The Manchester United Thread: That's It. That's the Joke (Part 1)

They might not even make Europa Conference League! I would have really liked to watch Ron playin that competition.

2 Likes

It is Samuel Luckhurst who claims this I think. From the Manchester Evening news. Sometimes he has sources, at other times I have noticed he reports unsubstantiated gossip. Hard to say what this is, unsubstantiated or substantiated gossip. One of the two.

He’s a weird one — solid reporter sometimes but also a bit of a tool. He called Henderson a “snide” (not accounting for his own team’s number of snides) and then went all holier-than-thou about how our reporters in the press box shouldn’t have celebrated our goals at Old Trafford last year — “they certainly won’t get away with that on Sunday with the fans there.”

Turns out they didn’t need to — our traveling fans did it for them. :rofl:

Meh, I am not sure I would call him a solid reporter. He reports a bit too much gossip for my taste. But stuff opinionated people who support another team says, mostly don’t provoke me (as long as it does not cross the line of decency). I am sure a Liverpool supporting tabloid reporter sometimes says less than bright stuff about City and United at times as well. If he thought Henderson was snide, maybe it appeared so to him because of his Manchester United supporting glasses that he views the world through. Or maybe he made it up for publicity’s sake. Many of the tabloid journalists in England makes up stuff and ventures into the field of reporting what they suspect more than they know.

But is he even good at this? Which coach even does this nowadays?

He’d certainly do a job AND tell CR7 to fuck off.

I don’t know. I would think he has a fair idea of some of the players he would like to see come to the club and in the near term one or two players may make enough difference to allow him and the recruitment team to work out the longer term plan together.

The fact he has a somewhat clear plan as to how he wants his teams to play gives him an advantage in narrowing down potential targets.

1 Like

Or do they keep him to cause more disruption and mayhem…

All the memes aside, I’ve not been particularly bothered about Ole.
I’m not convinced they’re able to identify the right man, let alone convince him, let alone show the required patience.
From their perspective, speaking somewhat realistically, Pochettino or Hag are surely the best options, but that’s an hefty “somewhat”.
Rodgers could do something, I suppose, but I doubt the support will give him the time and space. And, of course, his head might explode before he even gets to Carrington.
Carrick it is, then.

2 Likes

If Ole had more sense than ego he would have realised the job was toooo big for him from the off… He could have kept reminding everyone that he was only an interim manager until the new manager came in. When that happened he could have melted into the background staff at some level, whilst he matured, studied the game properly and earned his man management and coaching stripes behind the scenes without any pressure…
But no no no… Billy Big Bollox that he thought he was, decided he was good enough from day one to go toe to toe with the likes of our Jurgen and become the darling of the media and Old Toilet… Now he has demonstrated to the footballing globe he was a useless prat of a manager who was totally totally totally out of his depth managing in the Premiership and Europe… What did he say once in an interview…
“We won’t have to wait 30yrs to win our next title…”
What a snidey little runt he showed himself to be…

7 Likes

Did he really have big ambitions before he got the interim, though?

Not as big as that, although he has always dreamed about managing Manchester United. But it was a big surprise when they gave him the job. He didn’t have experience outside Norway apart from that failure at Cardiff.

He really is a nice guy though. Or that is, he certainly has always come across for decades as a very nice guy, and people who have met him say he is a very nice guy. In Norway he was really popular before he got the MU job, unlike a certain former Liverpool player who is almost universally loathed in my country.

Anyway, I like him, I am not going to write crap about him anymore and now I don’t need to hope he fails anymore either, which is quite, quite nice. It was honestly an emotional chore having him at United, since he is quite hard to truly dislike imo.

2 Likes

Who is that certain LFC player?

1 Like

I don’t want to provoke people and make a drama or get enemies by writing what I think about him. But he is from my region and I don’t know a soul that likes him, and that includes Norwegian Liverpool supporters.
I guessed I just dropped that (perhaps I shouldn’t) because I was becoming a bit exasperated and tired reading what an asshole Ole Gunnar is, when I know that most of the other Norwegian Pros of note are far less sympathetic than he has been over the years.
But it’s not Stig Inge. He is cool. Seems nice. I don’t know him of course, but seems nice. He isn’t a drama queen and isn’t in the newspaper a lot though.

John Arne Riise is on his way to Magnus’ place to kick his ass.

9 Likes

I don’t think anyone is saying that Ole’s a bad guy. He was just way out of his depth.

4 Likes

Or maybe his mother, the infamous dragon.

He really was and I am glad he is gone.

1 Like

best news I’ve heard all week.

1 Like

He’s just a bitter old man that has made some horrible decisions in life. Not bad, just unfortunate.