 Likes

Every year they tell anyone who cares who they are targeting or it often feels like it.

Every year they end up paying over the odds it’s just baffling their approach to the market.

As for Woodward I thought he was leaving last summer? His retirement has been longer than an average “last tour of the Eagles”

3 Likes

I don’t see any sort of long term strategic planning with Ole. He was brought in as a palate cleanser post-José.

I know people have pointed out that he’s won more games than Klopp did in his first 164 games as Liverpool manager. But Ole was taking over a club that had finished second in the premier league during the previous season. A club full of expensive signings all over the pitch. Klopp was taking over a rebuilding squad that had just watched Suarez, Sterling, and Gerrard leave in the previous 12 months.

And yet, with Klopp, you could always see the strategic, longterm vision in his approach. You could see how every signing was helping Klopp effectuate his ideal shape and tactics. You don’t get that sense with Ole.

1 Like
11 Likes

That’s actually Nicky Butt in disguise.

As soon as that Arse game was mentioned I thought of Couts disposessing Özil.

Happy days. :nerd_face:

1 Like
4 Likes

It really is shocking. If you go back a few frames to the ball being played into Jota’s feet you can Maguire being really uncertain of what he’s supposed to do with Bobby and that is a dangerous thing for Utd.

What takes another moment to recognize is that Lindeloff has already completely sold himself to follow Jota

By the time the Bobby gets the ball, Maguire is on his where to no where leaving Shaw the only defender anywhere near being actually defending and has 2 players and 1/3 of the pitch to cover

We moved the ball well, but it was Utd who unbalanced themselves by the time of that first screen grab without us really having had to do anything to cause it.

4 Likes

Yeah this was the error that really jumped out at me. He got dragged so far out by Bobby (who is tough to track but doesn’t vary from his nature as someone who likes to drop deep) that Shaw was basically patrolling the entire central defensive area, not to mention his own flank. Shambles.

2 Likes

Hooray!

3 Likes

Well, final until maybe next weekend.

3 Likes

I think he is dead and I said that after the Leicester game (that he needed to win against us or it he was dead). Given the way we won, and how easy it was, it was worse than a normal defeat. The fan base has turned against him big time and then the club will sack him now soon. Because now, it will be super toxic there, which is not good for the Glazier business.

Edit: Because this is his third year, now the pieces were supposed to be in place or almost in place, and then this dreadful start is just too much.

2 Likes

Agree he is a dead man walking.

Only in the job till they can find his replacement. He could go anytime between now and the summer. But the deciding factor is not results, its the candidates availability.

4 Likes

That having been said, they likely won’t sack him before the Manchester City game. MU may beat Spurs, perhaps Atalanta, but defeat against City will be it I think. He doesn’t (solskjær) have any good will left and have spent all his “political capital”. And the only way to gain that capital back is to go on a massive winning run, which I honestly don’t think that Squad is very capable of right now.

3 Likes

I think they are actually hoping, in vain, that some how, 2-3 good results can get the fans back behind him, but even if they win the following 3, I don’t think that’s the case anymore, and then his first defeat will have wolves out howling.

Agreed concerning candidates. I think they want a younger manager like Ten Haag, and United will never in a million light years buy him out from Ajax. If they do, I will be incredibly surprised that they spend so much.
But if there is a loss to Spurs, Conte is the new boss, almost 100% guaranteed (or so I claim, haha !)

2 Likes