The Manchester United Thread: That's It. That's the Joke (Part 1)

Not only missing out on top 4, but also falling into the dreaded conference league will really hit them hard in terms of recruitment, I think

1 Like

I Hope Please GIF

1 Like

Contrary to the report linked a few posts above, the Guardian is reporting United have had a bid for De Jong rejected, £51m plus £7m or so in addons:

To be honest, I think they will get this deal done. After all, Barcelona are in dire need of money, Laporta wants to save face by doing some big deals (allegedly, he’s after Bernardo Silva and Raphinha, among other targets, and has to tie down Gavi to an expensive contract). Ten Hag knows him well, so he’ll probably get him back to his very best, which is exactly what Man United need in their midfield.

This transfer could be a win-win situation for everyone (Man United get the player who’s immediately going to become their best midfielder, Barcelona give his place to Gavi, the latest crown jewel of their academy, fund one or two big signings to appease the fans) but I hope we get to profit from it as well - if Barcelona fleece Man United, they might prize Bernardo Silva away from Man City (yes, he’d be crazy to leave but he is close to leaving every season, Guardiola somehow gets to keep him and he wins him the league). That said, it is highly unlikely that will happen, especially with Gundogan and Jesus leaving but one can hope.

1 Like

The failed bid goes in conjecture with the reports that Barca want 100 mil, an amount they know utd have because theyve just bid that much for Nunez. Utd are gonna trot out the not overpaying line a fair bit this summer

2 Likes

Nevertheless, it’s quite amusing to me that United fans to a man are apparently disgusted with the fee we’ve offered for a ‘one season wonder’ (now they’re not getting him, naturally), but are happy to pay a similar fee for a player who’s been shite all season…

3 Likes

To be honest, I think they are going to have to go through this. We did.

At the minute they are seen as pushovers, just like we were. There is a sense that you can just quote whatever price you want at them, and they’ll pay it because a) they’re desperate and b) they are loaded.

Missing out on a few targets while saying that they will not be held over a barrel is what they probably need to do.

They also need to have a sense of reality about who they can buy. They are not in the position to be getting top drawer targets. They need to be going for hungry players who can help them get top four and go from there.

3 Likes

Part of the contract negotiations for new players is they are exempt from thursday night football?

1 Like

The player they will never land to unlock the player who no longer plays for them

genius GIF

Why would frenkie de Jong downgrade from champions League football to Europa League?

Jay Z Money GIF

1 Like

Because Ten Hag will be the manager and he will play him as their 6 a position that Busquets holds for Barcelona.

1 Like

I dont think there is much debate that Barca are willing to do a deal. They need money and think he is the highest value player they have who they can replace with existing players. I think it will purely come down to whether Ten Hag can convince him. And at least if it were me, as a young midfielder, there are very projects I’d trade in playing for Xavi for.

2 Likes

Lol they didn’t even make the Europa League, try the Europa Conference League

They did unfortunately, thanks to Brighton

Oh shit, really?

Arse.

Yup. Extremely disappointing day in the results on that day in more ways than one.

The negotiations between these two clubs brings to mind the adage of the unstoppable force versus the immovable object. But, like, the opposite. And also made of shit.

3 Likes

?
So what do we get out of it? :wink: :rofl: