The Manchester United Thread: That's It. That's the Joke (Part 1)

He has become a better manager than he was at the time, but his character flaws are still there. Everything you describe above apply to today’s Rodgers as well.

Nauseating is the right word imo.

1 Like

If this happens am I allowed to ask my United supporting colleagues / friends what sloppy seconds feels like?

3 Likes

I don’t disagree with that at all, but it is hard not to see signs of hubris in his performance at Leicester. I do think he has improved as a manager, and certainly has indications of progress that the carousel stable of English journeymen do not. However, I think ManU would not be a great match for them, their hubris is far more resilient than even his.

To be honest, it is hard to see who would be a good fit at ManU. Zidane, probably a disaster, and I don’t think he is fond of les Anglaises anyway. Pochettino would potentially be a great choice, but the timing doesn’t appear right (that may be what is keeping Ole in a job, ManU board might see him as their Klopp). Conte ship has sailed.

3 Likes

Yep, right you are - closing down a clearance, and it went off his chest as I recall, right into the goal.

1 Like

Bingo. This story about him taking credit on a Friday for stumbling upon the back three — only to get dismantled by United on the Sunday — is telling.

(Side note: Thank f**k Mata didn’t take the penalty in injury time in that game; not sure how I would have coped with him scoring a hat-trick at Anfield, and even better that Salah did so at OT.)

Yeah, everything I’ve heard points to him not being interested in England.

1 Like

At the time, I was giving Rodgers the benefit of the doubt, despite his auto-puffery and the blaming, although it was wearing thin. What broke me was that Swansea match, where Swansea had very clearly drilled a simple triangle, pass to get the wingback to close down, pass into the middle, runner in behind to take up the space vacated by the wingback, who then had the option of a cross or a pass to the same damn two runs each time. They really deserved a goal for running it repeatedly, and Rodgers did not adjust at all.

I can still imagine Ferguson laughing as his tactical scout showed him the game video. The next match, Rodgers spent 90 minutes undulating between looks of desperation and confusion as ManU tore his team apart…and yet still no defensive adjustment.

I’d love to see the inverse of that match sometime soon.

2 Likes

The truly mad thing about those briefings just before the ManU game was that tactically, he had already been taken apart. He may as well not have been wearing pants while talking to the journos.

2 Likes

That unbeaten run - described as underwhelming in the article - reminds me a lot of Ole’s unbeaten away run: statistically it is what it is, but it wasn’t really fooling anyone based on the eye test. Data without context does not tell the full story.

Less of a direct correlation, but same idea with United reaching the 2011 UCL final. They were better than any of the teams in our league, but they really weren’t that good that year, and despite always being wary of United getting lucky I was completely unsurprised when they got pasted in the final.

Yeah I was at the opposite end so hadn’t a clue what had happened.

Did change a direction for Liverpool games I attend away we hadn’t won before then, we haven’t lost since

1 Like

His biggest failure for me was the constant leaks to the press.

It was dirty laundry in public, deflecting blame, and clearly a power grab. It was incredibly stupid, negatively impacting both the squad and support team (no one wants to hear the manager wanted Vorm, Ashley Williams and Ryan Bertrand and not you).

To come from Swansea and disagree with the clubs structure to the point of it being if the TC get Firmino, I get Benteke (that actually happened !)

There was also a lot of hindsight signing that Rodgers would have made. Whoever was the hot player at the time. It became a running joke. VvD becomes a world class player, Rodgers was yeah I wanted to sign him :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

4 Likes

He would be perfect for Man Utd in regards his sharing of the players he wants…. They love telling the papers all of their targets so the clubs can prepare themselves to extract the maximum

1 Like

LOL, like here?

“When I was at Liverpool I asked about Van Dijk when he was at Groningen and then at Celtic,” he said. “But I was told he wouldn’t be for us at the time. … You could see with Van Dijk that he was quick, strong, good on the ball and decent in the air … What more do you need to see?”

To be fair, this was in 2017, so before he came to us, but just too damn good. He also said in the The 30 Year Wait:

“I’ve no doubt if we had Virgil van Dijk in our back line that year we would have won the League.”

And his quote about looking up to himself as a role model sounds like when Eric Cartman told NPR’s Julie Rovner that he looks up to himself. (F’ing hilarious interview btw.) Can’t make this stuff up.

2 Likes

It’s curious to me the strong emotions the guy stirs. When he left abruptly for Leicester City, the ‘effin’ Scots broke into his home in Glasgow and stole all the medals he had won for them. That’s truly crazy, but it happened.

1 Like

I think I’m in the wrong thread here. This seems to be the ‘We All Hate Rodgers ‘ thread.

2 Likes

he’s got nice teeth…

2 Likes

Saying shit like this he’s not just embarrassing himself but is also being disrespectful to his previous squad. I just couldn’t imagine Klopp saying something like this.

3 Likes

and to think, he was once loved by fans of both sets of the old firm…

Brendan Rodgers can remember registering a brief moment of alarm. As Celtic manager, he is used to being way out in front so to be left sitting behind a line of stopped traffic in Glasgow’s Clyde Tunnel was frustrating in itself

Then the door of a car in front opened. The first thing that struck Rodgers was the colour of the top the man approaching him was wearing – blue.

Ok, here we go”, thought the Celtic manager, glancing down to make sure the lock button of his driver’s door was switched on.

But rather than be met with a volley of abuse, or worse, Rodgers was about to be handed the latest pleasant surprise since his introduction to Scottish football, 11 months ago.

*The Rangers fan leaned in. “He said: ‘I just wanted to say thank you for coming up to Scottish football. I’m a Rangers supporter but you are a breath of fresh air up here’,” recalled Rodgers yesterday.

Exactly. During his title-winning interview — and pretty much every interview he’s done when winning an award — he was pretty quick to thank all the people at Liverpool and taking the focus away from himself. Augmented by the anecdote of him introducing all the Melwood staff to the players, and it says it all.

Thank f**k he didn’t go to “Disneyland.”

Having nothing more than a cursory understanding of the Old Firm, I’m still about 0% inclined to believe this. :rofl:

1 Like

Also, even considering Rafa’s trip across Stanley Park, the fact that we’re having this conversation about the possibility of a former Liverpool manager going to United (something unthinkable for most of the modern era) says a lot about Rodgers.

Haha fair, but he just stirs up emotions. A little humility would have gone a long way.

It’s like COVID. Can break out anywhere, anytime.