The Manchester United Thread: That's It. That's the Joke (Part 1)

I don’t think this kind of abuse is entirely motivated by sex. It’s more to do with completely controlling someone. There are a cluster of personality disorders at work here, but right at the bottom of it all is a calculating, psychopathic and evil little cunt.
Edit: If these people had no control over their behaviour they would do it in public too. They know exactly what they’re doing. The girl’s dad even spoke up for him at first! It’s evil!

6 Likes

They are if they don’t comport with considered decency and acted upon. For example, you can conduct any acts in your head but acting them out in the real world either complies with the law or it doesn’t.

1 Like

No, to hell with that idea. That reasoning leads many countries to maintain bans on homosexuality.

As for your argument about legality, I did say that whatever they do has to be ethically and legally acceptable.

2 Likes

No. You fancy kids and don’t act on it, have a fucking medal. It’s the action that counts, not the proclivity. We can’t change the way we’re wired but we can and do have control over what we actually do. That’s what separates humans from animals

1 Like

Whatever a person’s sexual preference or practice, what is unquestionably wrong is the things Greenwood appears to have been arrested for: non-consensual sex, assault, and death threats.

Edit:
I had in mind appetite for sex, role play, any of that sort of stuff. Obviously since kids have been brought into it, dead wrong, illegal. But that’s not what Greenwood is in trouble for.

2 Likes

Devil’s advocate here regarding her fathers interview:

A) the level of abuse people recieve for outing footballers behaviour is immense - this a very vocal section of society that would blame her for all aspects of this and would use the anonymity afforded by social media to harass and abuse the poor girl. Saying it was a hacking and she cared for him would deflect the blame that she would receive for this. Just look at the way people have defended Ronaldo even since the emails leaked - Ronaldo and Greenwood provide a lot of people an escape 90 mins every 3 days. Marcus Alonso killed a girl through negligence and didn’t even see jail time. Giggs was treated as a welcome guest despite being on trial for beating a woman. Depressing as it is, people are willing to overlook a lot if a footballer is vile because of those 90 mins. Bissouma is still playing even though he’s awaiting a court date. Mendy was still with city and playing sporadically until whichever number of rapes it took for the police to finally call him in. Adam Johnson played for Sunderland even after admitting guilt because he had yet to be sentenced. Raith Rovers have just signed a convicted rapist and lost the captain of their women’s team and one of their officials because the board released a statement basically saying “yeah he’s a rapist but he scores goals”. These are just the sexual offenders I can think of off the top of my head, that’s not even going to the likes of Joey Barton regularly assaulting people. Football fans, a very vocal portion of them, will forgive a lot and direct their outrage towards the victims for threatening to disrupt the team they support. The girls dad has deflected that a bit by saying she didn’t want to release the pictures/audio snippet and thought a lot of Greenwood until he did what he did.

B) it is illegal to record and distribute that recording without the permission of the person recorded - why tv shows need permissions before showing people in background and some people randomly have blurred faces amidst a crowd, also why most leaked video and audio used by the news etc. comes from “anonymous sources” rather than a specific person. In a depressing irony I very much doubt that Greenwood has consented to this recording or its release. Claiming a hack legally protects his daughter and smacks of laywerly invention to me.

Might be that he’s annoyed at losing his cash cow, but it might be that he’s following the advice of a lawyer and looking to deflect as much negative attention as possible away from his daughter even if that results in negative attention coming his way.

4 Likes

Good points. But I do think if Greenwood tried to go after them for releasing recordings made without his consent, he’d be lynched.

1 Like

A very valid point. Didn’t think of that before.

Also would rather this thread be about man utd. The legal ramifications of commenting on this case aside , the greenwood discussion can probably go to a non-football thread.

2 Likes

A psychopath will always be one regardless of the amount of money they have.

Money does play a factor as it enables them more but it’s not the main factor.

1 Like

It’s the same mentality that makes football clubs a particularly attractive proposition for human rights abusing regimes looking for a bit of sportswashing.

6 Likes

I think you need to be careful about some of these claims, I don’t think they’re all accurate.

1 Like

Released on bail.

Just for accuracy, he is not a convicted rapist, he was never charged and put on trial in a criminal court, through insufficient evidence. He was called a rapist in a civil court, where the burden of proof is much lower.

1 Like

I don’t understand how that comes about. How can a civil court call someone as a rapist when he wasn’t charged of a criminal offense (for whatever reason).

I’'ve just read up on the raith rovers player but that boggles the mind. He might well be guilty of the act but if there’s no proof… sheesh

Kopstar can probably explain that question much better than I can.

Me and the other mods have been having a think about this, and we think it’s best to park the talk about the Greenwood allegations now. It’s an active criminal investigation, and it’s not something that should be risking prejudicing at this point.

Luckily it’s Utd, so we’re not short of stuff to take the piss out of - like giving Pogba a new contract ffs.

11 Likes

11 posts were merged into an existing topic: Innocent Until Proven Guilty or The Legal Thread

Absolutely boggled my mind when I heard they were negotiating a massive raise for Pogba… immensely talented, plays well 1 game in 10, dead weight in the rest.

Incredibly expensive both in pounds and team spirit to carry that week after week in the hope he focuses for the one big game or cup final where his talent might make a difference.

1 Like